Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

moving here?

 
 
On 22 Feb 2005 at 12:35pm Teresa wrote:
Hi everyone. We may be moving around the area of Lewes in a few years when my daughter and her partner move to Surrey. Can you tell me what the area's like for a couple of middle-aged (but still young!)people who want a nice friendly town with parks, history good surrounding countryside and theatres and cinemas within reach? Are there any other areas you'd suggest? Appreciate your help. THANKS.
1
1
On 22 Feb 2005 at 1:25pm Teresas Best Mate wrote:
History; Yes.
Parks; Yes but seen better.
Parking; Make sure any house you buy has it, cos parking is useless.
Also make sure any house that you buy isn't near the river or suffers flooding.
I lived in Lewes for most of my life but since the flooding of 2000 moved away by a few miles. Worth noting that the local council seems to be intent on filling every available space with more houses and IMHO its all getting a bit congested. You will get much more house for your cash plus less parking problems if you look slightly out of town. Wonder what budget you have???
 
 
On 22 Feb 2005 at 2:21pm The Reverend wrote:
Lewes is absolutely full of history so you wont be hard pushed looking for any! Not that many parks... But you can have lovely walks along the river to Hamsey and such... And you also have the Race Course and South Downs to walk. As your best mate mentioned parking is useless in Lewes. If you do buy a property here, try and get one with a garage or drive way! There are houses popping up everywhere in Lewes. Why I dont know. We need other things in Lewes like a cinema. Lewes does have a cinema but its only small. Same with the theatre... If you're looking for those then Brighton/Eastbourne is only up the road. Ringmer is a nice quite place if you wish to live just outside of Lewes. It has enough shops for milk n bread and the like but of course Lewes has more shops... Hope this was of some help?!!
 
 
On 22 Feb 2005 at 7:36pm Teresa wrote:
Certainly was- anything is helpful.
 
 
On 22 Feb 2005 at 8:56pm northern bigot wrote:
Is there censorship on this forum? People with traditional viewpoints?
 
 
On 22 Feb 2005 at 11:54pm l.port wrote:
uh oh
 
 
On 23 Feb 2005 at 5:58pm northern bigot wrote:
My response to an earlier deleted posting
 
1
On 23 Feb 2005 at 7:33pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
What was the subject matter, bigot?
 
 
On 23 Feb 2005 at 8:29pm northern bigot wrote:
TF Hello, for fear of being deleted again, i was responding to the comments of one of the Foreign forum members who wanted to work here and flog her pictures! The reason why these people find employment is because they will work for pay and conditions we wouldnt put up with. Dont believe Blair and his lowest unemployment ever lie, hes put 2 million of them on incapacity benefit, and we still have hundreds of thousands of UK citizens without jobs. Political correctness is killing freedom of speech.
 
 
On 24 Feb 2005 at 7:03pm peepee wrote:
Well said at the risk of being censored again I gotta agree with you.
 
 
On 24 Feb 2005 at 8:36pm Incomer wrote:
Hooray! At last something a little more interesting than parking.
 
 
On 25 Feb 2005 at 7:27pm Hurrah for PC! wrote:
Bigot: who are you talking about when you say 'these people'? People usually work for low pay and bad conditions when they don't have a choice and don't belong to a trade union. As for Incapacity Benefit, the higher rate for short-term claimants - ie. terminally ill people - is 74.15 - and you have to have paid sufficient national insurance contributions in your working life to get it. Poor Teresa won't want to move here at this rate!
 
 
On 25 Feb 2005 at 7:48pm northern bigot wrote:
PC,iam refering to the large influx of non British labour, the colour of their skin has nothing to do with it, iam opposed to it whether their from Poland or Nigeria. Being PC,no doubt you are also sympathetic to asylum seekers? How many democracies has an asylum seeker from Iran, China, Algeria etc gone through before reaching the UK? Surely if they were genuine they would claim asylum in the first democracy they reached?
 
 
On 25 Feb 2005 at 8:15pm incomer wrote:
They choose to come to this country because they believe (obviously wrongly in some cases) that we are a tolerant, fair and accepting nation and therefore we will accept what they can give us as much as they will accept the relatively little that we will give them.
 
 
On 25 Feb 2005 at 8:16pm peepee wrote:
Who ever puts a stop to this asylum scandal will get my vote at the next election.
 
 
On 25 Feb 2005 at 8:19pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
When you say 'relatively little' I assume you refer to the benefits system, National Health Service, council housing etc. Not much then.
 
 
On 25 Feb 2005 at 9:32pm northern bigot wrote:
I agree TF, this is an emotive issue, and the government has no idea how many are here.The media portrays them as some highly skilled workforce, when in reality the vast majority of asylum seekers are young men, with no skills whatsoever.
 
 
On 26 Feb 2005 at 7:55am me wrote:
The fact of the matter is that this place in which we live is an island. people are continually complaining about the housing situation and the raping of greenfield sites for housing etc. So what do we do? we open our borders for thousands of people who have no legal right to be here. Fleeing persicution my A**E. TB rates and aids have gone thru the roof because of the imported poverty and yet people are still complaining about the "human rights" of these so called persecuted people because we wan't to test them for such diseases and stop them coming if they are infected. Admittedly there are many contributing factors to the lack of housing, demise of the NHS, rise in taxes etc but i would put money on the importation of misery is the the major factor in our services being at braking point.
 
 
On 26 Feb 2005 at 12:35pm teresa wrote:
Thanks Horrah for PC- my topic seems to have been hi-jacked! I thought I had loads of answers to my question but it seems to be about something totally different now which seems very bad manners to me.
 
 
On 26 Feb 2005 at 1:22pm Teresa Green wrote:
Whats wrong with Surrey? Dont you want to live near your daughter and her partner?
 
 
On 26 Feb 2005 at 1:29pm mother teresa wrote:
I know a good site for dogging, very popular with the middle aged!
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 2:21pm peepee wrote:
What really gets me is we are suppose to adapt to their culture.
Surely if they want to come here they should first learn English then adapt to our way of life.
Any not prepared to do this should never be allowed anywhere near our beloved shores.
English and proud of it.
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 5:47pm Incomer wrote:
My God and there I was thinking that our brave soldiers had fought and died in two World Wars to rid the world of this type of facism and all the time it was alive and well and living in Lewes.
I know now that fox hunting has been banned perhaps you could chase all these "parasites" instead.
English and ashamed of some of my fellow country men (and women)
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 6:07pm Southern Softy wrote:
How do they adapt to our way of life?
Do they have to drink too much, throw up in the street and try to pick a fight with anyone?
Do they have to chase animals and rip them to pieces?
Do they have to mug pensioners to pay for their Crack cocaine?
Whatever they are fleeing from must be pretty bad if they want to come here.
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 7:15pm northern bigot wrote:
Bravo PeePee and me,opinion polls show 80% and above concern amongst the public over asylum. Who mentioned fox hunting?? Too many people posting under more than one name on here! If wanting to maintain our borders and culture and traditions and have immigration controls makes someone an extremist, well the majority of us must be extremists. Why not answer the questions i put earlier? How many democracies has somebody from Iran, China or Algeria travelled through before they have reached the UK? And wouldnt any genuine asylum seeker apply for asylum in the first democracy they entered?
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 7:57pm me wrote:
They have been thru many democracies, but hey we are the land of milk and honey. We have got to be the only dumb country in the world that believes all the sob stories and lets anyone stay. France, germany etc all know this and unofficially aid the throughput. As for The "incomer" our brave soldiers fought in 2 world wars to prevent this country being invaded by foreign enemies. No need we just let them in now. Tell you what lets give them a nice house, how about a car. Oh and please enlighten me what is fascist about protecting your national identity. It is now unofficially rascist to proudly display the Flag of St George or celebrate St georges Day. Frankly when pensioners are( which are probably make up a fair percentage of the brave soldiers ) losing out on much needed medical care because "asylum seekers" are given preferential treatment, then something is going wrong. people are so scared to stand up and be counted about this issue for fear of being branded a rascist. I shall now sit back and wait for the obligatory Slurs e.g rascist, fascist, nazi, little englander etc.
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 8:00pm Incomer wrote:
Not if they were populated by people like you.
I joined this forum as a newcomer to Lewes, however having seen the rascist remarks i regret ever coming to your sad little town.
I therefore say Adios Amigos (whoops sorry that probably upset you proud english folk as well)
Any body want to but a house in Lewes?
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 8:25pm northern bigot wrote:
I see you chose to get personal, rather than answer the questions asked! You will note I havent made any personal remarks as to your motives. Me speaks for many!
 
 
On 27 Feb 2005 at 9:14pm peepee wrote:
Good post ME
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 8:15am Me wrote:
I rest my case. Rascist ? i don't see any rascist comments. An honest debate about this subject is always stifled by the race card. Get down of your soapbox and enter a decent debate instead of trying desperatley to hang on to the moral highground. Just as an personal afterthought eerrrm don't forget to turn out the lights as you leave our "sad little town"
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 9:47am Hurrah for PC wrote:
Peepee: Who said we are 'supposed to adapt to their culture'? No-one has asked me to learn a different language or change my religion. Has this happened to you?
Also where are all these asylum-seekers and refugees in Lewes? I can't see them . . I see alot of young drunk indiginous men throwing up, nicking people's stuff and generally misbehaving . . . Should we be taking their passports off them so they can't bring our country into disrepute abroad?
ME: Give over about the St George cross! Since about Euro 96 time, people have been displaying that freely all over the place. You are a bit out of date on that one.
And there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that any pensioner has had to wait for NHS treatment because an asylum-seeker has jumped the queue. Where is your evidence? Also a hospital would not be asking for evidence of someone's immigration status before treating a person in immediate need of medical treatment. Do you think they should be doing that? And would you include sick children in that?
Frankly I don't understand what is wrong with economic migration. If people want to come here and work for a pittance - as long as they pay taxes and NI like everyone else, why not? Alot of cleaning/hotel etc employment agencies in the UK report the fact that Brits sometimes enquire about work with them but don't turn up and if they do don't stick at it. This was the case in the 40s and 50s when people came from India and Jamaica to our dirty work and is still the case now.
As for genuine asylum-seekers, I hope you lot never have to rely on the kindness of strangers for anything.
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 9:01pm carpet wrote:
I am all in favour of a few non-wasps moving to lewes because the locals are a bit boring. The imigration and aylum seeker position for the uk is both the legacy of british emperialism and currant day imperialism. For example if your country lost the "cold war"you are in. I have just spent thousands on immigration lawers to get my girlfriend here from thailand.
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 9:46pm me wrote:
Why where taxi drivers in kent told to remove St georges from their taxis. ( So as not to offend the immigrant minority ) Many councils have adopted these and other measures. So it is seen as offensive to display your own national flag in your own country. As for pensioners missing out on medical care, it is now fact that the massive increase in Aids in this country is directly linked to the immigrants coming from less afluent nations. They have paid nothing into a health system that we all pay for and yet still get full treatment why? Because of the drain on finaces these people create many people not just pensioners are made to wait for treatment because the local nhs trust cannot afford them When i go to any other country i have to have health insurance as standard. Legal controlled migration which is what it was in the 40 and 50's isn't the issue as our borders were controlled correctly. But the farce that is happening now is detrimental to this countries prosperity and security. There is only so much to go around. As for kindness i think our generosity as a nation is being stretched beyond reasnable bounds. One thing i would like to comment on tho. Whilst not agreeing with his/her stance I would like to commend Hurrah for entering into a debate as opposed to mud slinging and petty slurs that usually follow this issue. This country needs an open an honest debate on the subject because clearly the situation now is not working in anyones favour.
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 9:50pm northern bigot wrote:
You didnt have to go to Thailand surely? What about our English "roses"! True, some of them could do with a little pruning?
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 9:56pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Well said,me.
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 10:18pm chav wrote:
I take it your pig ugly carpet and had to buy the snakes glove
 
 
On 28 Feb 2005 at 10:24pm Albert Speer wrote:
That's what happens with stuff you get of the internet, nothing but trouble.
 
 
On 1 Mar 2005 at 5:18pm peepee wrote:
When I was young we used to collect the Robinsons Golliwogs form their jams and Marmalade now you daren't even say the bloody word what is this place coming to.
 
 
On 1 Mar 2005 at 5:33pm youngun wrote:
When you were young I expect you used to burn witches!
Times have moved on live with it.
 
 
On 1 Mar 2005 at 7:50pm northern bigot wrote:
Censored again!
 
 
On 1 Mar 2005 at 9:33pm Carpet wrote:
I used to collect Golliwogs as well but I didn't know they represented negroes. I thougt they were a kind of teddy. When I found out I was horrified and wanted them banned.
Around the same era, my mother told me that black people prefered to be refered to as black not coloured. I accepted this readily. This was in the 60's and it was not called political correctness.
 
 
On 2 Mar 2005 at 6:03pm peepee wrote:
Enoch Powell had the right idea when you was young.
Proved right I belive.
 
 
On 2 Mar 2005 at 7:05pm carpet wrote:
sorry chav, what is a snakes glove?
 
 
On 2 Mar 2005 at 7:25pm carpet wrote:
And now we are on your website.
 
 
On 2 Mar 2005 at 9:57pm Joachim Pipper wrote:
Did you get her from imakeyouveryhappymister.com?
 
 
On 2 Mar 2005 at 10:50pm chav wrote:
Whats a snakes glove...hahaha. next your be telling me it was love at first sight. Or was it love at cheapest picture?
 
 
On 2 Mar 2005 at 11:31pm carpet wrote:
love at first sight actually. I was on holiday in ko samet. But what is a snakes glove?
 
 
On 4 Mar 2005 at 12:55pm chav wrote:
Dear oh dear Mr. naieve.Its a very cheap glove but not for the hand.
 
 
On 4 Mar 2005 at 1:14pm The Reverend wrote:
so Teresa... still wanna move to lewes?! hahaha
 
 
On 5 Mar 2005 at 3:20pm Carpet wrote:
Oh how naieve of me.
Let me get this steaight. You are referring to the Woman, who is now my wife and mother to my Daughter, as a cheap glove for my ....Just because she is from Thailand. How ignorant of you Chav. I really pity you Chav but it is never too late to educate yourself.
 
 
On 5 Mar 2005 at 7:12pm paex wrote:
Carpet on behalf of the few Lewes people who abhor comments such as those made by Chav I would like to apologise. I thought that we had moved on and in most of the world I think we have but it is a sad fact that a large proportion of the folk of Lewes are beyond help. They are a sad, insular type who are afraid of the outside world and wish to carry on living in the 17th century.
 
 
On 5 Mar 2005 at 8:22pm peepee wrote:
not true what we dont want is a load of spongers coming into our country.
 
 
On 5 Mar 2005 at 10:49pm carpet wrote:
Spongers move in to England,that is true. But English spongers leave. I don't spend all my time in Lewes so I have got to meet a great many immigrants from other countries. In general these people are hard working non spongery. They often have been brought up in harsher conditions with,for example no welfare state. Surely the net effect is that more spongers leave than arrive.
 
 
On 6 Mar 2005 at 8:06am chav wrote:
has she dropped this one on you yet? My family are very poor and need some money, can you send them some, I make you very happy sir.
 
 
On 6 Mar 2005 at 9:17am peepee wrote:
cant agree I travel around in my new job and in a lot of cities now spongery is crippling the local econmies.
Whats worse is they have set up no go areas where the local residents now fear to go.
What I ask is this country coming to?
 
 
On 6 Mar 2005 at 10:09am Janet street preacher wrote:
Was your mothers rejection very hard for you? How does it make you feel now when you think of her?
 
 
On 6 Mar 2005 at 10:21pm carpet wrote:
These spongers are an important part of the economy.
Even when unemployment peeked during the Thatcher era, the economy was not crippled.
Even if the asylm seeker lives in a cheap B&B, what do they have to show for it? A crap room with all the rent money going to a private landlord.
In 1980 I knew a man in Brighton earning around 20,000 a week. He was a landlord(now Desceased). He owned 100 properties in Brighton, Surrey & London. He only rented to the unemployed.
Just think 20,000 a week of benefit money going to one man.
 
 
On 7 Mar 2005 at 3:41pm Chav wrote:
You should know Janet, you are her.
 
 
On 7 Mar 2005 at 4:31pm peepee wrote:
yeah and its our money paying for these little bas**rds to have somewhere to live send all the buggers back to where they came from.
 
 
On 7 Mar 2005 at 8:16pm abdul wrote:
peepee you really are a nasty piece of work.
I hope you are never in need of any help.
I expect your money comes in the form of a dole cheque anyway.
 
 
On 8 Mar 2005 at 6:10pm peepee wrote:
I pay far more tax than I should be because of those parasites.
I have never had a dole cheque in my life for your information.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Lewes Portal 74:132
Lewes Portal

There is not so much of a housing shortage; more a case of not enough households for preferred lifestyles. In the past, single... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington