Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

parking restrictions grow

On 17 Jan 2008 at 4:58pm LORD OF THE CAR PARKS wrote:
those with permits can park in car parks until 09.00 and county hall may be moving to Polegate in the near future yes perhaps Lewes may die who knows i will just move to Polegate YOU GUYS JUST BRING ALL PROBLEMS ON YOURSELVES. AMEN

On 17 Jan 2008 at 6:25pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Good, hope you enjoy Polegate.

On 17 Jan 2008 at 7:02pm Cliffe Ord wrote:
At last - we'll be rid of the eyesore that is County Hall - knock it down I say!

On 17 Jan 2008 at 10:00pm The Super K wrote:
Whats that got to do with the restrictions growing? spill the beans where the next free parking disappearing from.

On 17 Jan 2008 at 10:10pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Inside the back page of the Christmas/New Year edition of the Sussex Express, ESCC had a notice making "official" their road traffic order (dated 28th December).
Apart from placing the notice in the Christmas/New Year edition (when hardly anyone reads the entire paper), they listed in very small print all the restrictions in Lewes.
I noticed that one road previously listed as "Residents parking" has now been reclassified as ""Waiting Restrictions are Marked by Signs only".
As usual, no consultation and no fair hearing - just a comment stating that "any person wishing to question the validity of the order..........may within six weeks, apply to the High Court for this purpose".
I suspect that Lord of the Car Parks is possibly making reference to this order.

On 17 Jan 2008 at 10:59pm s.oliver wrote:
Lewes residents did not bring any problems on themselves, as they did not write the parking policies, or fail to properly police the parking before that. (two wardens apparently caught sitting in cafes rather too often, who only issued tickets in double figures each month) Lewesians were however, misled in the consultation, as were Councillors. No one at ESCC seems to have noticed yet that they have approved something that was different on maps from the traffic orders, ALL the dual use bays were incorrectly described as 'resident parking', misleading us all about their use. What has been approved is not what was on consultation documents. Just go look at the maps that were used. Council employees should be a little bit careful when criticising Lewes residents as they were the idiots who did this. Incidentally, I have been issued with 5 tickets, none of which were valid, and were all cancelled. What a waste of time for me, and ESCC staff. It is also harassing. No scheme is perfect, but it would be nice to have one that had been properly approved by someone, using accurate information. I would then be happy to put up with it even if I didn't agree with it.

On 18 Jan 2008 at 6:23pm LORD OF THE CAR PARKS wrote:
go down to north st car park read the signs its closing

On 18 Jan 2008 at 8:21pm s.oliver wrote:
That is correct ESCC own the carpark, and coincidentally run the scheme. Nothing to do with Lewes residents, or the shoppers that use the car park. I wonder where we are all expected to go, as planning policy requires that LDC should not approve plans that worsen the traffic. Hmm.....?

On 18 Jan 2008 at 8:49pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
It is an interesting point that S Oliver makes.
What is the population of Lewes?
The last official figure I saw (about 8 years ago) was 16,000 so I would have thought 18 to 19K would be appropriate now.
LDC are selling 3a Fisher Street at present and, in their advertising gumph, they say that the population is nearly 24K
Could this be true - has the town's population swollen by virtually 50% within a decade?
If this is true then it would reflect upon the number of vehicles using the roads, the increased demand for parking, etc etc.

On 18 Jan 2008 at 10:40pm LORD OF THE CAR PARKS wrote:
go to bottom of north st 2 all day by corporation villers

On 19 Jan 2008 at 4:40pm s.oliver wrote:
I am not looking to pay even more money to go to a carpark, I want to park somwhere using my already paid for in advance permit.
The issue is that non permit holders who can no longer use the North St car park will use the dual-use bays making them even less accessible. There is a clear discrimination against permit-holders who are pre-paying to use spaces that are being made increasingly less available. To understand the problem you need to be aware of parking policy, not be determined to believe that there is adequate parking. As I have mentioned before, even ESCC have admitted there is not. So that is one thing that everyone agrees upon. Parking space numbers are shrinking, whilst the number of residential units is rising, but LDC and ESCC have ignored the problem, and have no policy that addresses the new cars that come with all the developments they are approving. There should be public transport developments, car ownership restrictions for new developments and other mesures. Instead we have a bus station operating from a narrow piece of pavement in East St, held to ransom by everyones favourite local developer, (friendly wave to Mr 'friend of Lewes' Elliot) and no permit restriction policy at all, so a bad situation gets worse.
There is no reason why it could not be improved, but it seems that with the exception or Merlin Milner, our local Councillors are uninterested, or incapable.

On 20 Jan 2008 at 8:54am dog walker wrote:
so why don't the buses use the bus station some buses do ?

On 20 Jan 2008 at 11:08am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
S Oliver,
You appear to have a real grip on this farcical situation - I agree with everything that you have said. Zones B and D are horrendously over-subscribed. Interestingly, at the Planning Application Meeting for the Baxter's development (54 units - 12 of which shall also be businesses - and 19 car parking spaces between them!) the Council agreed to disqualify the new residents from participating in the Residents Parking scheme for a two year period - that now appears to be conveniently forgotten in true LDC fashion.
Dog Walker,
Bus Station has been sold to the demonic Rees Elliott property developers and they are charging buses fees to use the station.
Outrageous that ESCC (and LDC) allowed for the bus station to be sold in the first place, particularly as they are forcing people out of cars.
Personally, I think the bus station should be listed - it's one of the only (if not only) Art Deco buildings in the town centre.

On 20 Jan 2008 at 3:52pm s.oliver wrote:
oh, and there is also a policy that planning changes should not endanger pedestrians, or worsen their safety. So one wonders why the Councillors are allowing planners to shove queues of pedestrians onto a narrow pavement with no facilities for buses, on a busy and dangerous corner of a one way system, and which also forces pedestrians out into the road to avoid the queues.
I would also agree that the bus Station central building is worth preserving in some way as it is unique to the town, but as our Planning department cannot even ensure that the pointing on the prominent listed building opposite (Eastgate House) is the right colour I am not confident that this modernist building will survive. This is of course rather surprising as Mr Elliot is so keen to convince us we need giant modernist buildings in other areas of the town where they didn't exist before.

On 21 Jan 2008 at 6:08pm dog walker wrote:
Thank you for your reply Spinster Of This Parish for the info on the bus station the Council seems to be walking all over us i am going to see Baker and ask him why. (wont do much good though i don't think)

On 21 Jan 2008 at 9:00pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Architects and developers use their "contemporary" erections to compensate for their inadequacies in life.
Says a lot about Mr Elliott!

On 23 Jan 2008 at 7:41pm You couldnt make these things up ! wrote:
This has only a slight bearing on the parking problems in Lewes, but thought you would be interested in the information below.
I just hope Eastbourne continue to fight this otherwise they will end up in the same situation as Lewes !!!
Eastbourne Council are continuing to fight ESCC (but in reality Cllr. Lock) re the parking scheme proposed for Eastbourne.
Despite Eastbourne Council objecting to the scheme from the time they were elected in May 2007, Cllr Lock ignored them went ahead spending OUR money, installing parking meters, signing contracts with NCP etc. etc. Eastbourne Council will continue to fight Cllr Lock re this scheme. Eastbourne is now in the absurd position of having no parking scheme, the old scheme has now been superceded and the new scheme has been judged illegal. So parking in Eastbourne is a free-for-all and Cllr Lock (ESCC) is losing about 40,000.00 per month (again of OUR money) for nothing.
Maybe the most surprising thing about this fiasco is that no-one is shouting for Matthew Lock's resignation.

On 25 Jan 2008 at 2:03pm philip smith wrote:
more money for the council to put in there fat pockets

On 16 Mar 2008 at 9:04pm philip smith wrote:
lewes died ages ago theres hardly lewes people left in lewes there all nearly gone .And i can understand way cos it crxx now .Just full of junkys pixxheads londoners and louts but not all are that in lewes there are still good people in lewes left thank god .and sadly as u know the parking killing shops off in lewes.any how god bless u all

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Swans in the pool 85:132
Lewes Swans in the pool

One could say "alternative facts".....climate change is a hoax, i know so because the fossil fuel industry told me.

You just... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington