Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

parking

On 27 Mar 2015 at 3:06pm mikey wrote:
About two weeks ago I was unloading my sign written van in the local area 10.30 A.M. Left to enter customer's property and returned about three minutes later. Lady parking warden already writing out parking contravention. When I said what about 10 minute unloading time she informed me it was 5 minutes unloading time. I pointed out that I had only been about 3 minutes and that I had just collected a parking permit. I showed it to her. She grudgingly left it at that and went. They have a job to do but be reasonable and have some manners. Anyway not many people can unload anything in 5 minutes. especially if they can't park close to the property. Annoyed of Lewes.
On 27 Mar 2015 at 5:51pm Historian wrote:
Don't know what's going on in the High Street these day, coaches just use the bus stops for ages to load their trippers and students causing gridlock, white delivery vans stop where ever they like, old people feel they have the right for door to door service and take ages to get out of the car., which just pulls over on the pavement where they feel like. Plus I'm sure the prison cross roads lights have been altered again, causing long tail backs. Of course the wardens aren't interested in anything other than giving out tickets, the fact the High Street is jammed doesn't bother them a jot.
On 27 Mar 2015 at 6:08pm Local wrote:
not sure what the sex of the warden has to do with anything, but my understanding is that she is wrong about loading times (which apply to everyone, not just sign written vans) You can check online
On 27 Mar 2015 at 6:28pm Mark wrote:
I think mikey was just adding colour to make the story more vibrant. The little descriptive details. I like how she "grudgingly left it at that." I'd like to hear more about Mikey's travails.

On 27 Mar 2015 at 7:18pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Some years ago we had traffic wardens; not the "enforcement officers" of today.
Most wardens used their common sense with deliveries, and even directed traffic around the unloading vehicle. The current regime seem only capable of issuing tickets, with the attitude "you can challenge it". Many tickets are cancelled; but it does not help the the honest trader trying to earn a living when it involves a grovelling trip the the parking shop.
On 27 Mar 2015 at 11:15pm Mavis wrote:
Don't forget you can add your name to the "Hate the Lewes parking scheme" petition that's been on here for over 10 years. Can't say it's been very effective though !!
On 28 Mar 2015 at 8:37am Grunge wrote:
Historian, have a little compassion for old people who "take ages to get out of the car". It can be difficult for them to jump out like spring lambs. Problems can be caused by the camber of the road, or if they are too near the pavement. Get someone to explain it to you. Arthritis and other disabilities can also be a factor. If you are "lucky" you may get to be old too, and then you will know, and be grateful for other drivers' patience.
On 28 Mar 2015 at 10:06am P.C wrote:
First do not pay it . well if she was righting out a ticket before your time was up that wrong . no 2 if she was stop talking to you would haveed time to finish unloading in the set time
On 28 Mar 2015 at 2:30pm C.P wrote:
Me no under standee. Call Lone Ranger he right wrongs
On 28 Mar 2015 at 4:49pm guido wrote:
Had the same thing happen this week. Parked in the car park by Harveys yard, partner and child got out and I walked to the machine to purchase a ticket. On my return found an elderly traffic warden happily tapping away and starting to issue us with a ticket. I must have been away from the car under a minute. He soon backed down a walked away quietly.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny 21:132
Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny

any keyring? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle