Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

religious homophobia

On 14 Oct 2015 at 5:19pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
Homophobes who use their religion to justify their opposition to equal rights for the LGBT community indulge in a fundamental contradiction.
Their basic premise for denying such rights is that they CHOOSE to be gay, as opposed to being born that way. Therefore denying equal rights is some kind of disincentive
Yet......when such people are accused of hating those who are LGBT they deny this by saying they just condemn the behaviour not the person. Which means they are making a distinction between being gay and acting on it. This is an admission that their sexuality is a matter of their nature, not their behaviour. Which contradicts position one above.
The relevance of this to the Lewes Forum? There are marriage venues in Lewes that would refuse to marry a same sex couple.
On 14 Oct 2015 at 5:55pm Celine wrote:
Surely they're not allowed to refuse are they?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 7:00pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
They are if they are religious. The churches of our official state religion for example.
Why should a venue that does not offer equal marriage be able to provide the legal element of marriage at all?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 7:14pm Celine wrote:
I agree, but then I'm an athiest.
On 14 Oct 2015 at 7:18pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
I note a person has voted down the OP. Got the guts to argue your case?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 7:43pm Englishman wrote:
Why cannot those who indulge in buggery and other practices that most people find abhorrent simply keep themselves to themselves?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 7:53pm Rik wrote:
Do you sincerely follow the teachings of Jesus? If not why do you want to be married in an Anglican church?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 8:10pm Ronald wrote:
I'm a giver....not a receiver......I am not a faggott!
On 14 Oct 2015 at 8:24pm grinch wrote:
I tell you what,
As the "LBGT" community are forever moaning about equality with "pride marches" etc its about time we had a hetrosexual pride march, hetrosexual flag et al cos i for one am hacked off with the equality argument. i have a good friend who is homosexual (not "gay" because that word in its orginal form has a different meaning before it got hijacked) and he has a same sex partnership and has done for many years. He respects the majority view that marriage is an act of union between a man and a woman and is more than happy with the benefits of the rights in a civil partnership. I suspect a lot of people who are homosexual, lesbian and transgender thnik that way as well instead of trying to agitate the staus quo which if you think about it respects their identity unlike other countries.
Homophobia it aint, so stop bleating and get on with your life.
On 14 Oct 2015 at 9:25pm Celine wrote:
Hilarious really considering the revelations regarding the Christian churches penchant for boys. Chichester diocese seems to have been particularly prone to this in practice. But then I take the view that religious belief is often a 'screen' against what is really going on with the individual.
On 14 Oct 2015 at 10:03pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
@Rik biblical citation please.
@Ronald Try replying to what I said rather than demonstrating your single-minded bigotry
@grinch Try setting your Faux hetero-victimhood to one side. When you say "get on with your life" does that include having full marital equality if you are gay? Or would you prefer for LGBT folk to behave and accept their status like your supposed gay friend?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 10:26pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
@Englishman What is your actual objection to buggery within marriage?

On 14 Oct 2015 at 11:30pm rik wrote:
Why don't you just get married somewhere that caters to same sex weddings? Churches are not primarily " wedding venues".Why must they serve your whims?
On 14 Oct 2015 at 11:54pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
@rik
Fair enough. So why don't churches give up their status as legal registrars and only provided the religious element of marriage? After all this is now a nation that accepts marriage equality. Therefore why should venues that refuse to go along with this continue to have the privilege of also providing the legal element of marriage?
All a religious couple of a homophobic church would have to do is attend their local registry office after their religious wedding in order to make it legal.
On 15 Oct 2015 at 12:10am Woody wrote:
What a load of old horse*hit.
Why people can't be allowed to do what they want to do, without harming others, is a mystery to me.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:15am Rik wrote:
I suspect you are more interested in your own agenda than making promises before God and congregation.
You will get your way I expect.
Good luck
On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:28am Ronald wrote:
@ Only gay in the pillage. You not seen the film then? Which way round are you?
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:10am Occams' blunderbuss wrote:
Most married people will tell you that it is more about responsibilities than rights. There is something fishy about your obsession with the church element of the wedding. I suspect you might be more interested in stirring up some "homophobic" comments than securing a specific venue. You have succeeded.
The Anglican Church will probably disestablish soon so then they will be able marry who they like. I am surprised the Tories haven't sold it off yet!
Disestablishment would solve a lot of problems and bring to light the really counter cultural nature of christianity.
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:58am ditty wrote:
The vicar of Chorlton cum Havery had habits extremely unsavoury. Amidst animal howls he'd bugger young owls, In a crypt fitted out as an aviary. Another young curate called Binns talked of women and things. But his secret desire was a boy in the choir with a bottom like jelly on springs.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:07am rik wrote:
Sounds like one of hitch's limericks.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:57am Mayall wrote:
It's from the bog in Mountfield Road LCGSFB c. 1968. One of the few things I remember from that erstwhile institution.
On 15 Oct 2015 at 12:02pm Occams' Razor wrote:
This thread like so many others is populated by stroppy people with an axe to grind.
On 15 Oct 2015 at 1:24pm Only gay in the pillage wrote:
So then, in response, apart from the expected foaming at the mouth, there were a couple of ad hominems, one implying my sexuality might have any bearing on the issue and the other that I am obsessed by it.
What there was not was any attempt to address the contradiction pointed our in the OP. Which is very telling.
Incidentally, the reasons a gay couple might want to get married in a church are the same as those for a straight couple.
On 15 Oct 2015 at 2:23pm Grass verger wrote:
I think you will have to make some new friends. Here is a little tip. If you want something from someone it's usually not a good opening to insult them and call them phobes.
If I was a local vicar I can't say I would be overjoyed to be contacted by you. Your opening post was itself an ad hominem directed against a religious minority. I think this is known as hate speech in some circles.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 3:12pm Only village in the gay wrote:
So then, in response, apart from the expected foaming at the mouth, there were a couple of ad hominems, one implying my sexuality might have any bearing on the issue and the other that I am obsessed by it.
What there was not was any attempt to address the contradiction pointed our in the OP. Which is very telling.
Incidentally, the reasons a gay couple might want to get married in a church are the same as those for a straight couple.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 5:12pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
What an impressive straw man Grass verger has built
Here is short research list for him:
Ad hominem
Minority
Hate speech
And I note you also sidestepped addressing the contradiction in the OP.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:46pm Ad Hominis Vis wrote:
Ad nauseam more like. Grass Verger, amusing moniker. Occam's Razor, nice wordplay there. Bi for now, all you Lewesians.

On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:50pm Popery wrote:
Remember remember to hang the banner out

On 15 Oct 2015 at 8:21pm Only Gay in the pillage wrote:
Oh....did I mention, in the words of Frank Spencer, I'm a married man?
To a real lady too!
Sorry to all of you who assumed, in your narrow mindedness, that I was seeking a church.
On 15 Oct 2015 at 8:51pm Blown away wrote:
Blimey, only an atheist can be that clever surely? That's an amazing achievement. Some one will be saying something interesting soon I expect but unfortunately it isnt me.

On 16 Oct 2015 at 6:38am Popery wrote:
I thought you were seeking a cottage.

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pells Pond 104:143
Pells Pond

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina