Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Viva Lewes

On 2 Aug 2007 at 10:58am Andy wrote:
Just received my copy of this rag.
First 25 pages are dedicated to arts, theatre and god knows what. We have a review of a restaurant in Haywards Heath (in a Lewes mag !!!), interviews from two Lib dem coucillors/mp, an article about mackerel fishing (never seen a mackerel in 35 years of fishing the ouse and pells), there is a profile of a Lewes shop that only the super rich can afford (Hugh Rae ltd) and then we have "my Lewes" by an arts project manager.
Does the content of this mag really reflect a good cross section of Lewes people and their interests or are we, yet again, focusing on good old middle/upper class liberals.
Discuss
On 2 Aug 2007 at 11:42am Garden Gnome wrote:
What do you suggest...football news, best pub to get pi**ed in, best shop to buy lads mags and cheap tat, I expect...
Some of us live on a higher plain...

On 2 Aug 2007 at 12:19pm Andy wrote:
And those last few words....."i expect...some of us live on a higher plain"....just about sums it up.

On 2 Aug 2007 at 1:09pm Garden Gnome wrote:
If you read the article about Hugh Rae, he says the most expensive item in his shop is a suit for 195....that does not constitute a shop for the super rich....This shop has been part of Lewes history for some time...
Get that chip off your shoulder...Lewes is well known for it's arts and the like, so what's wrong with having a magazine about it?? It's free for God sake

On 2 Aug 2007 at 1:56pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
And it seems insular to the point of lunacy to complain about a review of a restaurant simply because it's in a town a few miles away!
The online viva lewes this week has a review of the Castle Sandwich Bar: should we object to that because their baguettes cost more than a shilling and therefore must only be for the super-rich?!

On 2 Aug 2007 at 3:50pm The Super K wrote:
Lewes Is and always has been full of portentous arty farty snobs. If you haven't relized that by now you possibly walk round with your eyes closed all the time.
Let them have their free mag, and let them complain about companies and shops that are trying to drag Lewes in to the present.
Just Don't read the material aimed at them. You could start up your own news mag filled with what you want to read.
Either way Calm down, Your an asset to this forum and we don't want you having heart attack!

On 2 Aug 2007 at 4:10pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
I read the messages a lot on this forum and it seems as if everyone's very either/or. EITHER you like Peacocks and Lidl, OR you like art and restaurants. Is it really so cut and dried? Thought that kind of class stereotyping was a bit 1980s. I like cheapo shops as much as Chav (where's he gone anyway?) but don't mind the odd trip to the theatre either. Surely I can't be the only cross-over Lewesian?

On 2 Aug 2007 at 4:43pm Andy wrote:
Believe it or not, i'm pretty much the same as you WW. The problem is, Lewes isn't the same as you and only really caters for arty-farty liberals in the town and really looks down it's noses at those who don't want that.
Unfortunately, i'm on the lower rung of the wage scale, i live in Landport (also done me time at Ousedale) and i have to watch the pennies if i'm to feed and house my family.
Yet again, the Gnome sums it up perfectly above by saying they sell suits for 195. I do believe Asda were selling suits for 25 but i appreciate Gnome wouldn't wipe his arse with one of those inferior pieces of merchandise....i don't buy cars for 195 let alone suits.
It takes me back to something i've been saying for years.....where in Lewes can you buy a mens T-shirt for less than a fiver and a pair of socks for under a quid.
I'd also like to quote the gnome "Get that chip off your shoulder...Lewes is well known for it's arts and the like, so what's wrong with having a magazine about it?? It's free for God sake"
Well my little garden friend, the magazine is supposed to be about Lewes in general,....not just for the arty-farty snobs and lib dem voters. The sooner you and people like you take that silver spoon out of your gob and stop looking down on people (as demonstrated by your comments above), the more better Lewes will be.

On 2 Aug 2007 at 4:46pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Hallelujah! A voice of reason.

On 2 Aug 2007 at 5:01pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
I totally take your point, Andy. It's not a laugh living somewhere like Lewes, where the cost of living is so high, if you're just earning an average wage (or below). I lived in North Wales for 7 years and the cost of living was a lot lower, cos none of us earned much. And I agree that there's a sad lack of normal clothes shops in town, especially for men, but also for women (if like me you're too old for New Look and too broke for Dinah and that very pretty but don't come in here you can't afford it shop on Fisher Street). However, to properly fence-sit, which I think I might be doing, I don't think that 195 quid is off the clock expensive for a man's suit. And although Viva Lewes might have a bit too much art in it, that might just be how the editors and main contributors lean. So perhaps others of us should be writing stuff for it? Everyone here seems to write quite well, why don't we suggest a few articles?

On 2 Aug 2007 at 5:05pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
I really wouldn't get worked up about Viva Lewes all magazines have a target audience, and they have focused on the arts.
I've nothing against Landport it's the home of CSBS and where my grandparents are from. In all honesty the houses there are far nicer than a lot of areas in East london. Most are privatly owned have tidy gardens, where i'm from the local McDonalds is the centre for the local gang. It's mainly alright they probably get an ASBO soon and then move to the KFC a few streets away.
I've always been for trying to strike a balance between the supermarkets, Independents and retail shop. Although it seems that people either want a hyper Tesco or just small Independents. You say about T Shirts under a fiver why not a Primark in the town. As a large multi national it would act as competittion to Tescos and it wouldn't be in direct competion to the Independent clothes stores like Hugh Rae, Wards or even Bone where they have a different range.

On 2 Aug 2007 at 5:05pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
The point Andy is trying to make is that 'viva Lewes' is a two bob advert rag with delusions of grandeur. Factually incorrect on many occasions as well. Do yourself a favour and chuck this dross out without opening it. How many times can alex leith write about a bacon sandwich he's had in (wherever). If it wasn't free, how many would they sell?

On 2 Aug 2007 at 5:24pm Andy wrote:
It goes back to the thread about needing a decent market Exiled. I'm all for competition in the high street...local shops get a bit complacent if they're not looking over their shoulders at their rival's prices and keeping in line with them. Any shop that can compete, sadly on price alone, with Tesco will get my hard earned but very scarce cash.

On 2 Aug 2007 at 8:24pm MC wrote:
As someone whom thinks *The Arts* are pretty superfluous (as is football) I find Viva Lewes vacuous and pretentious and pretty pedestrian, not to mention up it's own arse.
MC

On 2 Aug 2007 at 8:40pm MC wrote:
Here's an article for the sickening VivaLewes:
In the light of......
* Global warming and the possible extinction of all life on our planet
* Lack of local affordable housing
* Increasing religeous tensions
* The dumbing down of our society and the failing education system
* The increasing impoverishment of life in general
* Irag
* Darfur
* Too many cars polluting the planet with nowhere to park them
* Feeding your family
* Increasing rate of extermination of many species of wildlife
* Far too many demanding humans and not enough planet
* The revelation that there is no God to dig us out of this hole
...why it is important to devote energy to the small and insignificant Lewes Arts Scene.
MC

On 2 Aug 2007 at 9:18pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Oh come on MC, don't mince your words: tell us what you really think!

On 2 Aug 2007 at 9:50pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
I might become unpopular, but I will stick up for Viva Lewes on some of the charges. Darfur, Iraq, Religous tensions, Global warming are all covered Ad Nauseum by the national press. If they mainly covered national issues I probably wouldn't go on their website, I do so because I want to know as much as poss about what is happening in Lewes.
I quite like to know about the arts such as recently the Finnish play, just as i like to know whats happening at Lewes FC Viva cover both so I'm pretty happy. Looking at some of the comments though, i would agree issues such as affordable housing, possible alternatives to Tescos if your shopping on a budget would be good features as well, a debate on the viability of a market and how one could get started would also be interesting.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 5:50am Andy wrote:
Following on from exiled
A feature of every pub in Lewes (not just the white hart and shellys !!!)
A feature about each school in Lewes
Crime statistics in Lewes....maybe one of the coppers can write a monthly article.
Why no gardening page ?
A feature about each area of Lewes (ie Malling one month, Nevill the next etc) going through their development and history.
Etc etc
I've got no objection to having a few pages of arts, crafts, theatre etc. I'm sure if Viva Lewes started off with 25 pages of football, it would make the national press.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 8:09am Garden Gnome wrote:
May I suggest that those of you that don't like reading about things that you don't like or understand, stick to reading the Beano and The Sun. Perhaps a move to Whitehawk is in order where you may feel more at home.
It's a magazine about Lewes, what the hell's the point of discussing Darfur...plonkers

On 3 Aug 2007 at 9:24am Mystic mog wrote:
Viva Lewes did do a feature on each area of Lewes
When did you last go into Hugh Rae's to buy a pair of socks or T shirt. It is not as expensive as you think. On the subject of socks. I used to buy cheap ones from super markets and the bootfair - they are false economy. They do not last, it is cheaper to save up and buy quality (I do not mean over priced designer).

On 3 Aug 2007 at 9:44am Andy wrote:
It's not a magazine about Lewes gome....it's a magazine about middle class Lewes and does not reflect Lewes society across the board.
You really are a f***ing snob aren't you pal. What exactly is wrong with Whitehawk. Not everyone was born with this silver spoon in their mouths.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 9:49am Garden Gnome wrote:
Andy..... I think you need to stop blaming your lack of dosh on the 'arty farty snobs and Lib Dem voters' who ever they are? It's not their fault. I think you'll find that a lot of artists are skint (my partner being one of them).
PS I live in an ex-council house and am a very ordinary (woman by the way). I don't vote Lib Dem nor do I own silver spoons!!

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:06am Andy wrote:
I'm not blaming anyone for my "lack of dosh" as you put it. I chose a career in horticulture which was never going to be well paid. I could've been on tele....i worked with the blue peter gardener Chris Collins for a few years but i chose my family instead.
What i do get fed up with is these rags targeting certain sections of our town and not concentrating on the wider aspect of Lewes life and the people who live in the town.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:06am Mystic mog wrote:
Viva Lewes is one of a number of magazines about Lewes and Sussex.
Lets stop this stupid out of date discussion about class. Class is no longer about money, backgound or taste. Those who continue to talk abou the so called working class are about 20 years out date.
To me each to their own. Most people are middle class these days anyway.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:12am Andy wrote:
Bloody hell mystic....you tell us to stop this stupid discussion on class and in the next breath tell us most people are middle class....makey mind up

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:25am lewes trousers wrote:
its a while since I used this forum and its got very slick and perhaps a little pretentious, or am I talking about Viva Lewes. I loved the article in Viva Lewes about "Castle Banks" that never actually even mentioned Castle banks the road with its historic houses, the b and b and a few council houses. it was funny how they seemed to turn straight down to the lewes arms. Perhaps its because Alex Leith is from Kingston.
The lewes character who wasn't from Lewes but drank organic fairtrade coffee for breakfast...does no one drink coffee anymore does it always have to be proceeded with a political statement?
Viva Lewes is very slick and well done the publisher nick and the editor alex have done a great job in producing a successful glossy free rag like all these kinds of mags (london is full of them)they start to become more ads than articles because thats what pays for it all.
I find it fascinating the way this forum is so often used to complain about aspects of lewes social, economic and political and yet the same bunch of reprobates are still in control, whether thats politics or business.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:31am Mystic mog wrote:
Fair point. I was trying to illustrate (poorly) that the working class as we knew it is dead.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:36am garden Gnome wrote:
ah a horticultural man..what is your view on garden gnomes??

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:41am Andy wrote:
I used to make them as a part time business along with other garden ornaments. They have a place in the garden....just not my garden !!!

On 3 Aug 2007 at 10:45am Andy wrote:
Well...thanks everyone who's contributed to this debate. The forum's been a bit quiet over the past week or so, so i thought a lively discussion would get things going.
Hmmm....what next ?

On 3 Aug 2007 at 11:42am The Super K wrote:
You live in an ex-council house?
Did you buy it from the council Gnome?

On 3 Aug 2007 at 12:04pm Gnome wrote:
Nope but it was in a right state and was cheap about 7 years ago

On 3 Aug 2007 at 1:22pm TSK wrote:
Fair do's

On 3 Aug 2007 at 1:34pm Smile wrote:
I would have to disagree with Moggy on this one.
Class is certainly not dead and if its not to do with money, background and taste what is it to do with?
I think the 2 Ronnies sketch about class is still very valid today. the clothes may have changed but the sentiment is the same.
And while we are on the subject. I was discussing this with some mates the other day and 2 of them who regarded themselves as working class due to their background believed that is was not possible to move from one class to another.
What do you lot think?

On 3 Aug 2007 at 2:30pm Andy wrote:
My parents are both what i would call middle class tories. Dad was a copper, mum worked as dinner lady, cleaner etc. However, i have failed to live up to their expectations and despite having an unblemished character (never a day out of work in 25 years, no criminal record etc etc) i still feel they look down their noses at us because there's a bit of dog hair in the corner or we left the washing up until the morning after.
Personally....i considder myself working class and i never aspire to be anything else....unless i win the lottery of course.

On 3 Aug 2007 at 3:48pm Mystic mog wrote:
Ok Smiler, agian I rattled off a post a did not read it back.
The working class that Scargill etc. continue to allude to is dead because of the work pattern today compared with decades ago. Is teaching a working class job? No but is paid poorly compared with plumbing which is paid well but percieved as a working class job. We live in strange times where values fro the recent past are no longer relevant.
Is Brian Ferry working class - of cousre not, but he is from a working class background.

On 8 Aug 2007 at 1:22pm renee bird wrote:
Viva Lewes features the arts because it is a magazine about going out. It's our version of Time Out. It's a what's on guide, not a what's up guide.

On 17 Aug 2007 at 4:33pm P wrote:
renee bird - why does a "going out" mag need to fill its pages with the dull scribblings of Lib Dem politicians then? Viva Lewes is just the mouthpiece of the town's Lib Dem establishment.

On 18 Aug 2007 at 6:27pm renee bird wrote:
If we had a Tory MP, then no doubt he or she would take over Norman Baker's column. I wonder if Lib Dems feature in proportion to their vote? They are in power here after all.

On 20 Aug 2007 at 4:12pm LemSmunse wrote:
ImapExchange is a leading electronic funds transfer company with core
business values and a great concern for the general well being and
satisfaction of our customers. The scope of our expertise enables
ImapExchange to respond effectively to any challenge our clients care
to set us. ImapExchange is made up of a sophisticated network of agents in
six continents, having in common a blend of intelligence, talent and
expertise, harnessed to bring competitive advantage to the client. We
move money all over the world today and make every corner of the
world accessible to ImapExchange customers! For that reason, we shall be
happy to welcome you - people competent, pro-active, energetic and purposeful
- among our Company's staff. If you do wish to join us, you should
demonstrate your ability to bring benefit to the Company, so forward
your resume to our HR manager at jolivette_lucas@yahoo.com and we shall be
happy to meet you.

On 9 Sep 2007 at 11:51pm zola wrote:
Interesting thread folks.Ive recently moved back to Lewes,i was born and brought up here,always loved it.I commented to a friend there seemed a lacking of a pocket sized guide to Whats on,where to go etc,and she said Viva Lewes had just come out.It was an interesting read,and promoted local businesses,but the Whats on was a bit thin on the ground.Lewes News is good,so is the Friday Ad,but i still feel there is need for a monthly round up of what is going on...Also i havent seen a reply defending Viva Lewes,does any of their contributors read this i wonder?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Cliffe Tableau 2019 25:132
Cliffe Tableau 2019

Look at the e-mail address. This person is licensed to kill ... you wealth. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine