Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

soup kitchen

On 22 Aug 2017 at 12:59am boo boo wrote:
I counted more homeless in town today.Is the anyway we can start up a soup kitchen. I would volunteer
On 22 Aug 2017 at 6:00am Lewes man wrote:
They just like free hand outs .one day last week . A lady gave then a 5 note . With in the hr they where buying beer wiith it .
On 22 Aug 2017 at 7:11am The people wrote:
Eastbourne does not allow street begging why do our Council not stop it in Lewes. Many on the street are taking advantage. Yes there are the deserving but most of those are not on the streets. Lewes is now the place to come to.......
On 22 Aug 2017 at 7:35am boo boo wrote:
They are ill so they may buy a beer (we drink beer) .But they are human the council is helping them that is there job !. more may come good we can help more .we are all human and we should help .we can use a church maybe ?
On 22 Aug 2017 at 7:52am Southstreeter wrote:
@boo boo so what happens to the homeless in your country ?
On 22 Aug 2017 at 8:21am Mick wrote:
boo boo, some people talk a good job, others put their ideas into action.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 8:25am Ed wrote:
@the people. Eastbourne has community police that work with local services to address the issue. I saw a police officer in Lewes, erm.. November.. yes that's right, I remember now, November 5th it was. One or two of them out then. Not seen any since.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 8:32am dj wrote:
I really don't think it's soup they're after.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 9:25am Country Life wrote:
Hear hear @dj. They'd have plenty of money for food if they didn't spend it on alcohol and drugs. Help is available for them if they want it via the NHS and organisations like STAR, NA and AA.
The solution to this is a soup kitchen is it? Two of these guys almost fatally OD'd a few months ago but yep they're back begging for money once again!
On 22 Aug 2017 at 9:27am Mario wrote:
Flips sake!!
On 22 Aug 2017 at 9:47am Mark wrote:
This again... Add it all up in your heads. It's not a Lewes problem, it's a national phenomenon. It's austerity. It's Tory-ism. It's benefit sanctions. It's Google and Starbucks and Fb paying zero tax. Drugs and alcohol didn't arrive on the scene a few years ago. They've been around for awhile. This is just the natural evolution of Tory Britain and the agenda will continue to develop until the streets of Lewes become a dangerous place to be.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 9:50am Mark wrote:
STAR only accept people that are close to dying. They can't do more than that.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 10:17am Sod off wrote:
@mark. Ridiculous. Those beggars are idle, smelly losers. Lock em up until they learn to behave like normal folk
On 22 Aug 2017 at 10:27am Country Life wrote:
@Mark, no that's incorrect STAR do not soley accept people who are close to dying.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 10:41am Mick wrote:
Why do people imply the problem is unique to the UK and austerity? I have seen worse in Paris, Marseille, Nice, Oslo, Copenhagen, Munich to name a few on my travels over the past 30 years or so.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 10:45am Mark wrote:
@country life. I know, I was getting a bit empassioned there. They mainly triage on basis of motivation. I'll get me coat. It's a bit hopeless trying to argue with the "they all just need stringing up from the lamposts" sorts in any case.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 11:26am Toenail wrote:
My compassion for the "core junkie beggars" is zero.
I've watched them take drugs in the public loos and then stumble out and then hide their "stash" (hidden badly and easily at child level), sob uncontrollable in front of woman to get more money (then laugh their heads off). Steal from bags left outside charity shops and general abusive attitude to local shoppers.
It's not a bad lifestyle in the summer take drugs , sunbath in the grange, beg and get given food from Waitrose.
I do accept it's part of a larger UK problem - perhaps trial a no street begging scheme in Lewes?
On 22 Aug 2017 at 12:19pm Fabius Bile wrote:
Decent, hardworking people in Landport, lol.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 1:13pm Shouldnt be surprised wrote:
The level of compassion on this forum is disgusting, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. I truly hope the people saying they should be 'locked up' or worse fall on hard times at some point in their lives and are left to rely on the kindness of strangers. YOU people are the scum, each homeless person is worth 10 of you evil Tory snobs.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 2:34pm Landporter wrote:
Nothing to do with any political party, I have genuine sympathy with those who have lost everything for whatever reason but there is help out there for them. The scrounging low life vermin who are begging do it as an occupation. Get over it and smell the coffee.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 3:04pm Jennifer wrote:
As my husband successfully and tirelessly achieved in an area in the eastern part of central London, all it takes is for councillors to declare Lewes to be under a Public Space Protection Order. This can make handing out food, bedding and money illegal, together with the acts of begging, loitering and sleeping. It is then simple to clear away the unwanted element with arrests and banning orders, and ensure it can't return while the PSPO is active. We don't want it here! Time to make this a district council election issue!
On 22 Aug 2017 at 3:25pm The Greek wrote:
Vile troll Jennifer.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 4:19pm Mick wrote:
They could at least sell the Big Issue and give some semblance of trying!
Love to know what all the "Right On" PC do-gooders on this forum actually do to help these poor souls. I expect the silence will be deafening.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 4:34pm boo boo wrote:
Not one of you have companed to the coucil i bet . But you wont help them .
If we do nothing who are the lazy bums them or us !
On 22 Aug 2017 at 4:50pm Grafter wrote:
They don't bother me because I WORK all day.
If on the other hand I swanned around town all day having fancy coffee and buying string I might notice some picturesque folk languidly holding the pavement down and tip them like their betters should.
We all have our roles to play and shoring up the egos of the intelligentsia is as valid as any I imagine.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 4:55pm @mick wrote:
I work 37 hours a week helping these poor souls. It's not about being a right on do gooder Mick. It's about compassion.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 6:33pm Tinkler wrote:
Its noble of you to give up your time for free but if you were that compassionate you would work a lot more than 37 hours
a week on your mission to help the homeless wouldn't you?
On 22 Aug 2017 at 6:46pm local yokel wrote:
I'm sure there are some genuine homeless people who are in need but there are also a lot of scum bags out there and it is not always that easy to tell the difference. Might I suggest if people really want to help the homeless then donate to Shelter, St Mungos or Centrepoint - then at least there's a reasonable chance of your money going to help those who really do need help rather than the local off licence. Until the do-gooders stop easing their conscience by throwing money at the local low life, these parasites will continue to ply their trade as they know Lewes is an easy touch.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 6:51pm boo boo wrote:
PayPal Giving Fund on its way give me a few days we need a bulding anyone who can help
On 22 Aug 2017 at 7:02pm @boo boo wrote:
Buy them a coffee or a sandwich.....the genuine homeless will love you for it whilst the scrounging vermin scum will hate you. You'll soon find out who's who.
On 22 Aug 2017 at 7:55pm @tinkler wrote:
I don't work for free!! Jeez, what do you think I am?? I'm compassionate but I'm not the bl@@dy Calais lama!
On 22 Aug 2017 at 8:01pm @everyone wrote:
And by compassionate I'm not talking about giving money to them for drugs and drink, yes that is what tends to go on, I'm talking about having a heart and trying to be a bit more understanding rather than using words like vermin and scumbags. Thumbs down all you want.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 8:02am boo boo wrote:
They tell me brighton has made it hard for them to get by .We have to do something. The are more coming they were telling me who need help too .They also thanked me and everyone else who helped them.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 8:41am old school wrote:
It wouldn't have been tolerated in Lewes in the eighties, no way.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 8:48am Country Life wrote:
@boo boo, I can only take your posts as trolling but yes, fine spend your money on soup for them if it will make you feel better and for all of the good it will do.
As another poster said the real destitute beggars will thank you and the others will, I am sure try and shake you down for cash for booze and drugs.

On 23 Aug 2017 at 9:08am French Lama wrote:
Calais Llama ??? Doo Lali Lama more like
On 23 Aug 2017 at 9:26am Hot Sausage wrote:
99% of them are druggie scumbags.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 9:27am Landporter wrote:
Over moderation again? Two of my posts removed yet you allow a post with the username "did you" in.
Any ideas webbo????????

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Clouds 65:132
Lewes Clouds

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington