Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

private landlords

On 25 Jan 2012 at 3:37pm bastian wrote:
have any of you thought about the vast amount of public money that is given out in housing benefit for people who cannot manage all of or part of their rent, that goes straight into paying the mortgage off for private landlords. If this government wants to provide fewer council houses and build no more (remembering that rent from council homes, once the outlay has been paid off, goes back into maintanance of the stock), then your taxes are going towards paying someone elses mortgage off....lucky them. It is not a case of "Oh those selfish tennants who don't work or can't earn enough to pay for themselves" as, why should we be paying a mortgage of a selfish landlord, because the government is renading on its duty to the poor. High private rents are what prevent people moving up to buy if they want to.
On 25 Jan 2012 at 3:47pm Clifford wrote:
Private landlords are the actual housing benefit scroungers. And cheapskate employers who pay their workers so little they need to claim tax credits to live, another subsidy from the tax payer.
On 25 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm bastian wrote:
right-on brother

On 25 Jan 2012 at 4:27pm Selfish landlord wrote:
I charge a reasonable rent for very safe clean and attractive accommodation. Before you judge me, please tell me who is going to pay for me in my old age? Are you? I don't rely on the state to look after me because I'm not sure that they will, despite the fact that I paid tax for many years.
My faith in pensions or any other kind of financial product is zero. Nothing that I've bought of this kind has been worth diddly.
Becoming a landlord was a result of wanting look after myself. Call me selfish if you like, but also tell me what you are going to rely on in your old age. Got a few gold bars stashed away?

On 25 Jan 2012 at 4:35pm bastian wrote:
I'm banking on nuclear war...
We do support you finacncially in old age through our taxes, unless you have decided not to claim your state pension.What is a reasonable rent?
I know for a fact that a flat in Lewes, two bedrooms, no greenspace costa around £850 a month, and a house of the same size is around a £1000 or more. Is that a fair rent compared to the local wages? what is left out of a months wage of £1250 if there is only one person earning in the house...and before you jump in with" both people should work"...what if there are two children and their bereaved father in that flat.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 4:36pm Another selfish landlord wrote:
I also opted out of the state pension when I was 24 and through hard work and some luck, have been able to purchase a property to rent out. There is a vast mortgage on it and I hope in 15 years time, it will be my pension. I look after my tenants and my property and I certainly haven't taken this opportunity for granted. In actual fact, I think I am being extremely responsible in ensuring I will not be reliant on the state when I am old. You may also like to know before the barrage of insults start, that I pay tax on my income.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 4:50pm One very unselfish landl wrote:
Only private renters, not by design, just happens that way. £850 for 3 bed house with big garden.
On 25 Jan 2012 at 5:06pm Selfish landlord wrote:
Bastian - those rents reflect the cost of mortgages, insurance, tax, repairs, gas and electric safety checks, repairs, redecorating, empty periods, advertising and so on.
I think that rather than you supporting me in my old age, I and people like me, will be supporting you.
I fully expect state pensions to be reduced to zero for those who have saved or have assets.
On 25 Jan 2012 at 5:22pm bastian wrote:
selfish landlord, there will be alot of people out there washed up on the street in a few years time not able to pay your rent if the future is as you predict.
Also, to you all, I am generally a polite poster unless provoked, even then I keep my sense of humour.
in order for you to keep your pension of a property now, others are kept in the state pension scheme ( thus poverty). If you bought your house twenty years ago I bet you haven't kept the rent at the mortgage price, which means the tax payer who pays the housing benefit on a flat you may own is paying more than the mortgage, up to three or four times that price and may I add, I know young people who both earn supposedly good money but are trapped in the renting trap by high rents and ridiculous house prices.
On 25 Jan 2012 at 5:28pm bastian wrote:
by the way...how is it saving the government money if you are using the rent as a pension if all the years leading up to your retirement the rent has been paid by us and our taxes through housing benefit? you would in actual fact have used up more money from the public purse than if you were to draw your state pension until you are 100.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 6:05pm Selfish landlord wrote:
I don't get your reasoning Bastian. I don't keep people in the state pension scheme and I didn't buy my rental property anything like 20 yrs ago.
I did buy the house that I live in. I got up off my backside and went to london and did work I didn't really want to do for many years rather than staying in sussex and moaning. If I hadn't done that I wouldn't have been able to afford to get a house at all. I do agree that house prices are way too high and wages too low in sussex though.
I also agree that rents will probably go down in the future. Good thing that I have other irons in the fire, isn't it? But in your book there are no brownie points for being resourceful, are there?
To put your mind at rest - though I'm not sure it will - I don't accept tenants on housing benefit. You will not be paying my rent.
My plan Z, btw, is a large pack of paracetamol. I don't want to be left at the mercy of what's left of the welfare state. If the nuclear war doesn't get us first...
You may have a sense of humour bastian but it's not apparent when you are making judgements about human beings who are just trying to look after themselves and their families in the best way they can. Being a landlord is not an easy ride, I can assure you.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 6:23pm bastian wrote:
this is interesting.
I have meerly made an observation. Do check how carefully I have worded my point of view. It is interesting that the two young people I know are also "off their backsides working in London" but still are trapped by the system.
I think if you are not taking in HB rentals then you are answering a question that was not posed to you, but to the thousands of private landlords who do.
There are some people who cannot work in London, who are not super human through circumstance, or who are left in a tragic situation...they need help and when they get it they are called scoungers, while their landlords are having their mortgages paid off. If this is not you, fine. Why should people have to pay a train fare to travel to pay you rent...which prevents them from having enough to put down a payment on their own mortgage?
please remember this is not a personal attack, it is an observation, a discussion that should be had in these times of hardship.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 6:39pm Selfish landlord wrote:
I don't think you can blame me for the situation that people find themselves in. I'm not asking any tenant of mine to do anything that I haven't done myself. I'm not super human by any means, I just don't expect anyone else to hand me anything on a plate.
I'm just saying that I took my own life in my hands and made the best of things. People who actually can't do that need support, I agree. And I agree that it is more difficult than ever now.
BTW - I was totally opposed to the sale of council houses.
If you don't think I should be a landlord, bastian, what should I do to prepare for my old age? I would really really like to know. Can you support me please? Then I can give up the stress and risk of being a landlord.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 7:17pm Doom sayer wrote:
Property is not a guilt-edged pension as uk propertsayer utterly reckoned to be 30% overvalued. Did you buy it in the last 7 years? If so, for your sake, I hope there's no property crash when Europe's sh1t finally hits the fan.
On 25 Jan 2012 at 7:27pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
A really unselfish landlord would lease their property to the council so it went to someone on the housing waiting list. Of course, few do this because they get the housing benefit rate less 15%, and that probably wouldn't pay off the mortgage before they retire.
I haved come across many very selfish landlords: the one who hiked the rent up massively to the max HB level as soon as he found out his tenants were on benefits (this backfired badly, as the council wouldn't put up the benefits as it wasn't done at the annual rent review date, but he still expects them to somehow find the extra for arrears that grew because of his illegal increase); the ones who won't carry out repairs, the ones who rip people off with excessive gas and electricity charges; who won't let people change their energy supplier or the colour of the walls. I know people who are in properties impossible to heat because they are so draughty and poorly insulated and where basic gas and fire safety regs aren't adhered to.
Of course not all landlords are this bad, but a surprising number are, and it sickens me that tenants can't take steps to get unsatisfactory homes sorted for fear of being chucked out. When they're being paid hundreds in rent by the taxpayer every month, it really riles me, frankly.
Rant over. Feel better now.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 7:43pm selfish landlord wrote:
So we all sit around wearing lord snooty hats while wiping our feet on our tenants...
I,ve actually spent a fortune trying to make a really nice place for people to live in, but it's easier to paint us all as some kind of rackman figure, isn,t it?
Still waiting for ideas on paying for my old age.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 7:51pm selfish landlord wrote:
RE prices crashing - yes - I fully expect them to, but when they do I will still have a house, whereas if I'd put the money in a pension I would probably have f all.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 8:11pm bastian wrote:
did the rent go up after the new bathroom was put in?

On 25 Jan 2012 at 8:21pm bastian wrote:
the euro will crash and house prices will fall, but in all my lifetime I have never known private rents to go down, not even in the negative equity days of the early 90s...besides when all those people who have been reposessed need a home they will be desperate for a tenancy.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 8:38pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Too true, Bastian. A buy to let property is a wise investment, for sure, but is it really ethical?
The more people there are buying second homes, for whatever reason, the more people will be priced out of buying their first. And the more people renting because they can't buy, the more rents will rise. Buy-to-let will become even more attractive, and the spiral continues.

On 25 Jan 2012 at 9:35pm selfish landlord wrote:
Still no one is volunteering to pay for my old age or telling me how to afford it.
Why? Can't. You guys tell me of your 'ethical' way of doing things.does it involveme paying at all?
Bastian re the bathroom question, not really relevant as I had work done to bring the house up to standard before letting it.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 7:57am Hoogster wrote:
Stop yer grizzlin, or I'll send the boys round.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 8:33am Selfish landlord wrote:
Also, where do you propose that people live if they don't want to buy a house. For all sorts of reasons.
I didn't buy until I was 30. Should I have stayed at home with mum?

On 26 Jan 2012 at 10:16am Me-mo wrote:
Some people may think that tax payers paying off someone else's mortgage is unfair but what is also unfair is this. I bought a house in Lewes last year at the age of 22 after saving and working my butt off to do so. If myself or my partner were to loose our job my home can be repossessed. Others who go down the route of having a baby and getting a house through the council will not have their homes taken away. I have to work a 40 hour week at a job which is only ok after having to quit the job i really liked to be able to afford it. I do not claim any benefits for having my own house and yet those who fall pregnant and get given a house can stay at home and have their house paid for and have money to spare. I wont see the council rushing to my side and giving me money if i can not afford to pay my bills. I can not afford to have children or get married as all my money is going into making sure i can afford a roof over my head and have food on my table. How is this more fair than someone wanting to have financial security in their older years. If i could afford to buy a second home and rent it out i would. But being a landlord can bring in just as many problems as it can benefits.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 10:30am Mo-me wrote:
Me-mo, if you lose your job you'll be able to claim for help with your mortgage. And at the end of it all you'll have a house. Not something people who have to claim housing benefit have. What a pity you can't afford to get married and have children - fortunately other people are, otherwise there'd be no-one around to do the work you'll need doing when you're old. What a nerve you've got coming on here complaining.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 10:44am DHS wrote:
Mo-me, you are wrong. Very few people will get help with mortgage payments.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 11:06am Another selfish landlord wrote:
I totally agree with selfish landlord. And as for the comments about giving the property to the council for council tenants, I presume you are not aware then that the housing benefit goes to the tenant and not the landlord so when the tenant stops paying you rent and you are forced to sell the property because you can't pay the mortgage, the tenant in the meantime has been pocketing the housing benefit all along.
That sounds really fair and yes, I am speaking from experience. So sorry to tar all council tenants with the same brush, but I can't afford to do that again.
Why should people who have made a success of their lives and prospered be made to feel guilty? I am proud of what I have achieved and why shouldn't I? No-one has given me hand-outs and I haven't cost the Government a penny.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 11:23am Me-mo wrote:
Mo-me - im afraid you are wrong. If i loose my job no one will help me pay my bills unless i personally pay for an insurance against it. If people who own a house could claim money then why are there so many repossessions. And to your point about other people having children so they will work when i am older i think you will find that laziness breeds laziness. A child bought up in a council house with there parents not working and not trying to work can put that same mind set into the child. - i would like to point out that this is not always the case. Some people can do very well for themselves despite their parents, and also some people in council flats have no other choice through a disability or illness. You say what a i have coming here and complaining - which i am not i was pointing out that others get something for nothing - i will not complain that i have managed to buy my own place. I am very proud of the fact that i have bough a house in Lewes at a young age and i have not turned into a scrounger. I was pointing out that it may not be fair to some that a mortgage is being paid with the councils money, nor is it fair that those who try should suffer if something were to go wrong.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 11:43am Mo-me wrote:
Not only are you a pretentious little snob Me-mo, you are also an ignorant one. Though the two may not be unconnected.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 11:46am Mo-me wrote:
DHS - read the attached.

Check it out here »

On 26 Jan 2012 at 11:47am selfish landlord wrote:
Oh dear - it's descended into name calling - always the last resort of people who can't put an argument together.
I'm away to twiddle with my comedy moustashe.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 12:12pm Me-mo wrote:
Mo-me - it appears i have hit a nerve. Maybe what i am saying about people getting a house for free applies to you.
That link says it will only help towards my mortgage not pay for it for me

On 26 Jan 2012 at 1:53pm jrsussex wrote:
I've tried not to get involved in this one, but cannot resist any longer. The benefit system, both currently and for many years, has played a large part in setting rents in the private sector. Private landlords are aware of the levels of benefit that their tenants can access in differnet areas and very often set their rents accordingly. Government and local authorities rental assistance needs to be overhauled and set at sensible levels so that in turn rental levels are contained.
I fully agree with those of you who are landlords, it is not easy when you have bad tenants, all types of housing benefit linked to rent should go direct to the landlord. I have a friend in Fairlight who has recently lost £1,600 in rent, the tenant had received it all but kept it and then trashed the house the morning they left. The police refused to bring criminal charges, hiding behind the old reason that it is a civil matter., if true then the law requires changing.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 2:11pm bastian wrote:
This rather suggests that all private tennants are evil and do not pay their rent..the stuff of tabloid headlines. Be honest, most tennants are not like that, they pay, whether through housing benefit or their earnings, the few who don't are the exception otherwise most landlords would have given up the job as a bad investment.
It does not detract from the position that many unscruplous land lords all over this country are on a benefits gravey train having their mortgage paid by the state via honest tennants on housing benefit.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 2:17pm bastian wrote:
everyone deserves to work, everyone deserves to be paid enough that they do not have to claim benefits to make up their wages...that really is insane.
Many people on housing benefit are in employment but between them cannot earn enough to pay their way...I suppose your answer will be "get off your *rse,get on a train to London and earn it in a high power job".
How many jobs like that are there in London..and if there are enough why are people in london not doing them.
Social education and confidence building are the secret to sucess..if you had it at birth, you are lucky...that has nothing to do with being born into money.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 2:23pm landlord 3 wrote:
Have I done something wrong? I left school, got a job, worked hard, saved, got a mortgage, got married, had two children, lived in the same property for 25 years, paid off my mortgage, then, instead of moving into a bigger more modern property, took out a new mortgage on a small property, refurbished it and rented it out. The rent doesn't cover the mortgage. I don't smoke, don't drink and generally just lead a quiet life. Do I deserve to be pilloried by the faceless few on this forum?

On 26 Jan 2012 at 3:19pm Landlord 4 (NFAH) wrote:
I am landlord number 4 aka 'Not From Around Here'.
I own 3 houses - well when I say 'own' I mean I have mortages on 3 properties.
One of them is my family home and the other two are flats which are rented-out.
I am not grabbing anything from the government as I don't accept people on housing benefits due to previous bad experience.
I also don't accept students for the same reason.
I do look after the properties and want my tenants to feel safe, secure and comfortable. I am also in the position of hoping to use my properties as my pension in about 15-20 years.
I have not had time to read all of the above unfortunately but I certainly would not want to criticize people who have done well and provided for themselves.
How can that be wrong Bastian?
As for those who have travelled to London to work everyday - I salute you as that is a hard choice and one that I have never taken, but as you say, you have got off your backside and done the best you can at providing for yourself.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 3:46pm bastian wrote:
NFAH, if you are not excepting people on housing benefit then this thread is not about you.
No one is critising anyone for doing well.All that is being said, and I advise you do read the threads if you are going to reply, is that it is not possible for everyone to earn enough to live on in this system and that will always leave some people working just as hard as those who love to think that they alone work hard for their living, often in nasty jobs that no one else wants to do, but they can never earn what you earn and there for may need help from the government to pay their rent. is it that the rent is to high? or are they not paid enough?

On 26 Jan 2012 at 3:50pm bastian wrote:
If this is about asperation...are that great tory drive, if you are poor we'll starve you into action,then see the post mentioning "confidence". This is a state worth more than money, it is classless,but lacking in many people. Also, not everyone can just drop lives and work..you all speak from the experience of someone who is not caring for the sick or elderly,or children..or disability.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 4:19pm Selfish landlord wrote:
I've never voted Tory in my life.
I wish the world was different in a lot of ways, but while I'm trying to change it I have to work with it as it is.
I have no regrets that I provide a good service that people want.
On 26 Jan 2012 at 4:24pm bastian wrote:
we need more council housing of good quality, with gardens for children and a school in walking distance. Young people are living at home at 30,if in your time it was possible to thrive then you were lucky...things have changed, and there are not enough council houses for people with young famillies.

On 26 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm bastian wrote:
is it that rents are to high?
or are wages to low?

On 26 Jan 2012 at 7:56pm bastian wrote:
Or is it because knobs like me have nothing better to do?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Station Sunset 86:143
Lewes Station Sunset

I doubt that more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa