Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

pub recommendation please

On 19 May 2015 at 2:53pm Sue Yates wrote:
For my mother's 80th birthday we plan on taking her to Lewes, where she was evacuated during the war. We would like to have a bit of a WW2 themed "do" in a pub in the town, and wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere where we could hold this, and also one with a garden with a good clear view of the sky as we are planning something else very special for her! Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
On 19 May 2015 at 3:13pm 8 miles from home wrote:
The Dorset.
On 19 May 2015 at 3:20pm Local wrote:
Swan has outside space and great food , shells hotel bit upmarket, white hart and Pelham house hotel both have really good outside space ,
On 19 May 2015 at 3:39pm Paul wrote:
Pelham Arms would do this well but not any outside space - for that the Pelham House Hotel is very good.
On 19 May 2015 at 3:44pm Jacko Valltrades wrote:
Take her to the Crown, the interior has a real 'blitzed' out theme, the customers look as if they have spent many a day in the trenches, and I'm sure there are many impromptu holes in the ceiling for her to view your special surprise.
On 19 May 2015 at 4:58pm Sky Clad wrote:
I trust you're not flying a replica doodlebug
On 20 May 2015 at 12:02pm Sue Yates wrote:
Thank you everyone for your comments
On 20 May 2015 at 3:00pm Sue Yates wrote:
Why have people given me thumbs down for my original post.
On 20 May 2015 at 3:03pm Southover Queen wrote:
Because this forum is full of sour malcontents who want the world to feel as miserable as they are, Sue. Have a wonderful time with your Mum, wherever you decide!
On 20 May 2015 at 3:09pm Enry wrote:
The Kings Head in southover has a large garden at the back with a good sky view and the castle as well.
Also its a gastropub so you might find the food more suitable for a birthday lunch.
On 20 May 2015 at 3:22pm Southover Queen wrote:
I love the Kings Head and the Swan, but neither has the sort of panoramic sky view that might be needed should a light plane with birthday banner fly past! The rooms at the Pelham with outside terraces would give a guaranteed view; I think otherwise it might all be over before anyone spots it!
On 20 May 2015 at 5:46pm Bevi wrote:
The Dorset as all flat and will be easy for older people with mobility problems to access ! Got garden and a function room - good food and service.
On 20 May 2015 at 10:04pm belladonna wrote:
We took my mum to the Pelham for her 80th. We all had the set lunch (2 or 3 courses) and as there were 30 of us they gave us a seperate room opening onto the garden (free of charge), You could just book out the restaurant area, also, depending on numbers.
Im sure the Pelham would help youarrange yout surprise.
The other option I can think of is not in Lewes but the Laughing Fish in Isfield has a field out the back that would be great for an outdoor event. I think it run through some community venture, the landlord at the Fish will know who to contact.
Good Luck and ignore the thumbs downs!!
On 20 May 2015 at 11:14pm Vera Lynn wrote:
I'd be inclined to go for Pelham House too. They have a lovely terrace from which you could watch a fly past from the gentlemen in red and once you're in it's all on the flat.The loos are accessible to those with mobility problems and the staff are very helpful and obliging. The same could also be said for the never less than excellent Snowdrop but their garden is a bit small if you were thinking of a cast of thousands attending.
On 21 May 2015 at 4:04pm SUE Yates wrote:
Thank you very much everyone for your recommendations (and your kind words Southover Queen). It sounds like the Pelham House is exactly what we're looking for, particularly the room leading out into the garden. I shall give them a ring.

On 21 May 2015 at 4:22pm SUE Yates wrote:
lt seems like our aerial surprise may not be possible due to Lewes being classed as a built up area. Could anyone please advise if the view of the South Downs from the Pelham would be decent enough or too far away to make it worth it? Thank you.

On 21 May 2015 at 5:02pm Vera Lynn wrote:
That's odd, Sue. The team that provide your aerial surprise have visited Lewes on several occasions over the years. Perhaps they've just had to tighten up their insurance/Health and Safety cover and found it's not a viable option. Such a shame for you all. The view from the terrace at Pelham House encompasses a panorama from Kingston Ridge to your right, straight down the Ouse Valley and then on to Mt. Caburn and Firle Beacon to the left. It's definitily worth a recce down to check it out. Just wondering that if a view of the Downs was important, have you looked into the possibility of a "charabanc outing" round the area in an old bus? I saw an old coach being used for a wedding party come through the town the other day and the whole effect was magical... Just a thought, best wishes to you all and I wish you every success, wherever you choose.

On 22 May 2015 at 8:46am Belladonna wrote:
You might want to try the Trevor Arms in Glynde then ?
The other option with clear views I can think of is the sailing club down at Seaford - they used to do hire for parties etc and are right on the beach so your aerial surprise could be over the sea!

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Willeys Bridge 131:132
Willeys Bridge

@Dreamer Perhaps the answer to your question why does TP trot out the same old rubbish, repeatedly, without the slightest... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina