Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

ringmer traffic

On 29 Jul 2016 at 3:46pm EarlyRiser wrote:
Oh My God - the traffic running through Ringmer is horrendous!
TheB2192 that runs past the green is as noisy and traffic-heavy as any main 'A' road!
Drove out to the village green in Ringmer this week for a picnic with the kids thinking we'd go somewhere nice and peaceful. I imagined it to be a quaint afternoon sitting on a village green on a summer's day watching my children play.
Wrong.
All I could see and hear was horrendously heavy traffic thundering along the road in both directions NON STOP. It was 12:30 pm and it was relentless. I'm talking massive lorries, dump-trucks, juggernauts, haulage vehicles of every kind as well as all the regular vans and cars. Every one of them was racing through the village, there were 30mph signs but traffic was driving at 40 to 50mph. It totally spoilt our picnic and I packed our stuff up and decided to leave. It was as relaxing as sitting on the side of the A27 at rush hour. I decided to pop to the local shop for some milk before going home .......it took 10 mins of waiting at the road side before there was a gap in the traffic to be able to cross and even then we had to run across as the oncoming traffic was thundering towards us at great speed.
How on earth do people cope with living near to that road? The noise alone must travel throughout the whole village, let alone it completely ruining any use of the green.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm Merstham Mick wrote:
Yawn.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 4:05pm I love the countryside wrote:
I couldn't agree more. Enough already councils, just build some new towns and some decent roads between them. We pay enough Tax, council tax, road tax, petrol tax to cover this stuff (although the developers will largely cover this just to get the opportunity to build new towns), whilst you're at it employ some local firms and make them take on apprentices. The cost of housing this should finance itself. Yes the loss of green field land is heart breaking but so is having major roads through the middle of small villages.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 4:10pm EarlyRiser wrote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not dissing Ringmer, I'm talking about the road itself. I still cannot believe, days later, the sheer level of heavy (and I do mean heavy!) traffic that was running along that road through Ringmer.
Where the hell is it going to/from?!
I was in total shock. There is less heavy traffic than that in neighbouring towns and cities! Yet it's running through a small countryside village!!!
Merstham Mick - why do you say ''yawn''??
On 29 Jul 2016 at 4:19pm Ed Can Do wrote:
If you were on the green and wanting to cross to the shops, rather than waiting ten minutes for a gap in the traffic would it not have been quicker to walk 20 yards up the road and use the pedestrian crossing?
On 29 Jul 2016 at 4:45pm EarlyRiser wrote:
Yes well call me stupid but I didn't notice the pedestrian crossing until we were already crossing the road. Probably because it was obscured by the all the enormous lorries driving past.
Do you live in Ringmer? How do you cope????
The very fact that it even has a pedestrian crossing tells me there is a traffic problem in the village. A true village should be quiet enough to never need a pedestrian crossing.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 4:48pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
New to the area? I'm afraid that like so many villages, Ringmer has a busy road going through the heart of it. Alfriston and Ditchling are lovely, but the constant traffic really spoils them. You'd be better off in a village that is off a main road, like Rodmell or Firle.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 5:13pm Never mind Rodmell or wrote:
Firle - East Hoathly has been bypassed for years now. And it's a nice sized village. Used to be a nightmare but consequently reasonably priced.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 5:49pm EarlyRiser wrote:
I'm not looking for somewhere to live. I live in Peacehaven. I'm simply asking how it is allowed that such thunderous traffic can be allowed to roar continuously through a countryside village, right past all the houses and village green. I fancied a day out in the countryside with the kids and chose Ringmer cos of it's lovely views of the hills when you are on the green and cos of the large green itself, but it's far far quieter in peacehaven and I was relieved to get back! I felt my ears were ringing from sitting near to such heavy traffic for 2 hours. How oh how is this allowed to happen to a countryside village and how oh how do the residents cope???
On 29 Jul 2016 at 6:12pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It's hard to see how Ringmer could be bypassed without adding to congestion on the A26. There's no suitable route to the south of the village.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 6:20pm EarlyRiser wrote:
Looking at the map, that road the B2192 through Ringmer leads to the A22. The A26 out of Lewes leads to the A22 as well so why don't the authorities just say that all heavy traffic (haulage, lorries etc) have to stick to the A26, and only small vehicles with a height restriction i.e. cars are allowed through Ringmer? Why are all the heavy machinery vehicles driving through the middle of Ringmer anyway? They end up on the same road as they would if the stuck to the A26. Such a shame. Such a nice village with a beautiful view has been annihilated by that road.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 7:05pm Peasant wrote:
Actually we have quite a lot of business in Ringmer and it needs trucks. Chandlers yard supplies builders throughout the area. When it snows, if you can't get out of Ringmer you can't go anywhere - the ESCC glitters and the Highways Agency grifters for the trunk network all live here. Actually, using traffic flow facts from ESCC Highways ( that also lives in Ringmer), the B2192 is relatively lightly travelled compared to other rural Sussex roads. The main problem is that the B2192 runs into the A26 at Earwig Corner, and that is mega-congested at rush hours. I'd certainly rather travel on, or live next to, the B2192 than the A259.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 7:23pm Old bike wrote:
This has to be a wind up. I just can't work out the angle. Estate agent? Possible home buyer?
Far too earnest and ignorant of the local area.
OP drove past glynde to have a picnic in Ringmer? Obvious p/ss take.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 7:46pm EarlyRiser wrote:
Well I'm from Peacehaven so I'm not a local.
I was visiting my sister in Woodingdean in the morning, it was hot and sunny so I'd packed a picnic and thought I'd take the kids out to the countryside and my Sister suggested Ringmer.
What do you mean by too earnest? And why would I be an estate agent for goodness sake!! I'm talking about the bad road planning. My sister said Ringmer green is a place she often takes her kids and told me it is lovely!
No p/ss taking going on!
On 29 Jul 2016 at 8:00pm Historian wrote:
I have noticed a large increase in traffic everywhere just lately. Lewes high street has been a night mare and the A27 Brightin to Polegate. Also there are lots of European cars here on holiday, at this time of year and the low pound has brought probably brought a few extra.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 8:06pm Highwayman wrote:
People seem to imagine that the road through Ringmer mas always been a "quiet" B road.
This isn't the case. Before it became the B2192, Lewes Road, Ringmer, was the A265. And the road through Laughton was the A273.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 8:22pm Leatherhead Lou wrote:
Yawn........
On 29 Jul 2016 at 8:43pm EarlyRiser wrote:
That's my point!
It's a really busy road!
So why did the road planners build a busy road through the centre of a quiet residential village?
That's the point I'm trying to make.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 8:58pm Penistone Pete wrote:
It's grand up 'ere tha knows.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 9:02pm Old bike wrote:
Ok, I'll bite. You are asking a question not making a point.
The reason for the busyness of the road has been given in previous posts. ESCC highways dept, colas, chandlers, AVS fencing, not to mention the various industrial estates.
The lack of alternative routes has also been stated.
You say you have kids, so presumably not the youthful, wide eyed, idealistic kind of dolt that thinks everywhere should be a AONB picnic spot. And yet you show remarkable indignation at a a busy road in the south east of England. Either wake up and smell the diesel or go away and troll somewhere else.
I remember when we used to play cricket in the street in Peacehaven, now the traffic is TERRIBLE! How do you cope???
On 29 Jul 2016 at 9:03pm Sussex Jim wrote:
It might be something to do with the fact that the official east-west trunk road, the A27, was prevented from being upgraded years ago by the car-hating cycle-loving previous member of Parliament for Lewes.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 9:33pm Noel coward wrote:
My dear boy,there are more cars and lorries now!,it really can't be blamed on the planners or Beaching.I can remember the A27 being pretty quiet and a road you would let your kids cycle on.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 9:46pm Horseman7 wrote:
Had I just been visiting Woodingdean, I would have been inclined to take my picnic on to The Ridge or the Racehill. Or if I needed to head towards Ringmer, the riverbank at Isfield would have been rather nice. Ringmer village green would not appeal. I've certainly enjoyed some very pleasant picnics in your locality, both on the cliff-top at Peacehaven and on Telscombe Tye.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 9:48pm Mavis wrote:
Maybe, just maybe.....Britain is FULL ?
On 29 Jul 2016 at 9:51pm Horseman7 wrote:
Peasant, what colour glitter do they use? Can you choose, like when you have your arm plastered? Thank you for giving me a lovely vision of a lorry dispensing sparkles. Pink for me please.
On 29 Jul 2016 at 11:06pm Q wrote:
Should a gone to Stanmer
On 30 Jul 2016 at 1:58am Local wrote:
You sound like the sort of cretin who used to write to 'That's Life' with another tedious "Why oh Why" moan. Give us a break - the droning monotony of your posts is like being near the road in, ooh, where now, ah yes, Ringmer.

On 30 Jul 2016 at 7:04am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Early riser, your thinking is flawed when you refer to "traffic planning".
There has been a settlement at Ringmer since long before traffic planning was thought of. There would have been a route used by traders and farmers to get to the wharf, the market and so on in Lewes. As is the norm in rural areas, the road followed that route.
No-one ever decided to put a road there, they merely did modern things like tarmac the old track. Like most minor, rural roads, its route was determined by custom and use.
Later settlements, like Brighton, had roads built for them. The original route to Brighton came across the forest and through Lewes, not along what is now the A23, at least according to an early 19th century map hanging on my wall. The route only changed when the fishing village of Brighthelmstone became a fashionable seaside resort.
If, as suggested above, lorries etc had to up to Little Horsted and down the A22 from there, instead of using the route through Ringmer and Laughton, they would do a fair few extra miles if they were heading south on the A22. Much shorter to go through the villages and pick up the A22 at Golden Cross.
On 30 Jul 2016 at 8:23am Golden Cross Drama wrote:
Shorter indeed, Annette. But getting out onto the A22 @ G.C. is ridiculous. In a car I usually cut through a lane that takes me to Whitesmith crossroads, so going N. for a mile or so to be able to go S. The other night the traffic was stopped from Boship to the Whitesmith crossroads. Just simply volume of vehicles. I crossed over between the cars and wound my way to Hailsham through the back roads.
On 30 Jul 2016 at 9:18am Highwayman wrote:
The village sign in the middle of Ringmer proclaims that the village is 27 miles from Hastings. This suggests that the community is proud of the fact that it is on a main road to somewhere important. The downgrade of the road numbering (from A265 to B2192) was an attempt by East Sussex highway planners to encourage more east-west traffic to use the A27, rather than the route through Ringmer. So it is quite untrue to suggest that the modern day road planners have somehow decided to build a busy road through a quiet village. Quite the opposite in fact.
On 30 Jul 2016 at 9:21am EarlyRiser wrote:
To all those who have suggested alternative picnicking areas I could've gone to........none of them has children's play park areas like Ringmer has.
My Sister suggested Ringmer as I wanted a play area with swings/slide for the kids in a nice green setting with nice views, hence why she suggested Ringmer. She said she goes to Ringmer and there is often cricket playing on the green with the views of the hills in the distance plus the play area for children which is what I was looking for.
Then the volume of traffic on the road became an issue.
And by the way, when I talked about going somewhere for a picnic, I wasn't talking about a wicker hamper with lobster and champagne inside; I was just talking about a few sandwiches and crisps for the kids to eat outside somewhere nice,
So, why doesn't the road get re-routed to save this otherwise lovely Sussex village?
On 30 Jul 2016 at 9:32am Highwayman wrote:
Glynde has a green with a children's play area. It does, however, have a railway with trains thundering through eight times every hour.
On 30 Jul 2016 at 9:39am Peasant wrote:
Before the B2192 was the A265 it was the Lewes to Hurst Green turpike, the main road from the county town and market town of Lewes towards the Wealden villages to the north-east of the town.
Originally most Ringmer people lived in the agricultural settlements in the parish - Wellingham, Norlington, Gote, Ashton, etc - but traders (and the church) set up along the road to attract passing custom, and over the centuries Ringmer Green became the dominant settlement in the parish.
On 30 Jul 2016 at 7:23pm Deluded wrote:
EarlyRiser: You must be some sort of troll. Do you seriously think that that the 'village' of Ringmer was built first and then along came a main road? What I despair about people such as yourself is the lack of understanding of history, and this goes for much of the other threads on this forum.
On 30 Jul 2016 at 9:12pm History wrote:
Is The Broyle a Roman road ?
On 30 Jul 2016 at 10:00pm EarlyRiser wrote:
No. What I think is that now the road has such enormous levels of heavy traffic using it, it should be re-routed to try and maintain the village atmosphere.
I am not a troll, thank you very much.
And what I despair about people such as yourself is the way 'quotation' marks are used inappropriately nowadays. Why on earth are you saying the 'village' of Ringmer? It is not a 'village', it IS a village!

On 29 Nov 2017 at 11:41am Lewes person wrote:
I empathize. Traffic is horrible, but please don't suggest that traffic from local villages clogs up local towns instead. The A26 is too busy as it is. I actually found living in central Brighton quieter than living next to the A26 (I didn't realise that no one enforced the speed limit here and viewed my property in the daytime, and not at night when European sized lorries, and local inconsiderate drivers use our road as a 'rat-run'. We could do with better ring roads, better buses and trains, restrictions on lorry weights, and speed limit enforcement, oh and some serious action from ESCC who we pay for!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

English view 35:143
English view

Probably. Lock your doors. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde