Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

sir Norman

On 5 Oct 2010 at 3:25pm l.f f wrote:
R.I.P sir Norman wisdon 1915- 2010

On 5 Oct 2010 at 4:57pm .. wrote:
Phew!
For a minute I thought you meant Baker had been given a gong.
Respect to NW. Big in Albania.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 5:36pm Chillie123 wrote:
Me too - I didn't want to read this thread incase NB had been honoured. As far as I am concerned he has totally let his constituency down - Big time, the closet Tory!

On 5 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm Canoeman wrote:
I grew up watching Norman's films and think he was brilliant. I still enjoy them now. Some may knock them as unsophisticated but I think he was a Chaplin of his own time. I remember an interview in which he was asked what he would like people to say at his grave. 'Wasn't he old' he replied.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 7:15pm Stig of the dump wrote:
RIP Sir Norman.
Very sad day, he was also a lifelong Brighton fan

On 5 Oct 2010 at 7:19pm chillie123 wrote:
I could never see the attraction of Sir Norman - he was so unfunny. Lee Evans seems to emulate him but merely morphs in to his own caricature. Other unfunny so called comedians: Les Dawson, Dick Emery, Mike and Bernie Winters.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 7:21pm supporter wrote:
He was a director of Brighton football club for many years.
He was admired by Charlie Chaplin as a great clown.RIP Sir Norman.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 7:56pm Grunge wrote:
How dare you, chillie123! Les Dawson was a genius. Just try to play the piano as deliberately badly as be could.
Cissie and Ada forever!

On 5 Oct 2010 at 8:18pm jrsussex wrote:
chillie123 - I'll go with you on the Winters brothers but if you honestly did not find any of the others funny then you need to question your humourous side.
Are you an alternative humour man? Like many I think that is actually an alternative to humour.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 8:43pm Peter Byron wrote:
95? Should think he was delighted to say goodnight, I am bloody exhausted now! Loved the chap, true comic. Best Peter

On 5 Oct 2010 at 9:06pm Clifford wrote:
I liked Norman Wisdom. I was still crying with luaghter watching Youtube clips today. Others on my list of great comics (and a sign of my formative years): Tony Hancock, Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd. And the greatest of them all - Max Wall.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 10:05pm Red Ken wrote:
David Cameron is a bigger comedian than anyone mentioned on this thread

On 5 Oct 2010 at 10:24pm Matt Kent wrote:
I dare anyone not to laugh when Norman Wisdom laughs.
'Mr. Grimsdale! Mr. Grimsdale!'
A slapstick genius who inspired many more comedians in his time.

On 5 Oct 2010 at 10:50pm jrsussex wrote:
Max Wall - A multi-talented artist. As we are going into the old comedians how about Arthur Haynes, he was the warm up act for Bill Haley and the Comets in 1956 (I was there), never did work that out how that came about.
Harry Worth and many others. When talking of comedians never forget Bob Monkhouse, a little smarmy on TV but brilliant as a stage act. I once watched him do almost 2 hrs without leaving the stage, how he remembered all his jokes and lines I will never know. Norman Wisdom's humour did bring out the child in those that laughed both at and with him, the reason being he was a very funny man who enjoyed making others laugh.

On 6 Oct 2010 at 8:54am Gut Ed wrote:
I don't laugh when Norman Wisdom laughs.
I'm still deeply disappointed, though. I was first in the Celebrity Death Predictions League I'm in for months, but I missed out on both Norman and Tony Curtis, and now I've dropped to fifth or sixth.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes to Uckfield Line 87:132
Lewes to Uckfield Line

Nobody knows how those climate changes occurred, so those scientists have the same reaction as you. Ignore it and hope everyone... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine