Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

mumfords / money talks

On 13 Mar 2013 at 10:57pm first test match wrote:
next week the trustte's of the convent field vote to decide if the field can be used for the concert . About a week later the same people will vote to accept or reject the license ... mmmmmmm cant guess which way its going . What info do we know so far .... well nothing all we are told is that a concert with 25,000 people is being held and that camping is at the school field . We have not been told how it affects people in the area , how they intend to get that many people onto the field , how they will get that many people off the field , escape routes , road closures , parking .
Consultation is the free flow of information between parties why is this concert so secretive , LDC please consult properly , oh you have you asked JAMES PAGE lol
On 13 Mar 2013 at 11:58pm max wrote:
I think everyone should write to LDC to get this ridiculous event cancelled.
On 14 Mar 2013 at 12:29am Dave wrote:
I don't think its ridiculous at all, I think its a fabulous idea and I feel Lewes should be proud to host such an event.
It's one weekend in a year, how bad can it be? How permanently scarred will you or the town be?
A few days after it Lewes will be back to normal as if nothing had happened, its an opportunity in so many ways why not just make the most of it and enjoy the experience?
That what I'm going to do anyway
On 14 Mar 2013 at 6:15am first test match wrote:
Its all about information and i am seeing any come from LDC .
Ithink the largest ground apart from the battle of Celebrations back in the 60's was a bonfire society using it some years ago . They were restricted to 2,000 people because of safety fears . But whats another 23,000 people between friends .
@Dave you are right it is a fabulous event and thousands will love it, but its in the wrong place .!!!!!!!!
On 14 Mar 2013 at 6:41am Starman wrote:
You lot are starting to sound like Miss Fowler-Tutt who objected to The Kiss. What harm can it do, it's great for the town and we'll remember it for years to come.
On 14 Mar 2013 at 8:24am Pete wrote:
Anyone seen Worthy Farm after a wet weekend?
On 14 Mar 2013 at 8:27am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
And if it isn't a success, it need never happen again.
I don't get why people are so down on trying stuff. If this town can manage bonfire without it all going t!ts up, 25,000 people, mostly contained in one area, with camping, parking and toilets, should be a breeze.
i'd still like to know how much they're paying to hire the Convent Field though. and I think residents should have had discounted tickets, like they do in Ardingly and Turners Hill for the South of England show.

On 14 Mar 2013 at 8:29am Great Uncle Bulgaria wrote:
That weekend coincides with my annual trip to the recycling centre in Ham Lane. Will i be able to get access?

On 14 Mar 2013 at 9:05am skipper wrote:
if you questions or want to comment write or call the council , but be careful what you ask they may say sorry its not for the public to know .
only rumour school get £5,000 to use it for camping
On 14 Mar 2013 at 5:24pm Cheeky Monkey wrote:
It'll be great for those that want to go and for those that dont, they can have the town centre pubs and restaurants to themselves both evenings from 5 til 11pm, simples!

On 14 Mar 2013 at 11:32pm skipper wrote:
But cheeky monkey the council say it will generate between half a million-1.5 million pound , so its not the 25,000 people at the concert spending money in town its the people that live here already . Bloody clever idea maybe you should be in the council and make stupid decisions as well .lol

On 15 Mar 2013 at 9:00am Claire Voyant wrote:
I foresee the 1-1.5 mill will come from festival visitors and service providers to the festival into local commerce. The 1-1.5 mil will additional spend and that's what will be measured. I foresee it will be on accommodation, caffs, bars and support services. I foresee it will put Lewes even more on the map as a visitor attraction. I'm having trouble reading you though, are you sure you haven't spelt your name wrong and it's actually skippy, are you actually dog?

On 15 Mar 2013 at 9:12am Claire Voyant wrote:
Sorry that's skippy the bush kangaroo not dog.

On 15 Mar 2013 at 9:27am Informant wrote:
Oi Skippy, you must work for the council then, that info hasn't been released yet. Don't worry I'm sure you'll be found and dealt with for bringing the council into disrepute. Lol
On 18 Mar 2013 at 12:27am mungoandmidge wrote:
It might be great it might not be, but as someone has pointed out, people are entitled to be concerned about parking, large numbers of campers descending on a small town, and the problems that often occur when events are first tried. As Brighton discovered to their cost with the Fat Boy Slim event. it is arrogant , discourteous, and possibly unlawful to just barge ahead with something like this without consulting people properly.
It is taxpayers money that is being risked, and the site is surrounded by homes.
i don't really care, as I don't live anywhere near the site, but i think it is perfectly reasonable for people that do, who don't often have 20,000 people gathering outside their houses to be just a little bit concerned. Older or vulnerable people who do not care about bands they have never heard of, or care about. they are not bedazzled by the celebrity, and profit aspect, they are just wondering if their front gardens might get trashed, or they will be losing sleep from all the activity associated with such events.

I think people should be a little bit less bullying and contemptious of other people's concerns. There have been events like this that have lost a lot of money. it isn't a guaranteed gold mine and shouldn't be described as such.If handled incorrectly could be a very costly mistake. LDC is not a successful business, it is a Council without any experience in running a music event. it does not mean that they could not cope admirably, but the egos need to be reigned in.
The best way to avoid problems is to listen to people, and ask the right questions not just bulldoze them because they disagree or are concerned about what is going on in a community that we all contribute towards..
I think it could be fine, but wouldn't dream of guaranteeing that.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 2:27pm Lewes lady wrote:
LDC aren't running it; they just issue licences to the professionals. But they may screw that up, yes.

On 18 Mar 2013 at 5:06pm Mungo and midge wrote:
agreed.
ie ..are responsible for ensuring that it is viable, properly organised well run, and that it is appropriate and won't end up causing costs to the town, or damage. One can only do that if one asks people about it first, based on facts. I am yet to see enough information that anyone impartial could base a decision on.

the biggest problems to me seems to be safety, the proximity to housing, any camping, and parking/traffic.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Clouds 65:132
Lewes Clouds

The Jobcentres should go back to the old system they had in the seventies.
Fit young claimants were offered unskilled work in... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell