Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

primary schools

 
1
On 30 Apr 2008 at 1:38pm smith e wrote:
Which primary school in Lewes is the worst? And the best?
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 2:01pm FA wrote:
Very very happy with St Pancras....lots of bad reports about Wallands.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 3:08pm summer1 wrote:
what does anybody think about southover school?
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 3:19pm madge wrote:
There was recent thread on here about Wallands but I have heard nothing bad from anyone I know that uses this school. I am interested as grandchildren will be going to this school. Surely one incident & one bully does not make a whole school bad. From what I can glean it seems the mother of the victim of one incident was totally irresponsible to leave her very young vunerable child unsupervised on school grounds before school started, who in their right mind would do that in this day & age? There is no excuse for what happened to little girl bless her but she could so easily have been abducted by a strange adult! The fact that the mother then went to the police meant the school could take no action regarding this incident, because it became a legal matter seperate from the school, the school & school authorities hands are probably frustratingly tied. Bullying of any kind is not acceptable but parents need to be rational its no good attacking in a blind rage, like it or not these things have to be handled delicately to get any sort of satifactory result.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 4:03pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
SOUTHOVER: best results in Lewes, comparable to private education; popular with 4x4-driving 'yummy mummies'; run by the Church of England; very small playground and slightly dark and dingy location; shares grounds with Western Road


WESTERN ROAD: non-religious; very small, so children feel less overwhelmed; popular with artistic and alternative types; good results in the past; headteacher seems a little ineffectual; shares grounds with Southover


ST PANCRAS: Good reputation and results; children seem happy there; Catholic school so the religious element is quite strong; very small playground; difficult parking


WALLANDS: Improving results, good OFSTED report but not excellent; some very good teachers; poor SENCO co-ordinator (special needs); headteacher popular with some parents but not others; large school with good facilities; extensive playing fields with beautiful views of the Downs.


That's a combination of personal experience and anecdotal evidence. I wouldn't like to say which one was best. It depends on where you live, your views on religion and whether your child would be better in a large or small school.

I don't know anything about the Pells or Malling.

 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 4:32pm lauren wrote:
Madge, get your facts right before you start judging someone, my daughter was not left on her own and if you think you know so much about the incident and many more in my daughters class then you will know the true facts. Just speak to anyone that is or was in her class, [Teachers name] was her teacher and also ask how many other kids have left the class and moved to other schools because of the bullying. I know of 5 children in the last 6 months. People like you really pee me of because you know nothing about the case. And i would also like to add that the police were informed because lazy, [derogatory adjective] wimpy davis [derogatory statement] thinks that 2 minutes of golden time taken away from a child is reasonable punishment. I just hope your kids are not put in the [Clas identifier] class that my daughter was in and all the other victims of the demented kids, it would be interesting how you would react.........
Post edited at the request of ESCC to anonymise children involved and remove unacceptable deogatory remarks about staff
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 4:46pm FA wrote:
Pells is slowly improving under the recently new head teacher. The kids seem happy there but some of the parents are very clicky...although you get that in most schools
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 5:00pm anon wrote:
my child was bullied badly at wallands, it got to the stage where a new school was the only solution. my child has gone from being bottom of the class at wallands to being top in some subjects at the new school.Madge i think your talking total crap as regards nothing bad being said from current parents/children of wallands, i know plenty of wallands parents who's children have had difficulties with bulling. some over recent months have removed there children and some that are hoping the situation will improve. one other comment, if your Grandchildren are due to start at wallands, how does that make you an expert on whether a child (who had some appalling things happen to her)was left unsupervised at the school??? Were you there?? or is this just the good old wallands gossips at work?? one things for sure, you should fit in just fine!!
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 5:06pm lauren wrote:
Good one anon. You took the words out of my mouth. Also if Madge is so up on her facts why does'nt she approach me in town and tell me her views to my face, the problem with this forum is people are very brave and insulting on here but face to face it would be a different story. I know we have loads of fun winding each other up but being dam right ignorant, there is no excuse!!
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 5:07pm madge wrote:
I appologise if I got it wrong I only know what I read on here. When someone explained the incident before on here & said the little girl was left at the school in the morning without ADULT supervision nobody indicated the comment was untrue. It was quite a heavy discussion so it was reasonable to assume their was some truth in it when nobody jumped in to refute it. However if as you say she was being supervised by an appointed adult then they were responsible for her safety not the school. Believe me I can fully understand the anger felt regarding the incident & how frustrating it is trying to get your point across while you are clearly under duress. I certainly have no wish to pee u off & was merely trying to look at the whole senario objectively, it would not pay for those in authority to have a knee jerk reaction to every complaint put before them especially when the parent is angry.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 5:15pm madge wrote:
I appologise if I got it wrong I only know what I read on here. When someone explained the incident before on here & said the little girl was left at the school in the morning without ADULT supervision nobody indicated the comment was untrue. It was quite a heavy discussion so it was reasonable to assume their was some truth in it when nobody jumped in to refute it. However if as you say she was being supervised by an appointed adult then they were responsible for her safety not the school. Believe me I can fully understand the anger felt regarding the incident & how frustrating it is trying to get your point across while you are clearly under duress. I certainly have no wish to pee u off & was merely trying to look at the whole senario objectively, it would not pay for those in authority to have a knee jerk reaction to every complaint put before them especially when the parent is angry.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 5:16pm lauren wrote:
Madge i did reply and if you read the thread correctly you will see that. As anon said dont believe everthing you here or you will fit in perfectly up there. If nothing happened then why was CID involved, answer that question....... and keep your eyes on the news paper as the incident has'nt been brushed under the carpet, and watch Davis squirm. Pink slips are what reports are made on and he has a few in that school................................
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 5:56pm madge wrote:
I must reiterate my children are grown up & have long left school so I have very little knowledge with anything currently school related, my interest in the subject is purely in anticipation of my grandchildrens prospective schooling. As it happens one of my children was relentlessly bullied throughout his schooling so I have every sympathy with people trying to protect their children. From experience it does no good whatsoever getting angry with the system & those employed to operate it, the more angry you get the more they close ranks & you get nowhere. Stay calm, stick to the point & facts, put everything in writing to everyone, always write to the top person & use their name, keep a diary of relateed events/meetings/telephone conversations etc.. Most important of all do not get angry with the people you are dealing with, bite you tongue & stay pleasant, take names & be firm. Sadly if you lash out at everyone they will find it easy to fob you off. I sincerely wish all parents luck with their childrens education especially in these formative years.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 6:09pm FA wrote:
Unfortunately madge...it's impossible not to get angry when you've gone down all the official avenues and no one takes any notice and sweeps it under the carpet when you lodge a complaint.
Sometimes, naming and shaming or taking it to a different level is the only way to get some authorities to sit up and take notice.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 6:21pm madge wrote:
Thats FA I know because I have been there but experience has taught me these things never get resolved overnight it can be long winded & laborious. If you put things in writing, ask for a response & give them two weeks to respond. If no answer write again if still no satisfaction take it higher & higher keeping copies of everything. The outcome will be you can prove you were being reasonable, polite & clear & you will have names of all those who are not doing there job. All this gives a parent a strong case to take action against the system that has let your child down.
 
 
On 30 Apr 2008 at 6:57pm lauren wrote:
Magde, i did do everything by the book and all the incidences were logged, i even bit my tongue on several occasions thinking it might sort itself out but it did'nt. Every communication has been filed and i even informed the education board after Davis did not in my opinion do what neede to be done. When they did nothing thats when i went back to the school and told them i was bringing the police in, their response was a shrug. What would you have done if your grandchild had gone through what my little girl had experienced and might i add this was during class and lunch time play where the kids are supposed to be supervised. You have to remember as a mother or father most will protect their kids with their own life and im one of them.. If the boys had been in their late teens i know i would have done time for my daughter, after what she went through. That might be wrong in your books but everyone deals with things differently and no one has a right to interfere with my daughters body, or anyone elses in that matter.
I hope your grandchildren are happy in whatever primary school they go to.
Post edited at the request of ESCC to emove unacceptable deogatory remarks about staff
 
 
On 1 May 2008 at 1:28pm Amethyst wrote:
Western Road has a new Head Teacher, Mr Thompson, who has been there for a year. He is very enthusiastic and fun, much better than the previous one who was as interesting as a wet blanket. The PTA works hard coming up with interesting fund raisers.
I believe Malling also has a new Head Teacher who has gone through the school with a fine toothed comb and things are looking brighter - only what I have been told, not from personal experience.
 
 
On 2 May 2008 at 8:22am A mum wrote:
God, I have every sympathy with you Lauren...as a Mum of a 2 year old,I would do everything in my power to protect my child from bullying...it scars them for life..some teachers need to be re-trained and taught how to deal with it
 
 
On 2 May 2008 at 7:38pm The Voice of Reason wrote:
Wallands is a great school. Recent offsted says Good. 1st preferences are more than ever before. My kids love it and are getting on really well. No sign of bullying.
Take no notice of the wingers, there's always one or two and that's n ot bad for one of the largest schools in the county.
 
 
On 2 May 2008 at 8:16pm anon wrote:
Voice of reason . Your talking out your a**e.
 
 
On 2 May 2008 at 10:24pm kitty cat wrote:
What makes you say that anon ? I went to wallands many moons ago and I have survived. I got bullied when I went topriory. Put me off of school for a very long time. Still went everyday but it was not a happy time
 
 
On 4 May 2008 at 1:35pm year 6 pupil at wallands wrote:
My dad is a member of this forum and asked me about the little children being bullied at wallands as i go there. I know of the bullies and they are horrible boys one only goes to school part time because he's really bad. I've been picked on for about 18 months and my mum and dad are always up at the school complaining but nothing is ever done. I cant wait to go to my secondary school and be away from wallands.
 
 
On 4 May 2008 at 1:56pm FA wrote:
Blimey fella...that's not good...school should be a happy time for kids not miserable. Keep your chin up mate, i hope things are better for you next term at secondary school.
 
 
On 4 May 2008 at 2:34pm lauren wrote:
Hi year 6 pupil, im so sorry to hear your a victim also, im sad to say but it's only ever victims that know it's going on. Alot of people bury their head in the sand when their kids are not victims. Kitty cat and voice of reason being 2 of them. I hope when you go to your next school you will be so much happier and the rest of your education runs smoothly and with loads of fun to. Just keep telling mum and dad as they need to know and can help you. Head up and keep smiling, it will get better :-) x
 
 
On 4 May 2008 at 2:44pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi lauren. I,as I have said recently, went to wallands and I was NOT bullied there. In fact it was not a bad school and still is not that bad. There is always going to be, as voice of reason said, at least one bad apple. Am sorry to hear that one of their year six is unhappy. Mt son when he went toPriory was bullied by some of his mates! He dealt with it himself. He also had out of school activities with these boys. As my son rightly pointed out at the time, "they will soon get bored and move on" which is exactly what happened. They are still friends, but have all moved on.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 11:16am lauren wrote:
As you said kitty cat, WHEN YOU WENT TO WALLANDS. Things change and as you can see from the thread bullying IS going on at WALLANDS. Some people cant deal with it and let it take it's course, and why should they, kids should be able to go to school and learn and have loads of fun and not be affraid. Kids become withdrawn and it affects their learning also it can damage them for the rest of their lives.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 1:09pm aunt sally wrote:
if your child is being bullied why not move them to another school ? it is that simple
 
1
On 6 May 2008 at 1:10pm FA wrote:
Why should you Aunt Sally ?.....yet another example of the victim being punished
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 1:15pm aunt sally wrote:
Yes i do agree with you, but the happiness and safty of your children should be your only concern i known you would move heaven and earth for yours
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 4:19pm lauren wrote:
I did move my child but i cant be responsible for moving every other child that is bullied, thats why i started the thread "are your children safe at school" so people can be informed whats going on and can also be aware, and i was critisied for doing that by a few people. (cant win).
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 4:22pm anon wrote:
Why the hell should parents have to move there children if they are being bullied at school? The schools should damn well deal with the bullies, not inflict more upset for the bullied child by uprooting them from there school friends!!!! Aunt Sally you cannot possibly have kids!
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 5:23pm anon2 wrote:
Hi anon, I here what your saying and totally agree with you but i was banging my head with the school over my son and nothing was being done so for the health and saftey of my son and his mental state i had to take him out the school and thank god he is really happy where he is now. I was so worried about uprooting him but thankfully he is no longer being bullied, but what i have heard through the grepevine is the bullies are now picking on other children which makes me sad because it proves that the school are still not doing anything about it. And to name the school it's the same one that laurens child went to. I personally think the head is appauling for letting this still go on, more parents need to stand together and deal with this awful man.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 5:36pm Anon 3. wrote:
I've said it before and I will say it again.Wallands had problems 25 years ago when my son was there.I didn't take him out and I wish I had.Mr Morris was the headmaster then,na dit was a 'liberal' school,which I initially liked.If you have kids who are not happy there,take them out.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 5:39pm lauren wrote:
so morris had no balls either............
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 5:45pm anon wrote:
Hi anon2, i also removed my child from wallands, what makes me cross with remarks like aunt sally's is they think that it's as simple as that!! move the child! As you probably know, it's not a simple easy decision, idiots remarks just makes me so cross. i'm sorry to hear your son has suffered as well, but pleased that he's happy at his new school, my son is much happier at his new school too. Davies is an idiot, if he came out of his comfy office once in a while, he might just see whats going on at the school!!
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 5:47pm lauren wrote:
I second that anon........
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 6:41pm kitty cat wrote:
I will say it again I WAS NOT BULLIED AT WALLANDS. I got bullied OUT of school when I went to priory. I am not withdrawn-far from it. It didnt affect my learning I just hated school but not through bullying.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 6:49pm wallands hater wrote:
Why say it again?? lucky you, you weren't bullied at wallands!!! your point is??
 
1
On 6 May 2008 at 7:33pm anon4 wrote:
KITTYCAT you do go on, there's nothing here directed at you to be honest i could'nt give a dam about you. You may not be withdrawn or having any learning issues but you can talk some S**t. People that are on this thread are on it for the concerns of bullying at certain schools, mainly wallands so you being at school 50 years ago has sweet F A to do with this topic. Why dont you go to the top of the page and start a new thread and stop wasting peoples time talking C**p on this thread. Some suggestions for your new thread, knitting, the art of shaping dog poo, catching rain drops and playing with traffic. Hope these are of some use to your thread.............................................................
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 7:50pm lopster wrote:
I was not bullied at Wallands - nor was my wife
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 7:55pm lauren wrote:
Kittycat your starting to sound like Fred Elliott from coronation street. Get a life and stop talking about something you know nothing about!!!
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 10:02pm Lord Pike wrote:
Judging by the standard of English on this thread (your for you're; did'nt for didn't...), our schools have failed in several ways.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 11:05pm Anon 3 wrote:
No he didn't Lauren. I heard a few years later he had 1.possibly 2 nervous breakdowns.As did another teacher there who I won't name but seemed to think that children from families who were from broken homes or were bought up in council accomodation were less 'teachable' than children bought up in 'better' circumstances.I was a classrom helper and on the PTA and was shocked at what I heard the teachers saying in the staff room.Several Mums took thier children out that year with this particular taecher.I wish I had done the same.Wallands....Hasn't changed much.25 years on,still the same troubled school.
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 11:09pm Anon 3 wrote:
I think Kittycat has friends or family who teach at Wallands...Just like the tacky Compass group thread a while back...
 
 
On 6 May 2008 at 11:17pm kitty cat wrote:
Sorry to disappoint chaps but that is a no on both counts sorry xx. Perhaps I could make it my hobby to find a friend in each xx
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 8:47am anon4 wrote:
Get a life lord PR**k,, if thats oll you can doo pool peepil up for spellin then you hav a sad life, my education is veri good yoo saddo.......................................
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 8:51am anon6 wrote:
Good luck kittycat, I think you need it reading your comments!!!!!!!
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 6:43pm foxy wrote:
lauren, do you know anything about kitty to pass a comment like that,fred was a butcher i say a butcher i say,kitty sounds like an educated person not a dumb twit,or was you bullied or a bully?????
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 6:49pm foxy wrote:
Anon 4.5 if that is the best you can do for humer then keep the day time job (if you hae one)
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 6:51pm lauren wrote:
I never was a bully nor am i now, but when someone who went to Wallands 50 years ago comments on what the kids are going through now and does'nt know what they are talking about it gets my heckles up.
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:03pm sax wrote:
Oh foxy have you had a bad day, reading between the lines you sound like kitty cat, ARE YOU DISGUISE
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:19pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi lauren hun. I did not go to wallands 50 years ago as the school is only 52/53 years old and I did my early school years in london. Hope your daughter is happy at her new school xx
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:22pm foxy wrote:
No sax I am not in disguise I just get fed up with people picking on subjects that they probably know very little about
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:38pm lauren wrote:
Dear kitty cat, i was joking when i said 50 years, i was having abit of fun. My daughter is having a great time at her new school and is much more settled in the fact she's not watching her back all the time. thank you for enquiring about her. xx
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:51pm jona wrote:
so, wallands has bullies and is troubled. southover is for middle class yummy mummies, that leaves st pancras malling and pells.
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:56pm sax wrote:
Get a life foxy. I have 4 kids and 2 of them were up there, they had nothing but hell so i took them out. their now at malling primary and are excelling in all subjects, so i do know what im talking about. Sounds like your talking about a subject you know nothing about. (GIVE IT A REST)
 
 
On 7 May 2008 at 7:59pm sax wrote:
My 2 kids love malling school.
 
 
On 8 May 2008 at 2:38pm Lewey from Lewes wrote:
Offham Private is the best, because it is, ok?


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Cliffe Tableau 2019 25:132
Cliffe Tableau 2019

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell