Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

march against the cuts this saturday

 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 5:19am belladonna wrote:
Anyone travelling up to the march from Lewes ? When and where you meeting ?
 
1
On 22 Mar 2011 at 9:32am expat two wrote:
another opportunity for the police to brutalise and murder those who dare to defy authority
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 10:03am Off-Message wrote:
And another opportunity for state dependents to use the mob and the placard to persuade the rest of us to dig deeper to support their 'rights'.
1
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 11:47am Newmania wrote:
Brutalise and murder ...ha ha ha ha , as if . Arab marchers are not a bunch of youths whining that they don`t get enough of other people`s money or idle teachers for whom a £750,000 pension pot paid for by us is insufficient .
They are fighting for political accountability and Liberty and risk torture incarceration and death.
Just keep marching and don`t stop at the sea.We`ll manage .
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 12:40pm Expat 2 wrote:
A disabled MS sufferer repeatedly dragged out of his wheelchair...
A by-standing news vendor is killed...
Ha ha ha ha indeed.
Admittedly some protestors deserve a bit of police brutality, all those Countryside Alliance marchers and their rent-a-mob scum certainly did..eh?

 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 12:43pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Just do what you feel you need to do. Then come back and work out how were going to pay for it. Including the unnecessary police overtime we've just had to fork out for.
1
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 1:40pm PC Plod wrote:
Ranks of tooled up Policemen bashing smelly groups of hippies always brings a tear of happiness to my eye.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 3:11pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Well Plod, since they shut all your sports and social clubs, you haven't had anywhere to vent your spleen as such.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 3:14pm Newmania wrote:
Dunno I rather agree with ex-pat 2 .The Police do a woeful job with superfluous overpaid people who stand around doing nothing for the most part, never get fired; and retire early on a golden pension.
Oddly this is also true of the people they will be incompetently policing .
Coincidence probably
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 4:11pm bastian wrote:
Belladonna,These people are are jaded by their own beliefs,of course you should protest,at the end of the day they are the people who will not notice their rights have been taken away until they have need of them and by then their rights to sick pay,holiday pay,a pension and a decent standard of living will have been eroded,at least you will have tried to be heard.They have absolutely no respect for any public sector worker and yet the moment they need an ambulence they will be desperate for a state worker to pick them up and mend them...however if this is not the case and they are paying for a private ambulence then it proves that they are rich and have no interest in the general public who cannot imagine the luxury of private care,they have ,in a phrase,bought their way out of the state....ask yourself this...if we live in a modern,fair society why do we still need a social state?
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 4:24pm MC wrote:
I've attended all sorts of protests and not one of them ever changed anything. Even the largest protest march in UK history, (possibly attended by over 1 million people) achieved diddly squat.

All failed:
* CND
* Poll tax
* Miners
* Stop the City
* Anti Globalisation
* Iraq war

A bit depressing really. Makes you feel like having a good riot instead.
1
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 4:26pm not from around here wrote:
Exactly WHAT are you protesting about again - can you remind us? Is there something specific or are you all just selfishly protesting about anything and everything that affects your particular gravy-train?
What exactly will be achieved by the protests apart from costing a shed-load to police?
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 6:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm going to protest about the cuts that will be damaging to public services that the poor and vulnerable depend upon and lead to job losses on a sufficiently large scale to risk the chances of economic recovery.
I'm not travelling up from Lewes though, Belladonna, I'm staying with a friend in Surrey on Friday night.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 6:33pm drone wrote:
Lewes Stop The Cuts will be meeting at Lewes BR station at 09.00 to get the 09.30 to London.Unison is running a free coach from Lewes. Phone the Unison office on 01435 865215 for further details.
1
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 8:32pm Mungo wrote:
Whilst your all walking round London on your Jolly this Saturday remember one thing. The reason the cuts are being implemented is because of 13years mismanagement of the country's finances. You can blame the banks but the Labour party had it in their remit to stop all the risks the banks were taking and did absolutely nothing.
In 97 the Labour party inherited an immaculate economy , open your eyes and look at the figures that the coalition adopted.
The other day I sore a sticker on a wall , it read "Follow Unite ( as in the union)DON'T LET THEM BREAK BRITAIN" Well I've got news for you Pinkie Britain is all ready broken and has been for many years.
When your marching on Saturday the silent majority will be looking at you and thinking that it is because of people like you that this country is in the mess that it's in.
DON'T BLAME THE MESSENGER!
1
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 9:01pm Newmania wrote:
Spot on Mungo in fact I am pleased to see that I am far from the only one who despises these selfish kidults who would rather sink the country than share the crap the rest of us are obliged to put up with.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 10:07pm MC wrote:
Tell that to the bankers and the financiers Newmania. They don't seem to be putting up with any crap at all. Far from it. Bonuses seem very healthy. You have been suckered. The rich are getting considerably richer and the poor (and the lower middle) are taking the crap. And you and your blinkered ilk are still defending the status quo. I have a horrible feeling that even when you loose your poor commuter job and find youself marooned in small-town Lewes with no support you'll still be there defending your right to be bottom of the pile and shat on by the inherited and the privileged.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 10:28pm Burm em! wrote:
Oh dear Mungo and Newmania, surely you haven't fallen for that tired old line the Tories are still pedalling. Blame it on Labour blah blah blah ... when in fact the Tories would have granted the banks even more freedom to screw us all and bring the world economy crashing down around their greedy ears.
It's the bankers what done it - as any fool,knows.
Best of luck to all those protesting on Saturday. Let's show them we aren't all as gullible as Bungo and Newmaniac.
It's the "silent majority", Mungo, who let the Tories get away with it - screwing most of us while they and their cronies get richer and richer.
Wake up - they're laughing at us!
 
 
On 22 Mar 2011 at 11:28pm Lambo wrote:
Newmania, you really are an arse. What useful purpose to society do you serve?
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 2:04am expat two wrote:
The extraordinarily misleading argument is that Labour, being responsible for the meltdown (agreed) is somehow a vindication of right of center politics. Labour are a right of center political party. Did the Conservatives ever object to loosening control of the banks? No, they supported it wholeheartedly. Would they have done the same? Probably even more.
Was Blair a Thatcherite? Well, maybe his claim that she was one of the greatest statesmen of the century might be a clue.
I struggle to think of a single Labour policy during their entire tenure that can be seen as even vaguely left-of-center. Seriously, I could use some help here.


 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 6:39am MC wrote:
They banned fox hunting. ;->
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 8:13am Tags Armpit wrote:
Belladonna, Annette Curtin-twitcher etc. What is your credible alternate strategy to rid the country of its debt?
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 8:25am Vesbod wrote:
Well, I'll be in the garden if anyone needs me.......
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 9:33am expat two wrote:
Tags; the richest 10% of the country owns 50% of its wealth. A 5% hike in income tax for those would wipe out the debt in a year.
You think its preferable that the poorer end of the economy cover the debt?
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 9:59am Tags Armpit wrote:
expat two; are you sure? Can you show us your sums?
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 10:34am MC wrote:
A study produced in 2007 called "Poverty, Wealth and Place in Britain, 1968 to 2005" found that during this period, the personal wealth held by the richest 1% of the population grew as a proportion of national share, rising from 17% in 1991 to 24% in 2002.
You can bet your life that the rate of increase will have escalated during the past decade.
A link to an article about the study has been included below.

We are being taken for fools by the landed etatblishment elite operating through their visible political face the Tory government (especially exposed in the present cabinet). We are not expected to question the status quo... after all it's always been like this hasn't it?

Wake up fools. The deck is stacked. While the few continue to gain to a monstrous degree, the vast majority are now expected to pay with misery and poverty.. and with little chance of ever escaping this trap.

Check it out here »
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 11:21am 'ere be monsters wrote:
MC you say this situation has escalated over the last decade. Then go on and say "We are being taken for fools by the landed etatblishment elite operating through their visible political face the Tory government". Unless I've got it wrong, Labour have been in charge for the last decade and there isn't a Tory Government in at the moment. It amazes me that obviously intelligent people still bang on about Tory this and Labour that. It's all the same, there is not difference. It's a good job there are people that can provide wealth and jobs for the country. Overtax them and they won't be over here, they'll sod off with their wealth and not pay any tax.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 11:32am sashimi wrote:
In the general election last year all three major parties proposed tackling the deficit which meant cuts. Labour and the Lib Dems wanted to halve the deficit in four years, the Tories to eliminate it entirely during the Parliament. So, there was no difference in strategy, only on tactics - on timing and scale. Meanwhile under all their plans, the National Debt continues to rise. So if the March Against the Cuts is against ANY cuts, it's just ludicrous. We can't go on adding £160bn each year to the National Debt until all our taxes go on paying interest - which is where Greece are now. If, the March is against some specific cuts that are daft or counterproductive, let's hear the arguments.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 11:38am Hoist wrote:
No one said that this was a march in favour of labour.
Tax those who can afford it. We are being taken for mugs.
I wish the investment bankers would f off- but they won't.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 11:50am not from around here wrote:
Mungo & Newmania speak for the vast (mostly silent) majority. As Sashimi said, if there are specific cuts you are protesting about and you have specific alternatives (apart from the primary school politics of 'tax all the rich') then lets hear them.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 11:57am expat two wrote:
Can anyone explain how Cameron's latest concessions to banks will help the economy? Buggered if I can.
hxxp://thetruthiswhere.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/to-us-its-an-obscure-shift-of-tax-law/
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 12:35pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Hoist, who would you put in their place?
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 12:47pm Tags Armpit wrote:
expat two; The banking industry contributes something in the region of £50bn per annum to the UK economy and employs in excess of 400,000 staff. That is no small contribution.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 1:29pm Clifford wrote:
MC wrote: 'I've attended all sorts of protests and not one of them ever changed anything. Even the largest protest march in UK history, (possibly attended by over 1 million people) achieved diddly squat.
'All failed:... * Poll tax'
Poll Tax Riot failed eh? Not only did it get rid of the poll tax, it persuaded Tory MPs they'd be better off without Thatcher as well.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 1:31pm Clifford wrote:
not from around here wrote: 'Mungo & Newmania speak for the vast (mostly silent) majority.'

If they're 'silent' how do you know what they think? I think you mean 'Mungo & Newmania speak for me'.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 1:33pm not from around here wrote:
The poll tax was renamed council tax (I believe it's also been called community charge) and we still have it today. What you pay now is essentially the same as the poll tax.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 1:39pm not from around here wrote:
Mungo and Newmania are speaking for themselves but what they say will chime with the majority including me.
People are extremely unlikely to protest because they agree with something don't you think?
Most people (or the majority) don't protest because in principle they agree that cuts need to be made (whoever is to blame is irrelevant) and so we can safely assume that as only a microscopically small proportion of the population protest that they are indeed in a minority. In fact that's what really winds guys like you up is the fact that no matter how many windows are broken, that most people simply don't agree with you.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 1:59pm Hoist wrote:
What is wrong with taxing the rich? It seems to be a better idea than penalising the poor - which is what we are seeing at the moment.
Wake up - Cameron and his mates are laughing at people like you.
The investment banks got us into this mess - why aren't they picking up the tab?
Because people like you are mugs and they can get away with it.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 2:05pm Hoist wrote:
Please bear with me if I can't respond to your points straight away- My access to this website is shonky to say the least and I get sick of typing the same thing over and over.
If you have to have investment bankers - they need proper regulation - and believe me - they don't have this at the moment. I know because I used to work in regulation and things have only got worse from a very, very bad starting point.
Go and see the film Inside Job for a little glimpse of what really goes on.
Expat 2 - very interesting link. Thanks
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 2:12pm Clifford wrote:
not from around here wrote: 'The poll tax was renamed council tax (I believe it's also been called community charge) and we still have it today. What you pay now is essentially the same as the poll tax.'

Is it really? Did the poll tax have bandings based on property values?

not from around here wrote: 'Most people (or the majority) don't protest because in principle they agree that cuts need to be made...'

'Most people' don't protest full stop. I assume you think most people in Egypt wee satisfied with the government there and most people in Libya are satisfied with Gaddafi. After all, as you say, 'we can safely assume that as only a microscopically small proportion of the population protest that they are indeed in a minority..
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 2:49pm not from around here wrote:
Clifford I just knew you would make that sort of stupid comparison with Libya, Egypt etc - thanks for confirming it!
Oppressed populations don't protest because they are in fear of their lives you fool! Not because they 'agree' with being oppressed! How daft can you get to even make that comparison.
People in Libya are protesting for basic freedoms whereas people protesting against cuts here just want to have things a little more comfortable for themselves at the expense of others (taxpayers like me) - not quite the same really is it?
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 2:59pm not from around here wrote:
Hoist there is nothing wrong with taxing the rich - we already do so at a higher rate than I (and presumably you) are taxed. What is self-defeating is to propose massive tax increases on the super rich because (as has been pointed-out by others) they will simply go elsewhere and we lose ALL of their tax revenue gaining the country nothing.
If we have a society that punishes people for achieving financial success we will all suffer as the incentive to 'achieve' is removed and less business and wealth is generated.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2011 at 3:42pm sashimi wrote:
not from around here was clearly not around here when we had the poll tax. Rates and Council tax are property taxes, the poll tax (euphemisticly called Community Charge) was a flat rate head tax raised on every individual over 18. It was unpopular, unfair and uncollectable especailly from 18-25 year olds because they don't live in one place all the time. With a property tax at least you know where all the properties are and the owners have the means of paying - but it's also very unpopular and may be unfair.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Bill Lewes 10:132
Bill Lewes

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde