Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

the death of station street

On 26 Sep 2014 at 11:01am mr bored wrote:
just like to give the council a big thank you for totally f**king up all the trade for the shops in station street
On 26 Sep 2014 at 11:12am tom wrote:
Longer term the shops on station street may benefit from the improvements for pedestrians. Most improvement work requires disruption - would you rather there are never any improvement works?
On 26 Sep 2014 at 11:18am Pedestrian wrote:
As a pedestrian I never used the shops on Station Street anyway, with grim narrow pavements and vehicles hammering up the hill. Saints Andrew & Nicholas Lanes much more pleasant to walk up & down
On 26 Sep 2014 at 11:26am mr bored wrote:
lets hope the shops survive for the long term
On 26 Sep 2014 at 12:14pm wrote:
Mr bored, do you trade on station street or just come to some conclusion because you are bored?
On 26 Sep 2014 at 12:18pm Henry wrote:
I'd be very surprised if most of the traders in Station Street get their custom from people in cars so I can't see why this improvement work would harm their businesses.

On 26 Sep 2014 at 1:16pm hooray henry wrote:
henry if i was outside your front door with a pecker breaking the road would that make a difference to you or are you deaf n dumb
On 26 Sep 2014 at 1:52pm Border Control wrote:
I sincerely hope they are all receiving a business rates refund, they must be entitled to one !!
On 26 Sep 2014 at 2:10pm mr bored wrote:
no the council say that we are not eligible as its not utility work so far trade is down by 80% and yes before you ask i am a trader in this street yes it will be great when its done but a mass exodus of public from the street is not helping at the present time
On 26 Sep 2014 at 2:20pm Henry wrote:
Most trade comes from people walking up or down the street.
They can still do that so why is your trade down 80%
On 26 Sep 2014 at 2:50pm Observer wrote:
Dear Mr Bored,
It is sad to that your business is afffected by the work in Station Street.
Complaining at how your trade is affected by the works, you were informed of the works, before they started.
The duration of the work was planned to affect station street for 5 weeks.
Pedestrians are allowed to walk up and down station street, but the road is closed to cars.
It is most certainly not the death of station street. Part of the the work currently being carried out is to widen the pavements.
Looking at the Lewes Forum and the posts put on the forum. I have a suggestions for you.
Rather than complaining that your trade is affected by 80%caused the works in station street, you may have posted on the forum to remind the viewers of the Forum, and your customers that the Businesses in Station Street are still open. This may have reduced the impact to your business.
On 26 Sep 2014 at 3:29pm Flower pot man wrote:
We are in Station Street and our trade has not been affected at all... and we don't miss the traffic one bit. Luckily the workmen spend most of their day standing around chatting so the majority of the time it's nice and quiet too.
On 26 Sep 2014 at 5:03pm tom wrote:
5 weeks seems excessive to me - i'm not a quantity surveyor but whenever i walk past the guys are just standing around. They give the impression they're on a bit of a jolly.
On 26 Sep 2014 at 6:44pm Little Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeed wrote:
I`ll be growing up under the workmen`s boots if they don`t get their fingers out
On 26 Sep 2014 at 8:24pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The long term solution is to re-instate Friars Walk as a two way street, like it used to be. And Eastgate Street, past the defunct bus station.
Then shut Station Street 9-6 except for deliveries.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Torchlit 126:132
Torchlit

Why is public money being spent on it? Maybe because there are people prepared to campaign for a safe cycling route from Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina