Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

'sick' Southern conductors

On 26 May 2016 at 1:08pm commuter wrote:
Love the way that Southern is still blaming 'sickness' among its conductors for what is obviously unofficial (and therefore illegal) strike action.New franchisee please. Perhaps Chiltern Trains could extend south
On 26 May 2016 at 1:14pm ClarifiedButler wrote:
It would be fantastic if we could have a operator following a similar model to Chiltern Trains, but sadly I doubt it will happen. Would it be possible to organise a rail users 'union', similar to the idea of a tenants union, to also put pressure on the franchisee to be changed...would be one hell of a bargaining tool!
On 26 May 2016 at 1:21pm Just sign it wrote:
Just sign the petition, you never know...

Check it out here »
On 26 May 2016 at 2:37pm Lady commuter. wrote:
At a time when sexual assaults on women have reached an all time high on trains,Southern Railway is trying to get rid of train conductors.I think i would be taking industrial action too if I was a conductor.
On 26 May 2016 at 3:17pm commuter wrote:
I'm not blaming them, just find it risible that we're still being fed this lie about 'sickness'
On 26 May 2016 at 3:21pm 38 years a commuter wrote:
Yes, it is true, I have been going up and down to London for 38 years and the current Southern Rail service is the worst ever. Yes, I know that many delays are due to Network Rail but the utter contempt with which Southern treats is customers is surely an indication of the way it treats its staff. This dispute is the 'thin end of the wedge'. By removing the safety element of the conductors duties, Southern will be a step closer to running driver only trains. Have Southern asked their Customers what they would like? Have Southern given consideration to mobility impaired passengers? (Apparently yes to the last question - and if a mobility impaired passenger wants to get off at an unmanned station, Southern advise them to remain on the train until the first manned station - think about it!). I recently wrote to David Brown CEO of GTR and got a reply from one of his team that simply blamed the current troubles on 'The London Bridge affect'. Out of touch or what?
The only thing that surprises me, is the petition to remove the franchise has only 10, 000 signatures, that equates to 10 fully laden trains. Surely there are more people than that, dissatisfied with the service?
On 26 May 2016 at 3:28pm Clarified Butler wrote:
38 years a commuter: You're forgetting that most people are egotistical and apathetic, who like to moan but have very little sensibility for getting involved to actual change a bad situation.
On 26 May 2016 at 4:06pm Case Jones wrote:
It uses to be the case that the rail companies relied on train staff doing a bit of overtime to man all scheduled trains. Maybe the conductors have decided to just work their contracted hours to be awkward.
On 26 May 2016 at 4:32pm Blakey wrote:
I hate you Butler - and Case, it's Casey. Use the buses.! Does anyone commute for fun - no it's to earn London wages and live down here.
On 26 May 2016 at 8:28pm Tda wrote:
I commuted on Thameslink for 4 years. No guards, only ticket inspectors who fine you on the spot - no selling tickets on the train. Now that was a bad company.
On 26 May 2016 at 8:53pm 38 years a commuter wrote:
@Tda - exactly! Southern's new franchise incorporates the Thameslink Route. Southern inherited the staff, the policies and the processes and decided to expand them across the rest of their network.
On 27 May 2016 at 12:07am Sussex Dim wrote:
You're all focussing on the negatives. These companies are extraordinarily profitable, their shareholders and board are raking in lottery wins every year. Surely, you could put up with a little bit of discomfort for that?
I expect it's just your selfishness shining through.
On 27 May 2016 at 1:50pm ClarifiedButler wrote:
@Blakey - Well it's true isn't it? You may not like to hear it, but it doesn't make it any less accurate...
On 27 May 2016 at 5:29pm Blakey wrote:
Just having a joke - "on the buses"

On 27 May 2016 at 9:51pm Patriotic citizen wrote:
Sussex Dim is completely right. I am always amazed at the selfishness of posters here who expect Southern's shareholders to be responsible for a service that satisfies the whims of 'customers'. The purpose of a business is to make a profit and anyone who complaints about how this is done is obviously part of the politics of envy. Some people are better than others and the rich are obviously the best or they would not be rich in the first place.

On 29 May 2016 at 6:36pm Viva Hate wrote:
No doubt the conductors are sick of Southern. I know I am. I heard they are not doing overtime hours - which it seems are necessary to the running of the service. So Southern haven't staffed the system correctly. Employ more staff to run the trains at same rates of pay (not overtime rates) and they might even find they save some money....

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Skate Park 104:132
Skate Park

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington