Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

vote

On 17 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm lewes man wrote:
just thinking . if we was to have a re vote on Europe in or out . Would it change
On 17 Jul 2016 at 10:16pm Historian wrote:
Let's just keep voting till we get a right answer.
The EU has really taken away DEMOCRACY !
On 17 Jul 2016 at 10:32pm Tipex wrote:
Well Historian - you've got your "democracy" now. Well done. Give it 12 months and we'll see whether it's all you hoped it would be.
On 17 Jul 2016 at 11:02pm Mavis wrote:
We have a general election, one party wins, do the other parties ever demand another election ?
On 18 Jul 2016 at 12:59am wrote:
Rarely Mavis. However, we didn't have an election, we had a referendum - in the campaigning of which, Nigel Farce insisted a second one would be DEMANDED in the event of a close call.
Unfortunately, like Boris, he's decided to step away from the mess he created, and doesn't have to answer for it.
I'd laugh at how stupid the Brexiters look, what with their leaders running off and the damage they've done to the economy, but its not actually very funny.
In a way, I feel sorry for Brexiters in some ways, they're not in the position to retreat back to their country piles and pretend it's all someone else's problem. Now all they're left with is a kind of sheepish backed-into-a-corner insistence that its what they expected/wanted all along and things are better now, a whistling in the dark.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 1:58am Fairmeadow wrote:
We should demand a re-run of England v Iceland, as that didn't give the right result.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 8:10am Earl of Lewes wrote:
I voted to Leave in full knowledge of the likely problems and so far, it hasn't been as bad as I expected. Of course there will be many obstacles ahead, but sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. In the long term, I think we've protected the next generation from some of the negative effects of globalisation and can now focus on the pressing issues of housing and infrastructure without the pressure of an additional 300,000 people per year. Contrary to the received wisdom of social media, the Leave voters were not all thick, but many were more vulnerable to the negative effects of uncontrolled migration and decided that this issue was even more important than the economy.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 9:03am Mavis wrote:
Well said EOL These remainers keep bleating on, if Brexit goes ahead I'm sure The United Kingdom will be a better place for it. Already the country has altered its stance on austerity and focused on growth, which, in fact it should always have done. We have become a low productivity, low wage economy and are going to develop high productivity higher wage skilled one. No doubt history will reveal all.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 9:07am Jonny wrote:
Oh the irony. Nicola S of Scotland fights for independence as she simultaneously fights to be part of the EU. You couldn't make it up.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 9:19am Southstreeter wrote:
@EoL excellent post once again , I too voted out and couldn't be more pleased , particularly about the way it's shaken up the two main parties and got rid of a lot of governmental complacency . It was worth the vote just to get that if nothing else . I speak obviously as an uneducated thicko as all brexiteers have been branded .
On 18 Jul 2016 at 10:35am Mavis wrote:
Southstreeter you are so right ! Those blooming precious remainers get on my tits !! Don't get sun stroke though, its going to be the hottest day of the year this week. Even the weather has taken a turn for the better !! Glad you've got signal.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 11:39am JMMM wrote:
The electorate also gest to change governments if we don't like the direction a government is taking. People change their minds about what they want and who they want to do it. With the EU it's either in or out with apparently no going back. Two interesting points of view I have heard post-referendum are that we should have waited until the EU collapsed and then led the exodus, rather than standing out on a limb, and the other was an interesting piece on Radio 4 on the nature of democracy. If we are so intent upon democracy we have to look at the Lords with a matter of urgency. Vote them in and give them real power. Most of the present incumbents would get a seat in the Upper House because of their experience in Government but they would have to earn it like anyone else. Interesting times ahead - if you attack, people tend to reform and fight back. This is what the EU may well do to us because we have dared to argue against them - and we have no real time scale for getting out, could be years......
On 18 Jul 2016 at 12:06pm Dubious wrote:
Why should the remainers not demand another vote? The leavers did, and they got one. Everyone seems to forget that the recent referendum was already the second vote on Europe. The first time round we voted in!
Of course Brexit isn't as bad as had been expected, it hasn't happened yet! Still, who needs cheap goods and food from Europe when Boris can do a deal with Australia and ship expensive stuff all the way from there!
And to think, it's not long since we were all laughing at American politics.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 12:16pm JMMM wrote:
Another interesting point of view expressed in a recent Any Questions was that it's okay to continue talking about Remaining. After all, we don't stop giving our point of view about other things just because we don't get our way. That's what Opposition in Government is for - to continue to give the opposite point of view. (Well not perhaps at the moment)
On 18 Jul 2016 at 12:42pm Clifford wrote:
As opinion is divided we need to have a referendum on whether to have a referendum. By the way, are the City institutions and banks that demanded we should vote Stay paying for this 'second referendum' campaign?
On 18 Jul 2016 at 12:53pm Nigel Falange wrote:
I raise one finger @ you lot.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 1:29pm Town Flyer wrote:
Unfortunately the number of people coming to the UK to work will not change, even if Brexit does happen in 2 years. That was a lie.
The supposed money for the NHS doesn't exist, that was a lie. There is now no EU funding for Cancer research, or mental health research, or to keep our universities running, and the FTSE250 has lost 31.6bn since the day of the vote. I can't see anything good coming out of this at all.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 4:31pm Jonny wrote:
HELLO! The government are still in charge people, haven't you worked it out yet? Red, blue, yellow, green, it's still the government in charge, voting is B*LLOCKS!
On 18 Jul 2016 at 4:43pm Harry wrote:
Amusing to see Town Flyer's post getting several thumbs down. Yeah, vote against facts! That'll see off those pesky facts! We don't want facts round here, we're quite happy with our Brexit hyperbole, thank you.
On 18 Jul 2016 at 5:57pm Monk wrote:
We're goosed Harry. Kind regards
On 18 Jul 2016 at 6:35pm fan wrote:
Earl of lewes - you are a quiet voice of reason. I think that prosperous people surrounded by their smug bubble in London and the Southeast have ,
by their emotional venting shown that they have no idea that much of the rest of the UK is still effectively in recession. They have also shown that anyone who does not hold their self protecting and delusional views, they believe to be stupid. The internet has allowed people intelligently to weigh up the odds without the benefit of wealth and a privileged education; and these people have been prepared to take a calculated risk despite the histrionic untruths spoken by politicians on both sides of the debate. Listening to some of the 'privileged' I get the feeling that they are trying to hold onto their dream of a croissant filled cornucopia created especially for them. In reality we are still part of Europe, merely not part of a rather brutal bureaucratic cabal. Some intermediate suffering to achieve this may perhaps bring a lowering of house prices (according to George Osborne) perhaps a positive rather than the negative effect as he suggested!
On 18 Jul 2016 at 8:32pm Boring wrote:
A customer of mine was almost in tears the day the news broke that we were leaving Europe, lives in the countryside but London money, i told her that she'd get over it..!
Funny though, that after all the hysteria and change of "leaders", nothing has changed, we are still in Europe and will be for a fair while yet, the markets wobbled but steady again and we are still friends with France! It's all media hype, our country will be fine, and probably better for being out of Europe.

On 19 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm Observer wrote:
"We should demand a re-run of England v Iceland, as that didn't give the right result."
Probably not. But we should also not rule that England should never, ever, ever play Iceland again, on the basis that they've already played each other and we've already decided who's the best team.
In fact why should we bother restarting the premier league? I mean it's clear Leicester City are the best team in England. Let's just accept that, fans of all other clubs, quit whingeing and just move on to rugby or something else.
On 19 Jul 2016 at 3:55pm Observer wrote:
Or to put it another way, if it had been 52% remain, 48% leave, do you think NIgel Farage, Arron Banks and all the other rabid brexiteers would have said "ah ok, the nation's decided, we'll give up, disband UKIP and go into retirement." Or do you think they would have become even more vocal and rabid than ever?
On 19 Jul 2016 at 4:09pm Harry wrote:
Observer
As has been stated in another post here, Farage did say, well before the referendum, that a 52-48 result was not a result and he would fight on. Don't say this to a Brexiter, they'll just start shouting at you for being a bad loser. Forget being a bad loser, I've never in my life seen so many bad winners!
My favourite bit of the whole referendum was Nick Griffin, a Brexit supporter, shouting foul before the first results were in. According to him MI6 were working with EU funded trade unions to nobble the postal vote. Now there's a conspiracy theory for you. He does rather look like a prat now. But then again, he did before.
On 19 Jul 2016 at 4:37pm Dubious wrote:
You smug leavers can call us bad losers, but there will come a time when you realise we are all the losers on this one. And, Boring, to say there was just a wobble but it's all steady again now is a bit premature. So everything is fine then is it? I don't know if you realised, but we haven't actually left the EU yet!
On 20 Jul 2016 at 3:22pm Town Flyer wrote:
Yes, we are all losers, and everything is not fine because, we are already 31.6bn down. We were all warned of this.
On 20 Jul 2016 at 9:14pm Boring wrote:
Dubious- on a personal note I hope the pound weakens more, it's great for business. But that's just how it affects me, everyone is different of course.

On 21 Jul 2016 at 1:11pm Dubious wrote:
Might be great for your business, but we import more than we export, so prices of these goods will only rise. That is before any EU tariffs that may be put in place, or the additional freight costs if we start buying from far away countries instead of the EU. As i said before, don't look at what is happening now and think this is the worst that Brexit is going to do! This is only the beginning.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Ice Cream 68:132
Lewes Ice Cream

It's tyranny whatever why you look at it. What we need is common sense. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum