Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

wycherley rents

On 11 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm tallulah wrote:
I rent from the above estate agents. Our house is in a terrible state of repair. Anyone else in similar situation?
On 11 Oct 2016 at 7:42pm Feline wrote:
Is your rent low for the area? If not I suggest you contact the council. If it is you may be benefitting from low rent due to poor upkeep.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 7:47pm tallulah wrote:
Im about to be evicted by them for rent arrears. I have lost my mind living here for 12 years, no maintenance house subsiding badly. Its made me ill...
On 11 Oct 2016 at 7:53pm ex tenant wrote:
i used to rent off them....you get what you pay for they are cheaper to rent from. if you want more pay going rate.blunt but thats how it is
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:02pm Sara wrote:
@tallulah : I wouldn't make myself so painfully public if I were you, it is rather too easy to find out who you are and where you are.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:10pm tallulah wrote:
So who should i be afraid of sara? Ive got nothing left to lose!! Going public anyway because i have a duty of care.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:24pm Kaz wrote:
Witholding rent to try and get repairs done, rarely works. I'm not surprised you're being evicted. A landlord needs the rent income to be able to maintain the property. You've been there 12 years...why, if it's so bad?
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:31pm Maz wrote:
Wycherleys renowned for failing in their duty of care to tenants. They fail on repairs and basic service. Speaking as a (several) properties owner I can't understand why any landlord would use them. I understand tenants can't be so choosy.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:38pm tallulah wrote:
I have not deliberately witheld rent. I have had mental health issues & actually have rented from them for in total almost 20 years in 2 other properties all equally uncared for as are tenants. Our living conditions have contributed considerably to our situation now.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:39pm lawyer wrote:
Seek legal advice immediately. The law in this area is pretty straightforward: the landlord must keep the 'structure and exterior' in repair and the facilities for the provision of water, gas, sanitation, heating etc. CAB of legal advice centre (such as Brighton Advice Centre) best first bet. There is no legal aid for such a claim unless your health is at risk (what a surprise) but you may be eligible for some assistance defending a possession claim.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:42pm tallulah wrote:
Even when i was paying shortfall of rent no repairs ever done! Water pouring thru ceiling for over a year when bath run while i was recovering from cancer.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:44pm tallulah wrote:
Thank you i have everyone on board inc BHT.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 8:51pm Local wrote:
Sometimes I just don't understand what on earth some posts are about.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 9:03pm Kaz wrote:
So, if you haven't deliberately withheld rent, why are you in arrears? Ill health doesn't mean living rent free!

On 11 Oct 2016 at 9:48pm Tim wrote:
So do you actually rent from Wycherley? Or are they the agent on behalf of a Landlord?
On 11 Oct 2016 at 10:04pm Confused wrote:
I rented in henfield for 15 years prior to moving to Lewes a few years ago, had a similar situation when the boiler didn't work for a month. Gave them the choice fix it and get rent or we would get it fixed, they would get the rent minus heating engineer charges. It was fixed the next day.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 11:24pm tallulah wrote:
You dont know my story kaz dont judge. Im just putting it out there. Im. Just. Gonna. Leave. It. Here.
On 11 Oct 2016 at 11:52pm tallulah wrote:
Yes they own the property. Ivor said he had sleepness nights about this house ive heard!! Wanna try living in it i say!!
On 12 Oct 2016 at 12:14am gusto mo wrote:
So your landlord didn't carry out repairs you withheld rent he evicts you. Why not just draw a line in the sand and move on. Bitterness does not a healthy mind make
On 12 Oct 2016 at 12:22am tallulah wrote:
I understand what you say but failure under Duty of Care is serious. Not just me & mine to think of?
On 12 Oct 2016 at 6:55am Adele wrote:
Naturally, all tenants are excellent and a pure delight to deal with.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 7:49am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The number of landlords failing to maintain their properties is alarming.
Any tenant who has issues with getting repairs done should get in touch with the council's environmental health department. They can take enforcement action against the landlord.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 7:50am Jonny wrote:
Wycherly kept winding up a vendor we were dealing with direct and generally fed her an absolute load of tosh ie Your house is worth 20 grand more than that!
Well if it is Mr W, then buy it yourself or find someone that will pay 20 grand more. Funnily enough, he didn't and couldn't. Tossers.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 7:50am Ivor Biggun wrote:
I don't have sleepless nights
On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:01am Tim wrote:
As a matter of interest, what type of property is it (House, Flat? Furnished?) and how much do you pay a month?

On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:01am Mr T wrote:
You have only got to see the state of their offices to know that they are not exactly keen to spend money on maintenance. I was looking in their window recently and noticed it's stuck together with sellotape.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:35am Ben wrote:
As I understand it, they only rent properties they own therefore do not deal with landlords.
The rent is below market value for Lewes, this works for both parties as long as there is a bit of give and take.
I know a few W renters and they are very grateful to be able to live in Lewes at a rent they can afford albeit in a 'tired' property. Any small problems, the tenants sort it out and don't bother W. It's a formula that works. If you want modern all mod cons and a landlord on 24 he call then look elsewhere and pay 25 percent more.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 9:01am Wotcha wrote:
Am I alone in detecting a degree of hostility on this forum towards struggling tenants with a poor landlord?
What's that all about?
On 12 Oct 2016 at 10:23am The Greek wrote:
The Tories voted against a Labour motion last year to ensure that houses were fit for human habitation. 72 of those who are landlords themselves. Currently the law stands that this is only required for houses of a rental value under 100 or something as it has not been changed since the 1950s.
"It would be an unnecessary burden on landlords", shows how they are really for doesn't it. I suggest you write to Ms Caulfield asking why her government did that.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 11:10am Smiler wrote:
I've had a few dealings with Wycherleys and always found them to be very honest and fair, a trait that is sadly lacking in some of the newer estate agencies in town.
It doesn't matter to me that their offices look a bit dated in fact I think it fits their old fashioned values.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 2:33pm Nick Von Stroogenhausen wrote:
Get used to it you tenants.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 2:33pm Fairmeadow wrote:
One bad landlord has a lot of houses in Lewes, many of them very poorly maintained but with rents below the market value for properties in good order. If you complain about the disrepair there is a real risk that you may find the rent increased by 100 a month but no other action taken. If you have a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy there is a risk you will be given notice to leave. New legislation brought in a year ago, perhaps surprisingly by the Tories, makes you more difficult to evict if you can prove you have formally complained about the condition of the property, but it is still pretty untested, and once the landlord has done the repairs they can still evict you without giving a reason. Plenty of other tenants for Lewes property, and very little available if you need to rely on Housing Benefit.
If you have been there a long time and have an older tenancy you may have a somewhat stronger position. You may even have a controlled rent, well below the market rent, and protection against eviction, so some chance of forcing the landlord to do the repairs. If you are in that position, go to see Citizens Advice before giving up what might be a secure tenancy.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 4:46pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Older tenancies currently have less protection from "revenge evictions" - those where notices to quit are issued after tenants have involved councils to try and get repairs carried out.
Atm, the new law only applies to tenancies granted since 15/10/2015. It won't cover older tenancies until 2018.
On 12 Oct 2016 at 7:56pm amy wrote:
@Wotcha - have you not noticed a 'degree of hostility' emanating from this forum in general? About virtually every subject posted on here?!
On 12 Oct 2016 at 11:20pm tallulah wrote:
No maintenance has been done in decades. Subsidence means i have had to run at my daughters bedroom doors because they cant physically get out of their rooms as doorframes so out of shape. Stairway coming away from landing. Water leaking (again) through kitchen ceiling making it unsafe (again) all sashes in windows (bar one) all broken. I had no gas checks for 3 yrs (in the past so that doesnt count according to HSE if i have current years check) no carbon monoxide alarm (5000 fine. I have an open fire) fusebox with no HCD, all sockets (bar one or two smashd

On 12 Oct 2016 at 11:28pm tallulah wrote:
Sorry i'll continue... Broken boiler a few years ago which i replaced, no flushing toilet for 2 months, water pouring thru ceiling for over a year whilst i was post op. Shall i go on?? I had to get environmental health involved because despite much communication verbally( he refused to acknowledge written communication) he did nothing. Is this right?? As a nurse i have a Duty of Care that i am willing & obliged to honour. Nuff said...
On 12 Oct 2016 at 11:42pm tallulah wrote:
Leaking gutter on front of house, collapsed garden party wall (20 years ago) collapsing party fence put in place of wall. Smoke alarms in wrong positions, cracks in walls (commensurate) bannisters popping out as stairway moving so much.... Dangerous for young children. No electrical check throughout my tenancy. Oh yes my house is 'tired' & i am furious. Ive been asking for a long time what arrears are, no response. He even got the actual rental price for this house wrong in a letter supposedly from 2014 (which i have never recieved) huh??? Go figure...!!!
On 13 Oct 2016 at 1:10am wrote wrote:
Wind yer neck in love
On 13 Oct 2016 at 1:40am tallulah wrote:
No sorry i won't mate
On 13 Oct 2016 at 7:47pm TTC wrote:
It's pretty transparent who you are from the clues in here - and whilst listing Wycherley's failings, you've not exactly been transparent about yourself, how much rent you owe (which I gather is several thousands) and the fact you've not paid it in almost (if not over) a year. And if you are who I think you are, you've been quite vocal about that in public whilst magically finding the funds to prop up most of the bars in town.
I know you've suffered an awful illness, but it's not an option to simply not pay your rent, ever. I agree that Wycherleys aren't the best with the upkeep of their properties, but the rent is more reasonable than most in town, and any other agency would've had you and your family out on your backsides after 3 months of non-payment, let alone a year.
Publicly hounding the company isn't going to make things better for you, they're just becoming a pit for you to pour your blame in. And do you think it's going to put people off of using their services? The property situation in Lewes is such that any estate agent has a queue of DFL's stretching round the block ready to hop into your (or anyone's) grave at the drop of a hat.
For your own benefit, have a look at yourself and stop making these very public and fairly embarrassing claims and focus on sorting yourself out.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:08pm tallulah wrote:
Check your facts first please. Whatever you say or assume about me, living in deplorable conditions for nigh on 20 years in 3 different properties would drive anyone crazy. I have not acted illegally. I wish you all the best you sound like a lovely kind caring soul!!:-)
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:13pm tallulah wrote:
Substitute 'embarrassing claims' for 'the truth'.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:26pm TTC wrote:
No, living in deplorable conditions for twenty years would make me move.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:45pm tallulah wrote:
The sage advice is welcome. You should become a counsellor maybe....? Maybe for The Samaritans. Sure you could help solve the mental health crisis quite simply. You probably have heard me say too that i blew the whistle on our local nhs trust 12 years ago as a nurse. Taking action, standing up for people takes courage & destroys ones life but i would do it again for myself & anyone vulnerable.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 8:59pm tallulah wrote:
Come to my house for a nice cup of tea & see for yourself!!
On 13 Oct 2016 at 10:03pm Oz wrote:
If you bang like you moan your fella's in for a treat.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 11:46pm tallulah wrote:
My job is done. Toodle pip.x

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Beer garden 9:143
Beer garden

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde