Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Should I get a dog?

On 18 Mar 2013 at 2:52pm Confused Mum wrote:
Any advice welcome. I have an 8 year old son (only child) who wants a dog. He loves dogs and enjoys taking my brother's labrador for a walk. I also like dogs but have not had one since I lived at home. I'm at home all day so there is no problem there and I could probably get my family to dog sit if I needed to go out for a whole day or at holiday time.
I'm probably worrying too much, but I know dogs take a lot of looking after. I also worry the dog might turn out to be a nutter! Not sure I want to go back to sleepless nights, and I'm a little too houseproud. BUT I do love dogs (nothing nicer than a failthful mutt as a walking companion). Help????

On 18 Mar 2013 at 2:54pm brixtonbelle wrote:
yes

On 18 Mar 2013 at 3:05pm Confused Mum wrote:
I need someone like you BB, I spend ages fretting about stuff...Thanks!

On 18 Mar 2013 at 3:18pm Deelite wrote:
Yes, but get one of an age and sensibility that can be trained... and train it.
On 18 Mar 2013 at 3:20pm brixtonbelle wrote:
I think you have pretty much made the case for the dog anyway - but make sure you give it proper training - hopefully with your son, at a proper class, and would recommend buying a rescue dog or a mutt that hasn't been inbred to the nth dgree. And don't get a huge one. HOpe it works out

On 18 Mar 2013 at 3:45pm Blip wrote:
And think about taking out insurance, for vet's fees etc.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm Compass wrote:
Get a retired racing greyhound . Have a look at the RGT website. Very gentle ,make great pets.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 4:01pm Nevil Rook wrote:
Does your partner like dogs ?
On 18 Mar 2013 at 4:37pm Pervy Pete wrote:
I have had plenty of old dogs. They are great fun and very enjoyable and don't need much training. I used to enjoy walking them as long as I wasn't seen by anyone I know.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 4:49pm Local wrote:
Ask yourself again - repeatedly - when we're having a week of torrential all-day rain. The pooch'll still need taking out in it.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 6:18pm Kettle wrote:
We got our dog from a rescue centre. She was only supposed to be with us for a few weeks for a foster but we decided to adopt her pretty quickly. She's now ours and it's four years later.
Fostering is a great way to find out if a dog fits in with your family.
An older dog will often need less training.
Ours insists on long walks, but that is now part of my exercise regime. It's good to have someone who will make me go.
I can't tell you how crazy about her we are. She has added so much to our lives.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 6:58pm Confused Mum wrote:
Thanks Kettle. I've been looking at rescue dogs, many of the rescue centres wont rehome many of their dogs to families with small kids. But I am looking and would prefer that to buying a puppy. Where did you get your dog from???

On 18 Mar 2013 at 7:13pm Southover Queen wrote:
Is a labrador too big for you, do you think? There are quite a few breed rehoming centres, and I've put a link to the local lab one. Labs are famously good with children and do make wonderful pets so perhaps it's worth making enquiries there?

Check it out here »

On 18 Mar 2013 at 8:05pm Paul wrote:
No - hard work unless you need an excuse to exercise - my neighbour runs with his and has got a lot fitter - whippet/collie cross.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 8:27pm Kettle wrote:
It was the mayhew centre in London. It's a small centre so they know the dogs well and will make an effort to match you up. Have a look at the website themayhew.org, but they always have more dogs.
It's a long way but worth it.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 8:46pm Kettle wrote:
Just had a look at the site and you've just missed a couple of puppies that were suitable for children over 6... So they will give you a dog.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 8:50pm Confused Mum wrote:
Will check these sites out. Thank you
On 18 Mar 2013 at 11:03pm the old mayor wrote:
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK COMPLETE STRANGERS - THEN THE ANSWER IS CLEARLY NO WAY GET A DOG !! What are people coming to for christ's sake ?? Is there some brain fizzing powder in the local water ??
On 19 Mar 2013 at 12:08am Judge Montal wrote:

the old mayor You should stop taking the LSD! You show no empathy!
On 19 Mar 2013 at 7:53am Deelite wrote:
And no understanding of modern social media, common modern day physical isolation and the dynamics of social interaction in general.

On 19 Mar 2013 at 9:14am myself wrote:
Try these

Check it out here »
On 19 Mar 2013 at 9:54am Confused Mum wrote:
Hello the Old Mayor,
Why are YOU communicating with strangers on here?

On 19 Mar 2013 at 11:24am Old Cynic wrote:
Get a retired Greyhound - smashing, gentle, well behaved, good on a lead, only needs short walks, you can get cat and child friendly ones, not smelly. Downside - big poos, cant let them off lead unless you are very, VERY sure of the dogs recall, not easy to train (but are pretty biddable - often can't do sit due to their build). Or a Staffie - have an underserved reputation but are in fact loving, friendly, biddable and fun. Will need insurance and vets bills for routine stuff can be expensive; good quality pet food is also expensive but you can get it online much cheaper than in pet shops
Dogs are never nutters - they are made that way by irresponsible humans!

On 19 Mar 2013 at 12:05pm Confused Mum wrote:
You are quite right there Old Cynic!
I love long walks so Greyhound not really practical. Staffies are a possibility.

On 19 Mar 2013 at 4:52pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I know someone with a lovely staffie bitch, about 4 years old, that she is looking to rehome. Great with kids (the family have a toddler) and people, but she doesn't get on with the family's other dogs.
I would definitely go for a rescue. Whippets and lurchers make great pets and are more up for exercise than greyhounds. Greyhound Gap (google them) often have whippet crosses and I think will rehome with families with children over 7.
Much as I love labs, they're not for the houseproud. For dogs that don't look especially hairy, they moult a tremendous amount. I used to have a lab cross, and we'd be ankle deep in black fluff half the year. My sister-in-law has a young lab, and wore her Dyson out before the puppy got to a year old!

On 19 Mar 2013 at 5:22pm Louise wrote:
I have a staffy cross. She is very very sweet. Loves other dogs, great with kids and puppies(doesn't mind being mauled about). Not much hair so moulting isn't a problem. Or grooming.
Very good in the house. Her idea of being naughty is to push the cushions off the sofa if we have been out for too long.
The thing is with staffies is that they are very eager to please so it's quite easy to train them. Very affectionate.
She may sound perfect but that's because she is.
I think she's a whippet cross. I believe they are quite common.

On 19 Mar 2013 at 5:41pm Dave wrote:
They're a bit oogly though aren't they.
I'd quite like a Patterdale does anyone have experience of them?

On 19 Mar 2013 at 6:49pm Harold wrote:
Please remember the bonfire season in Lewes. If you live in a noisy area then remember your dog will need to be cared for. Please don`t leave it alone.

On 19 Mar 2013 at 7:13pm Louise wrote:
Dave- how rude. My girl is beautiful. Has a very sweet face.
I wonder what you look like.

On 19 Mar 2013 at 8:39pm Horseman7 wrote:
I used to have Patterdales and my daughter still does. I got to an age where I realised they were too much for me and my rather quiet lifestyle.

A Patterdale is the loveliest dog ever. It loves children, adults, dogs, cats, the world. It is also the naughtiest dog ever but in a creative and endearing way. A Patterdale needs to be kept physically and mentally occupied to prevent it finding other ways of entertaining itself.

They'll always be my favourite breed.

On 19 Mar 2013 at 8:48pm Dave wrote:
I'm pretty oogly too Louise

On 20 Mar 2013 at 12:55pm Old Cynic wrote:
Confused Mum - Greyhounds can do long walks - mine does and on holidays she potters around all day. They just need building up to it!

On 20 Mar 2013 at 12:58pm Old Cynic wrote:
Bonfire is an issue - but dogs build up a sensitivity is you are careful about it - my old dog was 7 before he became phobic (entirely due to people chuking rookies in the street when we were passing by - they thought irt was funny! And it was well before the 5th - so Im not knocking Bonfire before anyone starts having a go!)

On 20 Mar 2013 at 3:04pm jrsussex wrote:
German Short (or Wire) Haired Pointer, fantastic to own, good fun, loyal beyond question, lovable, great with all ages and so very faithful.

On 21 Mar 2013 at 6:25pm Aralski wrote:
Getting one was one of the best things we ever did. I'd go for it. If you can look after an 8 year old you can look after a dog. There's heaps of places to walk them around here and plenty of shelters that have dogs wanting a good home (Dogs Trust in Shoreham and Last Chance Rescue in Edenbridge are but two). Also if you need to go away and there's no one to look after the dog there's a great kennel - Pridelands - over in Laughton. Fireworks can be an issue for some dogs (Pridelands is full of all the neurotic dogs from Lewes over those few days) but there are ways to TRY and overcome that. I say try because it can't always be done and noise phobias can be the most difficult to correct.
I'll leave the last words to Milan Kundera (thankfully this quote is not as verbose as his novels):
??Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.?

On 21 Mar 2013 at 6:33pm Confused Mum wrote:
superb Aralski. I'm off to a rescue place this weekend. Will let you know when we eventually find a 4 legged pal
On 21 Mar 2013 at 8:58pm Kettlever wrote:
Very excited for you. Do let us know what happens.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Barbican Lewes 7:132
Barbican Lewes

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde