Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

travellers - previous posts

On 8 Jul 2008 at 8:03pm print wrote:
What I have read on this forum today means I shall not contribute again. The horrific prejudice and the easy embracing of violence has shocked me.That people will see this as a 'flavour' of Lewes makes me ashamed of our town. What hope is there in the face of such terrifying and threatening words. Surely the content today has been illegal; what role does a web master play in the face of such denigration - or the police for that matter?

On 8 Jul 2008 at 8:04pm Traveller hater wrote:
Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

On 8 Jul 2008 at 10:19pm In the middle. wrote:
The thing is,we are all anonymous on this forum.I know some of you know each other,but I know no one.I have often thought it would be nice to meet a few fellow Tiger Girrllls....And we can say whatever we want(within reason)Surely a forum such as this,is the best place to get completely honest views? I feel we have quite a few newbies recently,as well as the smattering of planners.teachers,policemen/women.....masonic masons...Judges,prostitutes.travellers...Chavs in cars.All sorts are on here....I wonder how many actual members we have? I bet the numbers continue to steadily climb.(And that is taking account of the few multi posters)A forum such as this is annoying and invaluable.And part of my everyday surfing.1st on my favourites,then E Bay,then UK420,my favourite other website.

On 8 Jul 2008 at 10:31pm Lewes deserves better. wrote:
I totally agree, Print! In all these posts, if you took out the word "Traveller" and substituted "black" or "jew", no one on this forum would stand for it, the webmaster would take down the thread immediately and the police would be making enquiries. Prejudice is prejudice, no matter how fashionable the particular brand seems at the moment.
You're not having a private slanging match in a pub or emailing your mates here - people all over the world read forums like this and I'm ashamed that everyone reading these threads MUST think Lewes is nothing but a hick-town full of small-minded bigots.

On 9 Jul 2008 at 10:05am sashimi wrote:
Like print and sashka I've been very disappointed in the tone of the traveller thread. It's one thing to express views about the unauthorised presence of travellers on Council land and to suggest what action should be taken. It's another to do so in such a racially abusive and unpleasant way. The travellers in the short time they were there were polite and well behaved. These families have a right to housing like everyone else. If they are evicted and there's nowhere for them to go, they go straight to the top of the housing list ahead of the 500 on the waiting list. Is that what we all want?

On 9 Jul 2008 at 11:23am well informed wrote:
Anyone familiar with the needs of travelling communities you will be aware that they have an aversion to "bricks and mortar" so the housing arguement is a non starter.

On 9 Jul 2008 at 11:43am CommieRat wrote:
I too have been appalled by the tone of some of the comments on here - but that's free speech and the posters are entitled to their opinions and to express them as forcefully as they want, as I am.

On 9 Jul 2008 at 11:47am sashka wrote:
Wel i watched yesterday as a tidy group of caravans and their owners were chatting with police, as they were removed from the Malling grounds. there was no rubbish, and no piles of stolen goods. All of which goes to show how ignorant 'Traveller hater' and his like are.
So 'print' don't go away. This forum has shown how you have to confront such people as 'traveller hater' and make sure that his/her poorly thought through views are not influential. I would rather confront them here, than think they are festering away privately, and unchallenged somewhere.
people who are living in this way, but when we start attacking groups in such a poisonous way it doesn't put us in a good position to criticise.

On 9 Jul 2008 at 12:45pm Traveller hater wrote:
Are you really so thick ?, these "people" (i use the term very loosly) are about 5 steps ahead of the law. The fact that they used an angle grinder in the first place to cut the lock and gain access is criminal damage. And then they go and illegally set up "home" on a public playing field where NORMAL kids play and NORMAL people walk their dogs.
No may i suggest you take off you sandals, put down your guardian and get away from that tree you've been hugging for the past 40 years and wake up to the real world.
As i've said before, invite them to stay in your house for a month.

On 9 Jul 2008 at 8:43pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
The more you stamp in it, the more it spreads - we have been warned regarding comments on this topic, so I suggest that we change the subject.
36 posts left after this one - can we name 36 one-hit wonders?

On 9 Jul 2008 at 9:08pm Roly Mo wrote:
Was 'The Wanderer' a one-hit wonder?

On 10 Jul 2008 at 1:36pm The Super K wrote:
And here is the OB snitch.
Bye Snake

On 11 Jul 2008 at 11:49am Bonfire Barry wrote:
"You Get What You Give" by New Radicals.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cameron and Porky 18:132
Cameron and Porky

Cast your eyes up to Mon29th Nev. I'm talking about....economic migration and it's cause. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo