Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

lewes beggers

On 23 Sep 2016 at 1:17pm citizen fish wrote:
I know all the lewes beggers personally,have done for years.None are home less,some have lived in lewes for years and some have come from other towns like Hastings where they dont put up with it,I find it amazing that Lewes does,The are all begging for drug money,its easier to get smack in lewes than than it is in Brighton.Jade the girl that begs outside nationwide has a lovley mother who would put her up if she didnt keep robbing her,dont fall for it, they all get sick money and DLA,a,and a few have council flats..Lewes police should stamp it out...i dont know why they dont...........
On 23 Sep 2016 at 1:27pm leaf wrote:
Because the police don't have the staff thanks to te conservative party that cut their budget. The PCSOs used to deal with all this sort of thing but they are practically gone now too.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 1:33pm Jennifer wrote:
I agree. The beggars are absolutely vile and we live in a sweet little town where our hard work and the money we all pay to live here should protect people from them. This is deliberately not a cheap place to own a house and people should be rewarded for having come here, not subject to demands from filth. Like we did in London, get a public space protection order and have them all just cleared up or locked up. Being approached by a beggar is just embarrassing and offensive.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 1:43pm Juniper wrote:
LOL get over it.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 3:00pm Pedant wrote:
Do you misspell beggars on purpose?
On 23 Sep 2016 at 4:26pm Cat Lover wrote:
If you take the time to get to know these people (I don't use the word beggar) they are lovely. We are all human and need to be compassionate to each other. I often give them money and let them use my shower at home, I've never been robbed. They are so appreciative for any help. Please see them with different eyes.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 6:58pm Herman wrote:
You get more of what you reward. Trouble is more and more people become economically unviable each year due to the decline in value of unskilled labour. I wouldn't mind the beggars if they were more interesting but they are a rather dull bunch in Lewes. Nostalgia for the roaming tramps of yore is coming over me.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 10:36pm Meldrew wrote:
The last ime saw real beggars, mother and child, was on the streets of Dublin in 1976. It was like a time warp.I can't make out why anyone spends all day sitting on a pavement in Lewes reading a book waiting for a handout. It's your life going down the pan. Cycling gives a bit of an insight into the regulars. The boozers are outside the Courts and the down-and-outs on the other side. I don't understand where it all goes wrong.
On 24 Sep 2016 at 6:23am Disgusted wrote:
The best way to deal with these leeches is to run them out of town, If they stood on their own two feet instead of sitting on the arses they might just get somewhere in life. and just remember your misguided handout simply feeds a drink or drug habit, thus putting off the day when these individuals will face up to their realities.
On 24 Sep 2016 at 8:16am Rosalyn St Pierre wrote:
Yesterday at the Crime Police Panel (a committe of councillors from all E & W Sussex ) Katy Bourne Sussex Police Commissioner was asked about police response to begging and street drinking. Normally beggars are homeless and charities, individuals and social workers can help, but as others have commented some of the regular Lewes street people have accommodation . Then there is another group of (usually) older street drinkers. They can be moved on by the police and following a crackdown in Hastings and Eastbourne may have turned up here. There is support and help if they want it. Like others, I have seen both groups cross the street to the off licence. If the customer is obviously drunk, then the business serving them booze could lose its licence.
I am sorry for both groups, but it would seem their lifestyle is their choice. If they just sit reading books or even playing pretty bad music, I personally would let them get on with it. But if they hassle for money, lurk near cash points or are abusive, lying across pavements etc., then the police can move them on. There is help for homeless and addicts.
On 24 Sep 2016 at 1:06pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
There may be help for the homeless and addicts, but help for the former is very limited and help for the latter has a long waiting list.
The category of people there is no help for is those who have had their benefits sanctioned, who can't pay their rent because of cuts to housing benefit and the benefit cap, or are simply unable to manage their own affairs because f they lack the skills to do so (often because of mild learning disability or poor mental health).
Advice and support services are stretched to breaking point. Adult social care now only funds support for people in the gravest need and mental health services are woefully inadequate.
Things will only get worse and clamping down on beggars is only addressing the symptom, not the cause. To cure a social problem you have to deal with the cause.
On 24 Sep 2016 at 8:01pm Crash Override wrote:
Walked in on three of them yesterday in the loos by the Lansdown - sitting in the middle of the floor cooking heroin! Did my business and left them to it!
On 25 Sep 2016 at 12:33pm Biggles is back wrote:
Fill their pockets with "rocks" and push them off cliffe bridge.Simples
On 25 Sep 2016 at 11:07pm Historian wrote:
Nice of Ros to post, but she doesn't say what they are actually going to do about them !! Hassle them back to Easbourne and Brighton ?
On 26 Sep 2016 at 1:49pm Was Jennifer wrote:
Has anyone contacted Maria Caulfield about it?

On 28 Sep 2016 at 8:45am Gregory wrote:
Sunday afternoon, witnessed six scroungers,all in the precinct. Why did we ever create that godforsaken precinct. It is becoming like the benched area opposite the Theatre in Brighton!

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Bottleneck 113:132
The Bottleneck

So why no surge in cases in Brighton, or in most other parts of Sussex? And don't regurgitate that rubbish about the Swedes, and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell