Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

street trees

On 15 Nov 2013 at 5:05pm belladonna wrote:
Anyone know what's happening with the street trees project that the Lewes Society was promoting ? Lewes is definitely lacking in street trees and given the wonders that they can do in absorbing pollution and cleaning the air, it would be great to have more of them. I note the Phoenix plans include a few - but not that many.
On 15 Nov 2013 at 5:46pm xplorer1 wrote:
Belladonna, if you're talking about the Friends of Lewes project, it's moving forwards. If you're interested in learning more, look at the FoL website (link below) and contact me via that.

Check it out here »

On 16 Nov 2013 at 4:47pm SHS wrote:
More to the point how many mature trees have been deliberately felled in Lewes during the last 10 years? What's the point in planting new sappling trees when there is almost no restriction on cutting down mature trees?
On 17 Nov 2013 at 8:19am Xplorer1 wrote:
SHS - trees are felled for many reasons. They're living things and have a finite life. They get diseases. Some are felled for construction/development reasons, which we may or may not agree with but have a justification. Some are in inappropriate places for their size (that is, a bad choice of species such as an oak in a small suburban garden, or a Leylandii almost anywhere!)? Some are taken down to provide growing room for adjacent specimens.
Any tree in a conservation area (which is a fair proportion of Lewes) is protected, so there ARE restrictions in place, and any significant works to them require planning consent unless they're diseased.
Check out the Friends of Lewes's website link in my earlier post in this thread to learn more about our Lewes Arboretum project.

On 17 Nov 2013 at 9:36am lewes born and bred wrote:
Firstly, SHS you are so wide of the mark it's unbelievable. Do you honestly think councils go round wielding 36" chainsaws for the fun of it.
Secondly, I don't know what direction you're looking in Belladonna but there are thousands of street trees in Lewes. You can't just go about putting trees in willy-nilly, there are obvious restrictions and therefore not everywhere is suitable for planting.

On 18 Nov 2013 at 9:04am Belladonna wrote:
LBAB- I'm thinking more of the main roads in Lewes town centre - the High St, western Rd, school hill, the precinct (only 3 there). There may be thousands of trees in the Whole town but I would say the majority are in gardens and parks and some residential roads. It's definitely worth identifying where more can be added.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Arched gateway 5:132
Arched gateway

Ugh, you give TP an inch and he takes a mile with eugenics and other wackadoodle stuff. I do sense though that the power is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde