Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

well done to whoever smashed machine in southover

On 4 May 2009 at 9:50pm machine 83 lover wrote:
A pay & display machine was smashed in southover high street around friday night.
Just to say that whoever smashed it must love paying council tax!!!!
It doesn't bother me as I live in another district, but you guy in lewes must love paying out to fix broken machines.

On 4 May 2009 at 11:12pm Barbie wrote:
If it doesn't bother you, why mention it? I am all for the machines being vandalised. Maybe the council will then get the message.

On 4 May 2009 at 11:35pm Che wrote:
I'm surprised attacks are so little in number actually. Do Lewesians have no imagination? If I had to play a word association game that started with parking meter the words superglue, coins, expandable foam and the like sprint to my mind.

On 4 May 2009 at 11:42pm man of the world wrote:
well said barbie . keep up the good work machine smasher

On 4 May 2009 at 11:45pm LTR wrote:
We don't pay for them out of council Tax, it comes out of the profits made from the parking scheme. I don't think the destruction of a machine is any more criminal that the flawed consultation that misled residents, or the manner in which NCP is carrying on.
Yes Bank Holiday is a day off for everyone, except residents wanting to park in empty car parks.

On 5 May 2009 at 6:28am expat two wrote:
The Italians didn't waste any time in vandalising Gatso cameras off their roads.
The council might have to pay for replacements, but then everybody is liable for that, not just the 'protesters'. If any 'non protesters' don't like it, they need to complain to the council, to find an alternative solution.

On 5 May 2009 at 9:23am Merlin Milner wrote:
Shame that ESCC never bothered to insure the machines at the start of the parking scheme. Then the costs of damage would limited to the excess. Tunbridge Wells' excess is £100 per machine.

On 5 May 2009 at 11:27am ltr wrote:
Thanks merlin, one wonders why Tunbridge managed it, when ESCC couldn't. If you want to embarass ESCC even more, ask them what they are doing with Lewes's damaged machines, and ask to see these assets we own....

On 5 May 2009 at 1:23pm Merlin Milner wrote:
It is because ESCC have a policy of not insuring any items that they own on the highway! Fine for the odd road sign or cone but not for multi £1000 machines. Sadly it is too late to insure them.

On 5 May 2009 at 6:53pm Frankfurter wrote:
Barbie (an approppriate name for an appropriately dim-witted comment) just because someone has noticed something that doesn't affect them, it doesn't mean they can't put it on a forum to hear other people's views.
People supporting blowing up machines...only in Lewes. What a bunch of morons.

On 5 May 2009 at 8:18pm Bratwurst wrote:
Frankfurter you are tooth fairy and I claim my £5 - why so vicious to Barbie?she too is allowed her opinion - and scathing of all Lewes residents you certainly do know how to make friends and influence people - just like the tooth fairy

On 5 May 2009 at 8:18pm Barbie wrote:
If my name is appropriate, can I presume Frankfurter that you are perhaps lacking in the trouser department? Thought so.

On 5 May 2009 at 10:12pm Long Distance Whelk Fisherman wrote:
Enough of this ugliness. New post...

On 6 May 2009 at 7:46am Council Bod wrote:
CCTV is being installed to all the machines at a cost of £1500 per machine, About 20 machines have had the work done on them this will be compleate in about 7 weeks. Users are then recorded and data then stored. Tapes are viewed daily all information is then sent to the police for action.

On 6 May 2009 at 8:33am Merlin Milner wrote:
Again ESCC could have insured them to begin with. Instead we have to pick up the tab for ESCC's lack of forsight.
Council Bod, what is the cost of monitoring them per day per machine?

On 6 May 2009 at 8:52am sashimi wrote:
T. Wells is in Kent where the Council have 'invested' £50m in Icelandic banks. Our council have only got 1m on deposit there. So, it's still better to live in Lewes than in Tunbridge Wells.

On 6 May 2009 at 12:24pm Ed Can Do wrote:
CCTV isn't going to have the slightest effect on vandalism, you can just walk up behind the machine and reach round with a can of spray paint to cover the lense, unless they're planning a full on, 360 degree movement camera for every machine (Which would just be silly). Either that or cover your face while you're breaking the thing.
If the CCTV isn't going to be installed in the actual machine but on a pole nearby, let's all be certain to object if a planning application goes in, assuming NCP need planning permission for such things. Also, every time you use a parking meter, keep a note of the time and write to NCP demanding to see the footage they have on record of you which they have to provide by law. I would imagine they'd get bored of the whole idea pretty quickly.

On 6 May 2009 at 9:52pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Incorrect bratwurst, as I fully support the destruction of these ghastly machines. On your other point, I have no need to 'influence' people. If people are either stupid or untruthful I tell them. I do not want their frienship.

On 7 May 2009 at 5:45pm Sid wrote:
You lewes poeple think you are all high and mitey and better than everyone else. But your just the same as poeple in whitehawk in Brighton, doing the same acts as they do if they don't like something. There is one differnce though .they live on a council estate and you lot live in crappy terraced house and think your middle class.deal with it..... A HOLES

On 7 May 2009 at 6:43pm Hissing wrote:
Sid, I think Lewes residents are "MIGHTY" in comparison to "MITEY" Whitehawk residents.
Let's face it, council estates are full of "care in the community" cases.

On 7 May 2009 at 6:53pm Council house dweller wrote:
I object to that last comment...

On 7 May 2009 at 7:16pm trixy wrote:
Quote-(A pay & display machine was smashed in southover high street around friday night.
Just to say that whoever smashed it must love paying council tax!!!!
It doesn't bother me as I live in another district, but you guy in lewes must love paying out to fix broken machines.)
Why should the so called vandals worry about paying for the machines to be fixed through their council tax as most of them are most likely not paying it anyway due to sitting on their arses letting the good working tax payer pay for the broken machines and their council tax at the same time.

On 7 May 2009 at 7:55pm Another council house dweller wrote:
Hissing .I happen to live in a council house in Lewes.That is a very sweeping statement you made.While I know some people abuse the privilage,some of us realize how lucky we are.Just think, no mortgage to worry about,no upkeep to find money for,call if repairs needed.All we have to do is pay our rent on time. I have a sneaking feeling that we are the fortunate ones in our little palaces!

On 7 May 2009 at 8:10pm Barbie wrote:
I know plenty of people who work who would LOVE to blow up these machines!!! trixy, you say that the vandals don't have to worry about paying as they are sitting on their arses whilst the good working tax payers pay for the machines. You are assuming that all unemployed people are vandals then? And if they sit on their arses all day why would they bother to get up just to go and blow up a parking meter, surely they are too lazy and busy watching Jeremy Kyle?

On 7 May 2009 at 8:10pm Barbie wrote:
I know plenty of people who work who would LOVE to blow up these machines!!! trixy, you say that the vandals don't have to worry about paying as they are sitting on their arses whilst the good working tax payers pay for the machines. You are assuming that all unemployed people are vandals then? And if they sit on their arses all day why would they bother to get up just to go and blow up a parking meter, surely they are too lazy and busy watching Jeremy Kyle?

On 7 May 2009 at 9:26pm trixy wrote:
You are right Barbie they most likely are to lazy or to busy watching the chav show to bother.

On 7 May 2009 at 9:40pm Ken wrote:
Hang on a minute girls...I don't drive.So part of my council tax payment is to pay for the machines that are blown up in Lewes?

On 7 May 2009 at 10:01pm trixy wrote:
Exactly Ken why should you pay though others stupiity?

On 7 May 2009 at 10:08pm Ken wrote:
I seem to remember someone saying on an earlier thread that council tax payers money is not use for the parking machines and thier demise..
I can't quite remember who picks up the tab...NCP?

On 8 May 2009 at 9:00am trixy wrote:
I think you will find that it is add to your council tax

On 8 May 2009 at 6:27pm council bod wrote:
yes it goes on your council tax bill someone has to pay for my overtime fixing the machines of lewes you are doing me proud looking forward to another holiday in the Bahamas this year thank you lewes

On 8 May 2009 at 6:34pm trixy wrote:
Yippeeeeeeee i will join you council bod

On 8 May 2009 at 7:28pm council bod wrote:
love to have you come with me trixe

On 8 May 2009 at 7:38pm trixy wrote:
WOW getting packing then council bod -------- i am on me way round

On 8 May 2009 at 9:42pm Barbie wrote:
Hold on trixy, aren't you condoning what the vandals have done? Make up our mind girl!

On 8 May 2009 at 10:15pm trixy wrote:
Well if the stupid vandals want to throw council tax money away towards council bod why should we not take full advantage of it.
Since we are the ones paying the council tax for the stupid idiots anyway.
See the silly vandals think they are annoying the council and teaching them a lesson but really they are just line their pockets even more. Wasting their stupid time.
Iam off to the Bahamas with council bod thanks to the vandals see you all when we get back

On 11 May 2009 at 9:22pm Frankfurter wrote:
Nope sorry Barbie your posts are still sounding slightly retarded. The mindless moron who's doing this is doing something criminal and dangerous that could seriously injure someone - what part of that does your fluffy little brain not get? The machine was blown to smithereens, shrapnel was found on the other side of the road. Just step out of your cosy little world for one second and imagine it was you walking past it when it blew. Now imagine how you might feel. And you know plenty of people who would love to blow them up do you? Maybe so (odd choice of "friends" by the way) but there's a difference between fantasizing about doing something and actually doing it. Get over yourself and see the bigger picture. As I said...only in lewes...disgusting.

On 11 May 2009 at 9:23pm Frankfurter wrote:
Nope sorry to disappoint you I am not TF. I wasn't being vicious I was pointing out something that is obvious to anyone over the age of say, 6.

On 11 May 2009 at 9:27pm Bratwurst wrote:
not convinced me of your argument Frank - Barbie gets my vote every time - the parking laws in this town STINK as do those who voted it in, support it and run it

On 11 May 2009 at 9:31pm Frankfurter wrote:
Right...so by your logic every time we have something we don't like we should go around putting explosives in it? Well you've certainly convinced me.

On 11 May 2009 at 9:33pm Stargazer wrote:
I wouldn't bother FF, people in Lewes are above the law haven't you heard!!!! Dangerous idiots!!

On 11 May 2009 at 9:45pm juliet99 wrote:
actually thats a good point, only in lewes people support this sort of thing!! unbelievable reading some of the ignorant remarks above, it DOESNT MATTER if you don't like the parking scheme someone will get hurt sooner or later. so dangerous.

On 12 May 2009 at 7:17pm Hedwig wrote:
I heard that coins and bits of metal were found right over the other side of the road, the explosion must have been substantial. Whoever is doing this clearly needs to be stopped before they hurt someone or God forbid a child.

On 12 May 2009 at 9:32pm demon 2 wrote:
might be may be but your never know it goes on till night?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

lewes railway land 76:132
lewes railway land

It's tyranny whatever why you look at it. What we need is common sense. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina