Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

waterstones

On 6 Jul 2014 at 2:02pm belladonna wrote:
Popped into the new Waterstones the other day. Wondering why they didn't make more of their art section, given the amount of creatives in this town.
Shame also they are so heavily focused on the children's section given we have a great little independent 'bag o books' just down the Cliffe. I hope locals continue to support 'bag o books'.

Don't think I'll be drinking coffee in there any time soon - all seems rather self conscious and frankly a bit weird to be browsing some books whilst Mr and Mrs Day tripper are supping their tea and cake in the corner.

What are others' opinions ?

On 6 Jul 2014 at 4:53pm Historian wrote:
Can't really see them selling that quantity of books that they'll need to pay that huge rent and staffing costs. Plus when folk are sitting there reading and having a coffee, it begs the question are they using it as a lending library ?
Plus why does EVERY shop in Lewes feels it has to sell Coffee ? Maybe it's the only thing that really sells ?
On 6 Jul 2014 at 4:58pm Maxwells Gaff wrote:
Buy some Books - Have a coffee
Buy some Flowers - Have a coffee
Buy some Kitchenware - Have a coffee
Buy some Homeware - Have a coffee
Buy a Loaf of Bread - Have a coffee
Get home and climb the walls !! On coffee ?
I've probably missed some out too. There are ordinary Cafes available too !
On 6 Jul 2014 at 5:29pm Camp wrote:
Long as they`ve got plenty of barista wallahs lurking ; needing employment , what ?
On 6 Jul 2014 at 6:08pm bastian wrote:
Like so many token chain shops in lewes, you will still have to go to Brighton to find the thing you are looking for, because the Brighton branch is bigger.
Also, agree with the coffee reference, it's just all over the place now, it's boring-why not get a licence, get epople drunk and in a discussive mood to talk about books.
On 6 Jul 2014 at 6:17pm Bongo wrote:
I popped in there Saturday, and popped out again in less than a minute! The choice of books was poor, sections hard to find, the tables and chairs everywhere were in the way all the time, and I felt that my browsing was interfering with the cafe customers' coffee slurping and cake chomping! It felt more like a book-lined cafe, than a book shop with a coffee bar. And what's with the huge kiddies section? It looked like a nursery school going on!
A large branch of Foyles, without all the cafe stuff going on, would have been hugely better, .
On 6 Jul 2014 at 9:10pm shopkeeper wrote:
And what would we prefer instead ?
On 6 Jul 2014 at 10:00pm Captain Birdseye wrote:
Take out the children's section - leave that to Bags of Books, who give an excellent service and do not deserve this competition. This will leave Waterstone's free from gatherings of enormous buggies, leaving customers more space to look for books or enjoy their coffee.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 7:33am Sussex Jim wrote:
If a shop genuinely welcomes your custom, the coffee should be complementary. I am usually offered a free tea or coffee when I visit Screwfix.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 7:41am Urgh wrote:
You can hardly call that coffee.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 8:00am fairminded wrote:
Definitely boycott the children's section. Bags of Books has served this town well for years - often stocking books that you can stumble upon rather than some of the over advertised main stream rot.
Young families could wield enormous economic clout in this regard: - use it.
The corporate business that is Waterstones had already closed, by default, the last proper bookshop in Lewes several years ago.
They can still enjoy the virtual monopoly of adult sales.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 9:29am M wrote:
I had a look in there the other day and it seems to be a coffee shop that has decided to try and squeeze a few books in there as an afterthought. It's hard to browse or spend much time in there as the general atmosphere and layout really doesn't encourage it.
If they got rid of the tables, tea cosies, trinkets and stationary supplies and the unnecessarily large children's area then they would have enough room to stock a decent supply of varied books. Not that impressed with it at the moment.
At least we still have a library, a range of good second hand book shops and Bags of Books round the corner so I'd advise using them instead.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 9:36am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
This is all rather disappointing.
I like Waterstones generally, the Brighton, Eastbourne and Haywards Branches are all fine. The Croydon one is fab, really quiet, even a few days before Christmas, which might say something about the reading habits of Croydonians.
Nothing will ever match the fabulousness that was Cliffe Bookshop though. That's what I'd prefer instead, shopkeeper!
On 7 Jul 2014 at 11:16am fairminded wrote:
Precisely!

On 7 Jul 2014 at 11:41am trooper wrote:
I went in to Waterstones on Sunday am and a very large proportion of the people sitting drinking coffee were reading the Sunday papers, I could only see two book readers.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 12:11pm bookworm@@ wrote:
We all love Bags of Books but I have to say that Waterstones was a breath of fresh air for parents and kids. A table to sit round, with things to do, and chairs for weary bums and coffee to help you get back up those Lewes hills. The book selection seemed good - we bought one! I think Bags of Books should do even more events etc than they used to and do a bit more to raise their profile and let people know these events are happening, because they're not on the main thoroughfare. Hopefully there's room for both and Lewes kids will have more books and fewer plastic toys that fall to bits in two minutes.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 12:49pm ducatipete wrote:
Bookworm you must be desperate nobody needs to drink coffee in a book shop.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 12:59pm bookworm@@ wrote:
It's true that they don't NEED to. The world won't END if they don't. However if someone enjoys the fact that they can, it's ok to put it on a forum. I don't need to end this paragraph with a full stop, as people will still understand what I'm writing, but I feel it would improve the overall communication experience.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 1:50pm Reader wrote:
Love Bags of Books...hope people keep shopping there, I will!
I would add - Someone told me a little while ago that the new owners (of 4-5 years) are ex Waterstone employees, who worked fairly high up in the company, so I'm sure they will know how Waterstones operates against competition for the good or bad. Apart from that I like the new shop, it's much nicer shopping there than WH Smith/Sussex Stationers.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 2:38pm Futuristic Floozy wrote:
Try Amazon. You get a really comfy sofa to sit on, no buggies getting in your way, and as much tea, coffee and biscuits as you like without the hefty price tag.

On 7 Jul 2014 at 2:42pm Norton Norm wrote:
Pete you should be in a greasy spoon near the jukebox - Even a modern day repro one is good . Remember Brighton `64. Leave the books for bookworms.

On 7 Jul 2014 at 2:46pm Bernard Black wrote:
Pleasant enough but barely a bookshop. God alone knows why we need ANOTHER place to buy coffee or stationery, both well served literally a few yards away. Ditch them and there'd be loads more room for a better stock. Weird and slapdash organisation, SF etc bunged in with all the other fiction, bafflingly ordered History and Politics section, and one room on the map marked simply "Non Fiction". Says it all.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 4:52pm tom wrote:
Bag of Books and Waterstones (and any other bookshop) are all doomed anyway. Amazon killed them off.
The concept of reading from a piece of paper is alien to much of the younger generation.
Kindle/iPad/Tablet is cheaper/quicker/more portable/greener.
On 7 Jul 2014 at 6:38pm lewes resident wrote:
small cramped and full of Lewes beloved,s. would have preferred a Pound Shop myself.
On 8 Jul 2014 at 12:05pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Apart from Amazon's reluctance to pay a reasonable amount of tax for the fortune they make in the UK, shopping online is just NOT the same for someone who loves looks. There's none of the pleasure of actually handling the books, the lovely smell of new books, the feel of quality paper, the serendipity of finding a wonderful book because it just happened to fall at your feet.
You can't browse a book online, randomly flicking through and reading bits and here and there to see if the writer's style grabs you or whether it's turgid and cliché heavy, or full of exposition masked as dialogue.
E-readers have their place, but they're no good for reading in the bath, and giving someone a download as a gift is just not the same as seeing them unwrap a wonderful book.

On 8 Jul 2014 at 12:30pm Tim wrote:
A.C.T. I agree with you, however it is possible to read excerpts of ebooks on Amazon kindle tablets. That's If you want to support a tax dodging company of course.
On 8 Jul 2014 at 12:45pm DickSeagull wrote:
I don't understand why the coffee chains in Lewes are always full. Full with slaves to the corporations. Go to the smaller independent cafes where you'll receive better coffee, better service, nicer atmosphere and will probably be cheaper.
On 8 Jul 2014 at 1:37pm Old Cynic wrote:
Why so many coffee shops - well, you cant buy it on line - simple :-)
On 8 Jul 2014 at 7:10pm Serendipitous spirit wrote:
Books falling off shelves ! sounds like poltergeist activity possibly the result of the proximity of spinsters to 50 shades -

On 9 Jul 2014 at 7:42am Earl of Lewes wrote:
I walked out of my job as a Waterstones manager seven years ago, because I hated the HMV (the chain's former owners) approach, in which books were referred to as "product". I swore I'd never set foot in another branch again.
However, Waterstones now has a new owner and, even from my jaded perspective, it looks as if the chain is being run by booksellers again. I think the shop is lovely and although the stock is limited, a great deal of thought has clearly gone into stocking a range that is tailored to Lewes. The selection of art books is actually quite generous, compared to shops of a similar size.
As far as the controversial issue of children's books goes, if you want to support Bags of Books, use it. In my experience, good independent shops usually survive. The poor old Cliffe Bookshop was killed off by the flood, as far as I remember, not Waterstone's in Brighton.
In the post-Amazon world of Kindles and cheap books, high street bookselling is tough. The coffee element is annoying, I agree, but it is the difference between a profit and a loss. As for the large children's section, it isn't a big two fingers to Bags of Books, but a reflection of the fact that kids' books haven't been hit by e-book sales as much as adult fiction and form a crucial part of the shop's sales.
I'm not a huge fan of chains, but Waterstones is the only substantial bookseller left in the UK. They employ a lot of people, pay their taxes and give publishers a platform for displaying their titles. I never thought I'd write something supporting Waterstones, but it is very different from the bland, corporate chain I left seven years ago.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 7:09pm fairminded. wrote:
A wise generous minded post Earl of Lewes. I do take your point.

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Assad farewell 6:132
Assad farewell

is it me or is it more expensive in the south then the north ,go on ebay or any thing u fancy buying, and the southern people... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan