Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

western road traffic

On 10 Oct 2014 at 11:39am carman wrote:
Traffic approaching the bottleneck from the prison has become much more congested while traffic in the high street is less so. Have the bottleneck lights been changed to cause this? While it is nice to have the high street free of the regular jams, it is not nice to have western road full of traffic. Are studies undertaken to assess whether the overall time people spend in their cars is reduced as a result or are the aesthetics of the high street considered more important?
On 10 Oct 2014 at 11:45am Southover Queen wrote:
I have a hunch that they have changed the lights at the Prison Crossroads to accommodate the considerable amount of extra traffic using Bell Lane/Winterbourne Hollow because of the closure of Station St. I just wish they could do something about Southover High Street at school home time!

On 10 Oct 2014 at 2:17pm Local wrote:
SQ - Your hunch is correct, ESCC have confirmed that they re-phased the Prison crossroads lights in an attempt to handle the modified traffic flows resulting form Station street closure.
All they have succeeeded in doing is move the resulting jams elsewhere.
Still, it proves yet again (as does any slight change in traffic flow due to roadworks elsewhere) that Priosn Crossroads cannto cope with current traffic flows, let alone any extra.
Wonder when ESCC will actually bite the bullet and do something other than tinker with traffic light phasing at Prison...like put in proper right/left-turn sliplanes etc...

Bottleneck

On 10 Oct 2014 at 7:19pm Driver wrote:
On the plus side- the queues coming in on the Offham road are much reduced, as hardly anyone is using Fisher Street.

On 10 Oct 2014 at 9:29pm SHS wrote:
The queues down to the bottleneck are caused, or if not at least made worse, by traffic emerging from Rotten Row. This RR is often impossible to go d'own because of knows two tale traffik coming up - another effect of the Station Street closure. Kindly(?) souls on Western Rd stop and stop again to let these impatient short-cutters turn right into the bottleneck.

On 10 Oct 2014 at 10:10pm Raging Road User wrote:
And then we have a few weeks of A 27 night closures to look forward to (from 20/10/14)
On 10 Oct 2014 at 11:21pm Southover Queen wrote:
Not impatient nor a short-cutter, SHS, or not this writer at any rate. We're actually quite stuck in Southover at the moment if we need to get across town (to the supermarkets, for instance). I hate the exit from Rotten Row because the traffic coming up the hill is often speeding as they emerge from the bottleneck, so the only chance to make a safe right turn is to push into the moving traffic going east on a green light. I have been sworn at several times by impatient drivers, but it honestly is the only option. (As for turning right, I'd continue and then make the sharp right just before the 15c bookshop; trying to go down RR at the moment - actually Antioch St, I think, at that point? - is hopeless. ) It's slightly surprising that there hasn't been a serious accident.

On 12 Oct 2014 at 5:27pm Raging Queen wrote:
Goodness Me !

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

The elected government is taking the correct attitude towards the BBC: by-pass it. By communicating directly through social media... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde