Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

where can i buy lewes bonfire tickets?

On 12 Oct 2014 at 5:57pm Olivia wrote:
Every year i go and i always go to the free bonfires but can someone tell me which private bonfire is best to go to? and where i can get tickets from?
On 12 Oct 2014 at 6:10pm jo wrote:
Seaford great bonfire 18th oct
On 12 Oct 2014 at 6:43pm olivia wrote:
i meant out of the bonfires at lewes on the 5th. Seaford is great but im going to lewes again this year.
On 12 Oct 2014 at 7:01pm North of Lewes wrote:
I've heard Southover are programme selling outside Victoria station every weekday In an attempt to catch the locals.
On 12 Oct 2014 at 7:35pm Old Bloke wrote:
For a small fee you can stand on our balcony and watch loads of their bonfires while listening to every dog in the road barking their heads off
On 12 Oct 2014 at 8:09pm Big girl wrote:
Listening to every dog. well I would tell them to go home
On 12 Oct 2014 at 8:54pm half pint wrote:
Hello this may not be true . south over b. s have got no firesite this year.
On 12 Oct 2014 at 11:23pm Woody wrote:
This is a 'troll' type question for sure.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 12:35am North of Lewes wrote:
Maybe if Southover looked after the site they had they might still have one!
On 13 Oct 2014 at 7:13am Olivia wrote:
no ones answered my question i know normally certain pubs sell them but i can't find out which ones are selling which tickets.
If anyone could help i would appreciate it
On 13 Oct 2014 at 7:56am Mavis wrote:
Olivia - You can't buy tickets, you have to be born with a missing gene !
On 13 Oct 2014 at 8:03am Sjep76 wrote:
Olivia, you can buy tickets for most of the displays at the Tourist Information Office. Other than that there will be members from most societies in the precinct in costume on Saturday mornings who will either be able to sell you tickets or tell you where you can get them from. Depends what sort of display and what time you wanted to see fireworks. South Streets display is the earliest at 8.30pm ish, the other displays are later nearer to 10pm ish. Hope this helps.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 11:21am OliviA wrote:
Thanks sjep for the response. Clearly Mavis had something wrong with her.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 1:10pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Actually, the people out in the precinct are generally selling programmes, not firesite tickets. Your best bet for tickets is the headquarters pub for the relevant society so the Elly for Comercial, Dorset or Gardners for Clife, The Lamb for Waterloo (Do they charge?), Snowy for South Street and Kings Head for Southover (Who may or may not have a bonfire at all this year apparently). I have no idea which pub Borough call home but last time I went up there which was admittedly a long time ago, they were accepting money in a bucket on the way in as payment.

Tourist info centre should have tickets for all of them too and all the programmes will say in them where tickets can be purchased so buy one or more of those. I've got the Commerical, Waterloo and Cliffe ones so far and Cliffe's is the best and I'm not at all biased in that opinion, honest...
On 13 Oct 2014 at 1:21pm Olivia wrote:
Why is cliffe better? also whats south street like?
Any way to find out where the firesites are? or does it tell you on the ticket?
On 13 Oct 2014 at 1:36pm Town Flyer wrote:
Borough firesite is up on the downs (main entrance is up the motor road), Cliffe firesite is down Ham Lane (near the recycling centre) , Commercial Square is on Landport rec. The others I am not sure about.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 2:31pm Sjep76 wrote:
I know that South Street will be selling tickets in the town from next Saturday. Waterloo's firesite is on the playing fields behind Tesco and South Street's firesite is on the Railway Land just behind the town centre.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 3:17pm Olivi wrote:
Ham lane? Is that where Mumford and sons performed when they came?
On 13 Oct 2014 at 3:19pm Sjep76 wrote:
Yes, the public get in down by the Leisure centre further down Mountfield Road.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 4:08pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Cliffe's programme is a beautiful, magazine-sized pubication, choc-full of interesting information and history whilst the others are a bit more like pamphlets with a few pictures and loads of adverts in, for the same price.

I generally try to buy all of them each year though! Every little helps and all that.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 5:39pm North of Lewes wrote:
Cliffes programme is great. Full of information including the basics of the other societies. great info on all the history of "bonfire" and not just Cliffe. If only all societies were like Cliffe.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 5:54pm Its a fact wrote:
Cliffes programme is the worst it's been for years and that's been said by own members and life members. What gives them the right to advertise other socities. Timings and pictures.? Hope all the others will be complaining to the bonfire council
On 13 Oct 2014 at 6:11pm North of Lewes wrote:
Complaining about what? Allowing people to see how the rest of the town operates on the 5th? Allowing them to visit other areas and plan out what they see and where from? It does state it rough timings and to buy the other societies programmes for full info. I think it's spot on! Well done Cliffe.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 9:06pm I'ts obvious wrote:
Cliffe = Sheep
On 13 Oct 2014 at 11:49pm Woody wrote:
Okay, a valid post. Didn't think Bonfire was ever about 'tickets' though.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 11:18am golden tickets wrote:
i was gonna agree with north about southover's moneybags until i saw the price of cliffe program on saturday, waht a joker u r m8
On 14 Oct 2014 at 1:29pm Harold wrote:
The price of a Cliffe program is the same as everyone else's. Two pound, you can buy a signed copy by the front cover artist for more I believe .
On 14 Oct 2014 at 2:03pm Spirit of Bonfire wrote:
@Its a Fact and It's Obvious - what utter rubbish you write. Cliffe are actually promoting the other societies! It's called supporting Bonfire, but sounds like you are one of the pathetic people with no idea of what Bonfire is really about, and automatically slags off the other societies just because 'they must be really bad because I'm not a member'. Do us all a favour and float off back to the shallow end of the gene pool.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 7:10pm Kerosene wrote:
I am the spirit of Bonfire - Burn him like a flamin` wotsit.
On 15 Oct 2014 at 11:10am Rookwood wrote:
If you publish the timings and routes of other societies, all it does is give people a reason not to buy those other society's programmes once they've bought a cliffe one. That and the fact that this was all done without the permission and knowledge of the other societies is why people are quite justifiably so annoyed about it. Cliffe have decided they have the right to publish a 'Lewes Bonfire Night' programme, and that is about as contrary to the 'spirit of Bonfire' as you can get!
On 15 Oct 2014 at 5:12pm belladonna wrote:
As far as I know it's still free to come to Commercial's display at Pells park and Waterloo on Malling Field. Just make a big donation into the charity buckets.
The other option is watch all the displays from the golf course, which I'm told is rather special.
On 15 Oct 2014 at 5:51pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Rookwood, the Sussex Depress publish all the timings and routes and they're available freely online in a number of places. If you think people only buy a programme for the timings then perhaps that's why nobody is buying the programme of whichever society you're from.

I suspect I'm not the only society member who buys a number of programmes each year and I have no interest whatsoever in the timings. I just turn up at HQ and wait for someone to shout that it's time to form up...

Latest news is that Waterloo are charging this year, although that's from Facebook so could be complete nonsense.

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

Classic reply Tom. No evidence of having read my post, understood it or made any attempt to respond to it. Didn't I make the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina