Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

rusty house wins architectural award

On 29 May 2017 at 10:37am taste slayer wrote:
I saw that the infamous Rusty House has won one of the UK's most prestigious architectural awards, RIBA South East Awards, and will be put forward for RIBA's House of the Year Award later in the year.
Is the Royal Institute of British Architects out of sync with the naysayers in Lewes that bitterly disapproved of the design or do the Lewes curmudgeons know more about what is appropriate architecture for our historic market town than the architectural elite?
Would love to know what the voices of reason on Lewes Forum think.
On 29 May 2017 at 11:01am Jeff wrote:
Incredible that it has even been entered.
It really isn't all that.
Car showroom of the year maybe
On 29 May 2017 at 11:33am Horseman7 wrote:
I was originally anti because it obscured the previous view of the lovely pink house when entering Lewes from Southerham. But now it's bedded in, I have to admit I like it more and more. What does still grate is the lack of window bluffing to the river aspect.
On 29 May 2017 at 11:53am No grate wrote:
in there M8, it's all eco heated.
On 29 May 2017 at 11:56am Clifford wrote:
I can't understand why people would want to live in the reception hall of a multi-national company, but it's up to them really.
On 29 May 2017 at 12:53pm xplorer2 wrote:
OP, I think the concerns were mostly not about the building itself, but its suitability at a prominent location at a gateway point into an historic town in the National Park..
On 29 May 2017 at 3:13pm Sussex Born and Bred wrote:
Maybe it should get an award from Specavers for generating custom i.e. "I can't believe I'm seeing this"
Others may like it but I think its an eyesore and totally out of character - seems some Lewes residents are determined to make their houses look like an advert for Habitat or Lego.
On 29 May 2017 at 3:48pm mrs P wrote:
I rather like it and the fact that it challenges those who like the quaint and the twee.
On 29 May 2017 at 4:30pm Billy wrote:
....and have you seen the size of the television? You can watch it from across the river!
On 29 May 2017 at 6:43pm Old Malling wrote:
I like it, but I wouldn't want to live in it. Main road one side and overlooked by walkers on the other. Must be nice to sit there and look out over the fields though.
On 30 May 2017 at 7:06am stig of the dump wrote:
I love it, it's different, it's quirky and anything that p1$$es off the local "it should be in keeping....." brigade is fine by me!!!!
On 30 May 2017 at 7:39am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't dislike the design, but think it's very out of context in that location.
On 30 May 2017 at 3:36pm bobobob wrote:
Live and let live
Who gaf
On 30 May 2017 at 4:18pm Taste Slayer wrote:
Dear Bobobob
I must take exception to your comment "live and let live". The sole purpose of Lewes Forum is to empower people to vent their prejudices, jealousies and bitterness on subjects as insignificant as the design of someone's house anonymously. Please stick with the programme and use this platform to make ill informed comments about issues that you should not concern yourself with. You are singlehandedly making a mockery of Lewes Forum. You've been warned.
On 30 May 2017 at 5:15pm Clifford wrote:
I think you missed the point Taste Slayer. This thread began because the house was nominated for the RIBA House of the Year Award so it's a bit more significant than 'the design of someone's house'. If we can't express an opinion about our surroundings, what can we? You'll notice, of course, that my comment was 'it's up to them really'.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

As expected the chartist only turns up to put down. Just like the ferret. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell