Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

no launderette??? Why not...?

On 9 Mar 2011 at 12:43pm grimes wrote:
so there is no lauderette in lewes when at some point i think we could of or will need use of one, some people cant afford a washing machine straight away, there are people in temporary housing that have no area for washing machines and that have no support around them and people on benefits waiting for help to fund a machine for there household takes a good few months to recieve and the nearest one is a bus journy to ringmer... With children thats very hard and overall more expensive! There are also elderly people who could really do with that extra support... And kid me not there are a good few middle class families in lewes that could do with a lauderette to.. I have had convosations with alot of people from lewes on this matter and if someone was to open one it would be used to its advantage... I really dont understand why there isnt one..

On 9 Mar 2011 at 1:41pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Because some people can't see such an obviously brilliant business opportunity and just moan about the lack of such a business, I suppose.
On 9 Mar 2011 at 2:30pm Washer wrote:
There used to be one on DeMontfort Rd but it closed down, strangely enough, because it wasn't used much & there're plenty of poor housing areas nearby there
On 9 Mar 2011 at 2:38pm grimes wrote:
if i had the money i would open one beleive you me... And it would be more central to town, The old one i would say was quite out of the way... We have 3 dry cleaners why dont they expand...
On 9 Mar 2011 at 4:39pm bastian wrote:
The demontfort one closed down 15 years ago and it wasn't very big either.I have always thought Lewes needs launderette,we can't assume that everyone has a washing machine or access to a machine.
On 9 Mar 2011 at 5:12pm Penguin wrote:
There used to be one in Cliffe High Street as well, down by the Gardeners.
On 9 Mar 2011 at 6:08pm grimes wrote:
i agree bastian... The one in the high street is a dry cleaners! Hopefully someone who can will open one eventualy..
On 9 Mar 2011 at 7:02pm Reckitt's wrote:
What is wrong with hand washing?
On 9 Mar 2011 at 7:38pm bastian wrote:
have you ever done a familly wash by hand?,I think not
On 9 Mar 2011 at 9:32pm drone wrote:
The place in Ringmer does good business I`m told. The one in the Cliffe always seemed busy but the machines were always breaking down. Like to see a laundrette open in Lewes.
On 9 Mar 2011 at 10:34pm sfb wrote:
Why no laundrette? Because it's the 21st century.
The only place in modern Britain with a launderette is Eastenders, where despite all the characters affording to live in half million pound houses (while working on a market stall) none have washing machines.
On 9 Mar 2011 at 11:04pm grimes wrote:
i would have to correct you there.... Everywhere has laundrettes... That is exactly why im suprised lewes does not have one... Thats a very off comment... Yes it is the 21st century and noones getting richer... And yes handwashing doesnt quite cut it for a familie!! Jesus some people!
On 10 Mar 2011 at 8:53am Beth wrote:
Good morning, I applied for planning permission three months ago to open a launderette in lewes, I have one in Brighton and would like to expand so what this space! It will be cheap and offer a delivery service so you won't have to wait around. Kind regards
On 10 Mar 2011 at 9:01am Vesbod wrote:
Launderettes were a god send when I was a sudent - yes, keen and clean, that's my motto !!
On 10 Mar 2011 at 11:42am numberjack wrote:
The dry cleaners in the Cliffe offer a laundry service, so if it's just that you don't have time (guess this isn't you Grimes), take your washing there. They don't do knickers etc, so you would have to do them by hand!
They are also the only dry cleaners in town who clean on the premises.
Yes I do have a vested (please excuse the pun) interest!
On 10 Mar 2011 at 1:14pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think they come into their own when your washing machine breaks down and you can't get it fixed for weeks. If Ringmer, Uckfield and Seaford can all provide enough business to keep a launderette going, I don't see why Lewes can't.
On 10 Mar 2011 at 2:07pm Reckitt's wrote:
By the time you pay for parking in Lewes, you might as well drive (or catch a bus) to Ringmer.
Oh, and BTW Grimes, I handwash for a family.
On 10 Mar 2011 at 7:33pm Goldfinch's Dry Cleaner wrote:
We do offer a laundry service,we do wash & press,wash or press only service,we also offer a free weekly delivery service.If items are dropped off in the morning they can be collected later in the day.
On 10 Mar 2011 at 9:49pm grimes wrote:
Beth great idea, ill be very pleased... and so will many other people!!
good for you reckitts, but i dont have time to do that leaning over a bath for hours doesnt do my bad back any favours!!
looking forward to the day one opens!!
a laundrette that you can put your own washing in whatever it may be knickers or whatever and do it yourself... more private and im sure theres the extra cost of someone doing it for you...
oh and maybe dont drive in with the washing then... walk..?? lewes isnt that big and not everyone has a car!!
On 12 Mar 2011 at 5:27pm Mrs Twine wrote:
Grimes - what would walking to and from a launderette with a week's wash do for your bad back, dear?
On 13 Mar 2011 at 8:53pm grimes wrote:
alot better than leaning over a bath, thats for sure!... supposed to be active with my back problems.. that aside, laundrette is the topic, not my back... lewes could do with one! hopfully beths planning permission will be granted!! good luck!

On 13 Mar 2011 at 10:23pm Mrs Twine wrote:
Beth - I hope you aren't the one who is so rude to everyone on other threads. Do you have a Doppelganger?
On 6 Aug 2015 at 12:23am Desperately need a laund wrote:
A launderette is a vital service
Please where is the nearest to Lewes ?
On 4 Oct 2015 at 6:17pm Brian Lang wrote:
To my mind, cleaning service is very profitable kind of business. We use cleaning service very often, because our house need it . They work quickly and qualitatively . It is very convenient and actually saves time and family's health.

Check it out here »

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Arch Bishop burning 4:132
Arch Bishop burning

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle