Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

mail

On 9 Jan 2010 at 10:41am old timer wrote:
What happened to the saying "the mail must get through"? Not seen any post since Tuesday.Dustman yes postman no!

On 9 Jan 2010 at 11:18am Jerry wrote:
Im sure if we are able to walk around to get to our necessary destinations, I'm sure postie can.
Before you argue that they have to carry the bag around.... Paper boy has been round every day since the snow began im sure they are just as heavy if not heavier.
The main roads are clear enough in the morning for the posties to be dropped outside the main estates and then they can do the rounds and be picked up after.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 1:15pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
No post, no dustman, no recycling, no grit.
"Seaford"... the kinda town where nothing happens.
PhilX

On 9 Jan 2010 at 1:44pm old timer wrote:
years ago before the internet etc,there were two deliveries daily. The volume of post was huge. No trolleys then for the post,postie carried a huge sack. Whatever the weather the post arrived. We are turning into a nation of wimps!

On 9 Jan 2010 at 2:42pm Sherlock wrote:
I'm wondering whose idea it is not to deliver - the posties or the managements? My money is on the managers.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 2:55pm Bored housewife wrote:
Ah nothing wrong with a bulging sack...

On 9 Jan 2010 at 3:24pm Interested. wrote:
When you think about the amount of online shopping there is these days,I'm not surprised that we get postal strikes...I'm sure I read somewhere that there has been a 6 fold increase in parcel deliveries over the past 5 years.
And as for delivering in this inclement weather...Health and safety surely?

On 9 Jan 2010 at 6:04pm L of L wrote:
I was waiting for some post and went to the sorting office on Friday on the off-chance I could pick it up. The very nice man at the counter went out of his way to go and find my post. If you're desperate for something, talk nicely to the guys at the sorting office and they may be able to help.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 7:11pm E Bayer wrote:
Where exactly is the sorting office L of L?
I tried finding their phone number when the Post Office was shut in the vain hope I could somehow post my parcels.Couldn't find sorting office or Post Office numbers.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 11:47pm Me Us Whoever wrote:
Bored housewife "Ah nothing wrong with a bulging sack..."
A bulging sack would get delivered to quickly with nothing left for the second post ! lol
Not seen posties or dusties since xmas

On 10 Jan 2010 at 12:19am Brixtonbelle wrote:
Is the sorting office where you collect your parcels - on Brooks road on the way to Malling - just keep going past Tesco Homebase etc, tunr left at mini r'bout and its right in front of you.

On 10 Jan 2010 at 12:23am country boy wrote:
Rodmell, 3.5miles south of Lewes.
No post, no bins, no gritting, no buses, no car, no shops, no chemist, no gas( never had it anyway, even though the pipeline is 500m from the village!), no street lamps.
So what do we get for council tax?
I was shrewd enough to do an internet shop on Tuesday, before the snow, for delivery on Tuesday arvo - and they turned up right on time!
Lucky to have the pub, Abergavenny Arms, open again now too and selling Harvey's.
The milkman delivered on Weds and Frid - thanks Mick.
Come down and see the lovely snow covered downs and run the Rodmell luge and piste, and then to the hostelry for after piste!

On 10 Jan 2010 at 7:31pm L of L wrote:
Brixtonbelle's right - the sorting office is on Brooks Road where you collect your parcels..good luck!

On 11 Jan 2010 at 12:29am Dog In A Cape. wrote:
I went to Lewes sorting office and got my mail my self, but they said I'd have to wait for any parcel as it was choker block in there and they haven't had the time to clear it.. I haven't seen a post person for over a week, so what have the been doing all day?
Bit of snow and every thing stops, nobody can make it to work, but everyone can make it to Tesco's it was absolutely ram packed on Saturday... funny that!

On 11 Jan 2010 at 10:27am country girl wrote:
Being a country girl of a "certain age", it makes me cross that we haven't seen a postman for nearly a week even though I myself like many others, have made it out to do my job every day (when I am supposed to be a retired person) and the roads here have not been very clever as with most other places. I am waiting for an item of mail which contains medication for my poorly dog and should have arrived early last week. Now I know others have collected their own mail from the sorting office, I shall get in my car and drive the 6 miles there and 6 miles back to do the same but I shouldn't have to. As a child I can remember the postman trudging up the garden path in the snow on Christmas Day!!!!

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

What’s the connection between this murder and a night shelter? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams