Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Beer and football

On 15 Jun 2010 at 10:20pm Independent thinker wrote:
Does anyone know if the beer festival in the town hall on Friday has made any arrangements to show the England game? Beer and football is such a natural fit, that it would be a shame to have to choose between them!

On 16 Jun 2010 at 7:57am 'ere be monsters wrote:
If you haven't got a ticket for the beer festival yet I think it's probably irrelevant, I think the tickets have been sold out for a while now.
On 16 Jun 2010 at 8:30am Bobby Moore wrote:
Hmmm lets try and work this one out. Either an evening with a bunch of balding, bearded, zero personality camra members and other ageing Lewesian fattys supping on warm flat hideous ale with stupid names trying to disguise the fact how rotten tasting it is, or in the Elly with Harveys at the right temperature, ice cold lager and decent grub while watching England win a game of football ( we hope)
Takes a lot of working out doesn't it?

On 16 Jun 2010 at 8:33am 'ere be monsters wrote:
And no need for a ticket either.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 8:44am Che wrote:
Ice cold lager, ice cold piss more like! And I've never had a Best in the Elly which is the right temperature or flavour.
On 16 Jun 2010 at 8:56am Bobby Moore wrote:
That's probably because you are sucking it through your crusty beard. Anyway, what colour socks do you prefer wearing with your sandals? Enjoy the town hall now won't you!
On 16 Jun 2010 at 9:14am Spartacus wrote:
Bobby, why so full of hate? Were you savaged by a pint of real ale when you were a kid?
On 16 Jun 2010 at 9:18am Bobby Moore wrote:
No but I used a pint once to attract slugs. Seems to work here too.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 9:28am huw wrote:
Not very nice Che.
Luckily for us terrible flavoured beer served at the wrong temperature is what is required to keep you in the Good Beer Guide for 5 years running.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 9:37am Spartacus wrote:
Even a slug deserves one decent drink before it dies.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 9:58am Harvey's lover wrote:
Never had a bad pint of Harvey's in the Elly.
On 16 Jun 2010 at 10:05am Old Ale Alan wrote:
Hey Booby, you forgot to mention the replica football shirt clad monkeys shouting tabloid cliches at television screens, while spilling their ice cold p1ss tasting froth over each other.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 10:15am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Nothing the matter with the Harvey's in the Ellie.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 10:53am Bobby Moore wrote:
No Alan and I didn't mention the thread bare check shirts or the smell of sweat, or yellow teeth waddling around the town hall either but we have to stop somewhere don't we?

On 16 Jun 2010 at 11:17am Spartacus wrote:
Still with the hate for pot bellied, bearded folk! Phycologists might suggest you find them threatening.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 11:29am 'ere be monsters wrote:
This all down to whether you support Enland or Engerland I suppose.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 11:44am Independent thinker wrote:
Don't have a pot belly (yet), don't wear socks with sandals, don't have any T-shirts with Old Tubthumper printed on them, but do like real ale. And football. And lager on a sunny afternoon. A strange issue to get so worked up about. I've been offered a festival ticket, but don't want to miss the match, which is why I was checking if they'll have any televisions set up in there. I take it nobody here knows?

On 16 Jun 2010 at 12:13pm TAFKAPS wrote:
Go to the beer festival in the morning, then watch the England game wherever in the evening, problem solved. Oh and lager is just complete piss it really is, drunk by people with no taste buds!

On 16 Jun 2010 at 12:29pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
There is no mention of there being a telly there. I doubt very much if they'll have it on. 5 til 7:30 should still be enough time to get round a few barrels.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 12:55pm TAFKAPS wrote:
Too late, I'll have drunk it all by then!

On 16 Jun 2010 at 1:09pm Lager Lout ? wrote:
Is that right Tafkaps, maybe that is why it is enjoyed by the majority of the worlds drinkers, including I would imagine, the majority of those in the UK.
If you drank lager, then you would know that there are as many different styles of lager, with as many different distinctive charactaristics and tastes and strengths, as there are styles of bitters/real ales. Maybe you have based your opinion on having once had a pint of Carling black label - which would be the equivalent of saying that all bitter tastes of p1ss, based on having tried a pint of Watneys red barrel ?

On 16 Jun 2010 at 1:30pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Ah Watney's Red barrel party 7s, brings back some memories.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 2:46pm Down and Out wrote:
Which was worse: Watney's Red Barrel or Double Diamond?

On 16 Jun 2010 at 3:11pm Lager Lout wrote:
Double Diamond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders,
Double Diamond works wonders so drink some today !

See what you have dredged up from my subconscious - I can't get it out of my head now ! The other advertising song that has stuck in my head from those days started off 'Duckhams Q 20 - 50......' I can't remember the rest of the words

On 16 Jun 2010 at 4:57pm sashimi wrote:
I thought Double Diamond was an ale, Lager Lout. Maybe my recollection is faulty.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 5:11pm Lager Lout wrote:
No Sashimi, there is nothing wrong with your recollection, but I am not so sure about your eyesight. Maybe it is mine though, as I am struggling to see where I have said Double Diamond wasn't an ale.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 9:36pm Down and Out wrote:
Not quite sure what the technical definition of 'ale' is, but WRB & DD were both 'keg beers' where you pumped C02 into the barrel as the beer was dispensed. Whether you drink lager or bitter these days, I'm pretty sure you'd regard either of them as virtually undrinkable.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 10:06pm TDA wrote:
Excellent thread. My two-pennies' worth - last Saturday, football upstairs in the JHT was great, not lairy at all, and free chips too. Plus it didn't smell of disinfectant like the downstairs often does.

On 16 Jun 2010 at 11:01pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Votes on best looking team in world cup so far.
1. Italy
2. cote d'ivoire (nice tight shirts)
3. spain

Just my personal opinion without the benfit of beer.

With the benefit of beer, England still wouldn't make the grade, sadly, although Beckham has to be one of the most gorgeous looking men alive

On 17 Jun 2010 at 12:22am Pub garden wrote:
In response to the earlier question, I was informed by the gentleman setting up the cooling units at the beer fest that they will not be showing the football.

On 17 Jun 2010 at 2:35am SG wrote:
Where's the best place to watch the football in Lewes, then?

On 17 Jun 2010 at 7:02am Engerland fan wrote:
Elly or in the marquee at the chalk pit. Apparently, it was heaving at the chalk pit !!!

On 17 Jun 2010 at 8:41am TAFKAPS wrote:
Currys window with a few bottles of ale from Tesco!

On 17 Jun 2010 at 9:43am Lager Lout wrote:
Full name was Double Diamond Burton Ale, so yes, unless they were in breach of trades descriptions, it was an ale.

On 17 Jun 2010 at 10:04am Down and Out wrote:
Back on to the history of rubbish beer in the 70's and TV adverts, where I grew up, further west in the home counties, we (OK, my Dad) used to get bottled beer delivered in crates from Davenports. Did they have Davenports deliveries in Lewes?
youtube.com/watch?v=CgCrwqzuubY

On 17 Jun 2010 at 10:21am Down and Out wrote:
On World Cup appearances, I have to say that Diego Armando has gone up a notch or two in my estimation simply for the superb suit he was wearing for the first Argentina game. And he hates Michel Platini so he can't be all bad.

The idea of our lot being forced to wear those hideous M&S suits is a disgrace. They're Englishmen for goodness' sake. The idea that we should put a couple of quid in a sponsorship deal ahead of decent tailoring speaks volumes about the benighted state of our nation.

On 17 Jun 2010 at 11:03am jrsussex wrote:
Double Diamond was sold through a pump and as a bottled beer. I'm fairly sure that back then real ale could not be bottled so some of it must have been a normal bitter. That is of course assuming that when you use the term "ALE" you are referring to real ale and not pump/bottled delivered bitters. And of course I mean hand pumps not those used to deliver keg pressured beers.

On 17 Jun 2010 at 11:09am Down and Out wrote:
jrs - DD was on draught but never hand-pulled, surely? I remember it being quite dark, sweet, very fizzy and utterly tasteless. Not entirely unlike Newcastle Brown.

On 17 Jun 2010 at 12:26pm jrsussex wrote:
Down and Out - To be honest I'm struggling to remember but I think you are correct. What is throwing me off the scent is the referrals to "ale", I think of ale as real ale as opposed to keg bitters. Like you I'm fairly sure that is was never a hand pump beer so to me it was a bitter which should not be confused with lovingly brewed real ales (most of them anyway). Like Red Barrel it was never in the premier division of beers. There is a very old joke about Red Barrel which cannot be told here, some may have heard it, it concerned drinking Red Barrel and making love in a punt.

On 17 Jun 2010 at 1:03pm Beer swiller wrote:
Courage Tavern. 'Its what your right arm's for'
Worthington E. 'its the taste that satisfies'

On 17 Jun 2010 at 5:22pm LAGER LOUT wrote:
From Wikipedia,if it helps :-
Double Diamond Burton Ale was a brand of British ale brewed from 1876 to 2003. During the 1960s it was advertised heavily by Ind Coope, especially on TV, with the jingle: "A Double Diamond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders. A Double Diamond works wonders, so drink some today!" Carlsberg UK discontinued general sales of the brand in April 2003, though a small amount continued to be sold in bottles for some months.[11] Carlsberg UK still sells a Burton Ale seasonally in its Draught Cask series but under the Ind Coope brand, not as Double Diamond.

On 19 Jun 2010 at 7:36pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
England are such a disappointment. Why am I even surprised ?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Burning Crosses 16:132
Burning Crosses

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine