Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

old lewes

On 1 Aug 2008 at 4:51pm jenny wrote:
anyone remember 1980's lewes....shops....International shop top of town...the gourmet.....

On 1 Aug 2008 at 5:25pm Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
The Lunch Counter, Packhams Pantry, Record Bar, the Gun Shop, that funny little shop up Station Street that sold everything and always had vibrators in the window (for massaging your neck with of course !), Clothkits, Lacys (?) toy shop, Intersport being up by Mountfield Road, Adlands second hand shop, Ransomes, Texas where Bills is now (except they didnt use the pavement).. and what about the railway land before it was built on - a great place to go when you should have been at school, hardly any traffic, no parking scheme !!, the railway arches down Cliffe High Street, driving all the way down Cliffe High street, going to parties in the dorms at Southover Grange school after the Swan closed and being chased out by teachers, swimming in said schools pool after the pub, and being chased out by the police ! How things have changed....
On 1 Aug 2008 at 6:36pm FA wrote:
Ruggs garage where Argos is, Tescos where Bills is, Gamleys where the pet shop is, the wool shop by the alley to the brewery, wonderful wilsons toy shop where Harveys shop is now, The taxi place where riverside is, Rice bros where forfars is, the polar bear cafe, Timothy whites up where Abeey national is.
Does anyone remember the butchers on the corner where monsoon is....i remember going in there some 38 years ago as a 4 year old with my mum and there was always about 3 feet of sawdust to play in on the floor....always had that smell that if i ever smell now, just takes me back to that.
What about Bobsies shop down talbot terrace or Rutherfords and the VG at Malling. I used to do a paper round for John and Sue Rutherford....he had the worst syrup on the planet (allegedly) and before Rutherfords, it was run by a grumpy old git and it was called foxes
Happy days.
On 1 Aug 2008 at 7:35pm Lewesianne wrote:
What about the fruit and veg store up station street? Anyone remember that?

On 1 Aug 2008 at 10:37pm fireball wrote:
what about the co.op store. and the record bar .
yorkshire bakery .
bobs sweet shop in talbert terace. gambly. now the pet shop
liptons now currys. maynards sweet shop, now coopers
that just for now .
On 2 Aug 2008 at 9:12am Lord landport wrote:
In a prev post I mentioned some pics of old Lewes just type into you tube Lewes 80s pictures there is several montages of pics with backing tracks have a look
many of the places mentioned above in pictures

On 2 Aug 2008 at 9:38am me wrote:
john rutherfords syrup was legendary. Can't remember what the odd little shop selling scalectrix bits just along from where the dorset now is, was called.

On 2 Aug 2008 at 9:48am zola wrote:
I put in your link LL and just spent a pleasant half hour watching Dwyle Flucking,bonfire clips,all things Lewes...And I ended up on one that caught my eye.
Put 'Transition Town Lewes' in You Tube.....
Interesting.
On 2 Aug 2008 at 12:58pm Knock off Nigel wrote:
I remember Ruggs garage being up station street near the Royal Oak and International where Bills is. Caffyns were where Argos is. FA,I did a paper round for Foxy. The shop had a fag machine on the wall outside. Imagaine that now!
Is Rutherford still alive I wonder or is his wig being worn by someone who frequents Bills?

On 2 Aug 2008 at 2:28pm fireball wrote:
doze anyone remember laces department store at the bottom of school hill
On 2 Aug 2008 at 3:14pm rene wrote:
Lol! yes i remember getting caught shoplifting from there.Nice shop though with a lovely coffee shop upstairs.Lewes really is lacking in good shops.
On 2 Aug 2008 at 3:34pm juju wrote:
its all very well the ecos saying we should shop in the small shops but i cant afford to and then have to travel miles to by anything within my price range,electricals, clothes ect, yes i know we can buy online but i like to look over things before i spend my cash!!!
Anyone recall Dawns boutque and the leather shop on station st that made the most delightful baby booties

On 2 Aug 2008 at 6:27pm kitty cat wrote:
How about Reed and Berrys the underwear shop? Milwards where the italian restaurant was opposite School Hill docs. Lewes Television where Mays now is, the Granada telly shop where Harveys now are, Rice brothers, Timothy Whites, Acres the Bakers, Boots where Smiths now is, Smiths where Roland Gorringe now is, Fads where Argos is, the Art shop by the Brewers Arms and the paint shop next door, the Kitchen shop where the hairdressers is on scholl hill, B. J. Newmans builders merchants where the precinct now is and Good Old Lewes Press/Clothkits where the Natwest and the Ambulance offices now are and I dont even come from Lewes. I was born in Wimbledon but all this has changed in the past 40 odd years, and no I have never been to the tennis x

On 2 Aug 2008 at 6:43pm FA wrote:
Kitty cat....wasn't clothkits just up school hill roughly where the luggage shop and coffee shop is now. The ambulance offices was courts before it burned down and then, i'm sure it moved to where Bunces is ?

On 2 Aug 2008 at 6:44pm zola wrote:
We sound about the same age Kitty Cat...I used to shop in Wightman and Parrish where Bright Ideas is now...And use both laundrettes,the one down the bottom where Help the Aged is now,and the one in DeMontfort Road....I used to use the fleapit cinema on School Hill where the Sussex Express office is,and the Odeon.Creeses the butchers was near Mount Pleasant,Heathers bread shop at the top of the steps that lead down to Talbot Terrace....And I'm sure there was a newsagents near there too...Where the furniture place is/was?

On 2 Aug 2008 at 6:54pm juju wrote:
natwest then moved up hill to just below express office, what about whiteman and parish some where near the war memorial, and my parents had a shop on station st for many years.

On 2 Aug 2008 at 10:08pm frankfurtersausage wrote:
.What about panache where the health food place is in the bottle neck. Wyndhams shoe shop, the best shoes in the town. Next, Kendalls, before that. Dawns boutique...........................ah those raa raa skirts and who remembers the jeans shop run by Andy on station street, near the sports shop called............. What was it called..............
Bright ideas in the needlemakers. then by the white hart and now on school hill.

On 2 Aug 2008 at 10:43pm juju wrote:
what about Celio roto(bad spelling) where the bag shop now is, run by Pam Murray who was my first ever boss.Great lady R.I.P.
luandrette in cliffe, job centre on station st, boots next to abbey national. Do we have any goog greasy spoons in town now?

On 2 Aug 2008 at 10:47pm zola wrote:
Juju,I worked in Cilelo Roto too....

On 2 Aug 2008 at 10:49pm zola wrote:
And Pam was married to Roger the accupuncturist.....

On 2 Aug 2008 at 10:51pm juju wrote:
i worked in clematis in haywards heath but came in to lewes shop often.
On 2 Aug 2008 at 10:53pm juju wrote:
He was only learning back then, he came to my door other day he dont change a bit, i worked with Geraldine
On 2 Aug 2008 at 11:02pm zola wrote:
I bought my first Levi jacket and jeans form Quib Boutique.In station Street,near the bottom on the Lansdowne side.With my first weeks wages as a waitress at Drusillas Zoopark near Berwick.Circa 1973?
Very happy days!!

On 2 Aug 2008 at 11:02pm juju wrote:
i worked in their Haywards heath shop after leaving school, spent many a long day steaming or ironing stock if i was lucky i got to help dress the window.

On 2 Aug 2008 at 11:05pm juju wrote:
was there a Shirley working there with you?

On 2 Aug 2008 at 11:08pm zola wrote:
Chat is back Juju.Come next door.....

On 3 Aug 2008 at 12:51pm kitty cat wrote:
Actually FA Clothkits first started at No. 1 Mountfield Road in an upstairs room run by a lady called Anne(I think). Where the Halifax is it used to be The Lewes Building Society who then bought Reed and Berry's who used to be where the new estate agents are, where the toy shop used to be. Lewes Press stood where the new ambulance offices are at the end of Friars walk. I used to work there. I remember all the employees marched along Friars walk and had a 'burial' at the back of the Press at the bottom of Broomans lane. We buried an old plastic monkey as a memorial to the press

On 3 Aug 2008 at 3:31pm FA wrote:
What about Douglas Fryer, the stamp and model shop or the coin shop right on the corner of the high street and south street.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 4:32pm juju wrote:
Hi Kitty cat, my husband wants to know "do you recall the monkey going handgliding?"He Has photos of the burial!

On 3 Aug 2008 at 4:34pm zola wrote:
My son used to like the gun shop up near the Pelham....

On 3 Aug 2008 at 4:42pm juju wrote:
The son of the gun shop owner was asaterday boy at Boots, seem to remember all the girls thought he was a bit hot!

On 3 Aug 2008 at 10:58pm expat wrote:
B.J. Newmans was my first full time job with Maureen who used to live on Keere St. Before that I worked for the foxs at malling and hid chocolate bars in the stock room to eat later, and Shelleys hotel with the crooked floors which made it hard to carry the peas and land them on the plates. Missed a few times.

On 4 Aug 2008 at 8:10pm kittycat wrote:
Hi juju. Yes I remember the hang-glinding monkey. I also remember when the monkey was taken away to have an MOT and came back dressed in a suit with the line 'Old Brown eyes is back'. The monkey was also dressed up a spaceman, elvis and dracula for halloween. Does your husband have a navy blue tie from the press with the motto B.U.M.O.F.F. with the monkey in the middle. BUMOFF standing for 'BURRUPS UNWANTED MONKEY OLD FANS FEDERATION printed on it? Does your husband remember Pat White as the Bishop? xx

On 4 Aug 2008 at 8:12pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi expat. I do remember Maureen from BJ Newmans. I was the pesron who took over from her all those years ago. Do you remember Harry Homan the lorry driver and Clive Moon who (If I recall correctly) the bathroom side of things? x

On 4 Aug 2008 at 9:14pm expat wrote:
Hi Kitty, I would have left before you arrived, I remember Dave Pollard and a big guy(no name!), but can't remember either of the names you've given. Steve was the boss and had a beard and glasses and lived in Uckfield if I remember right. Was he still there? I don't know how long Maureen stayed after I left.

On 4 Aug 2008 at 9:27pm juju wrote:
Oh kitty cat, he recalls it all so well, his Dad worked there, he had the tie and has been telling me stories of the monkey for yrs. Well you made him smile, will have to ask his Mum where the tis is.When the press closed did you move on to Baxters like some did? yes he does remember Pat.Did the monkey get taken hostage and one point?
On 4 Aug 2008 at 9:43pm juju wrote:
Can get pics of monkey burial, how can i get them put to this web site?

On 4 Aug 2008 at 10:03pm juju wrote:
Mother in law says she dumped monkey pics, so last post can be scrapped!!!!cr*p

On 4 Aug 2008 at 10:12pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi juju. Which department did your hubbys dad work in at the press? No I didnt go to baxters I ended up in B J Newmans. The Press was a really great place to work. If my memory serves me correct yes the monkey got taken hostage by one of the other departments within the press/ Have just recalled that the monkey was also dressed up as a clown as well. x
On 4 Aug 2008 at 10:18pm kitty cat wrote:
Yep I remember Steve the boss. The other driver was called Nick I think. The boys used to call steve homan, harry so as not to get the steves mixed us when their names were yelled up the yard.

On 5 Aug 2008 at 6:06pm juju wrote:
He was a proof reader, which department did you work in?

On 5 Aug 2008 at 9:47pm KITTY CAT wrote:
Hi juju. I was in the front office answering the phones and doing office stuff x

On 5 Aug 2008 at 9:57pm kitty cat wrote:
That means your father in law was at the back of the press in the comp department. Its possible that his overseer was Dick Colyer, the nutcase who rode his bkie to and from seaford I think x

On 6 Aug 2008 at 8:38am juju wrote:
Yeah thats right Kitty Cat, my farther in law was one of the four who went on to form Barbican Press!

On 6 Aug 2008 at 12:07pm kitty cat wrote:
So thats got to be either Mr Brownings, Simon? and I cant remember the others. What a small world?

On 6 Aug 2008 at 1:47pm juju wrote:
Shame he is one of the other two!!! Yes it is a small world and with sites like this it will only continue to get smaller

On 6 Aug 2008 at 8:38pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi juju. thanks for your info and kind regards to your father in law. Its good to remember the good times xx

On 17 Dec 2008 at 12:37pm dicky seabrook wrote:
hollaways! best bread ever,mountfield rd school before it became co-ed and yes ofcourse lewes manor school for girls great simming and more!. never got caught. jugs lane;lewes priory before it was totaly fenced in. station inn op railway arms....remember that. the brooks when they were the brooks.cuckshoot lane, then over the wall to geerings lot, best way into the manner school!.lewes 2nd scouts over the kings head in southover....lewes 1st at the navel prison. lewes rugby club when they realy had players from lewes and were sx champs. ronnie browns groc store on priory st and the jolly friers pub etc etc and we all knew each other.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Cliffe Tableau 2015 24:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015

Yes I’m really going to miss the ‘its Oh so wonderful and it’s only 600 quid’ advertising features … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy