Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

lewes races

On 4 Jul 2004 at 9:10pm northern bigot wrote:
Lewes racecourse, at one time it was hoped it would become a rival to Epsom, saw its last race in 1964, anyone remember it?
On 5 Jul 2004 at 3:08am The Reverend wrote:
nope im abit to young for that. sure my folks would remember. what was the reason for it closing down?
On 5 Jul 2004 at 5:51pm sleeping lion wrote:
I rember it well,rember the old bookie where you could bet a tanner(2.5p).Good day out was had by all.
On 5 Jul 2004 at 7:07pm northern bigot wrote:
The gate receipts from the punters didnt cover the prize money, this meant no money either to update, improve or maintain course. The only thing stopping most of todays courses folding is the levy subsidy , paid by off course punters via the betting shops.
On 5 Jul 2004 at 8:43pm The Reverend wrote:
i take it there is no chance of Lewes races coming back then
On 8 Aug 2004 at 4:26pm Jim Vennell wrote:
Growing up in Lewes in the 40s. and 50s, Lewes races were a vibrant attraction, Sir Gordon Richards regularly rode at the event, as, did Lester Piggott.
The crowds were large, I only remember a shilling minimum bet, which could be considered a large amount for a wager.
We developed a soccer pitch on adjacent land, and played in the Lewes leagues. It is a shame that the course is closed, but, towards the end, it did little to attract visitors.
On 14 Sep 2004 at 8:25am Stuart Edwards wrote:
Does anybody know the above? I believe he used to be a top trainer at Plumpton. But,I understand that he now lives near, and maybe has something to do with Lewes racecourse.
S,Edwards
On 5 Nov 2008 at 2:15pm brian french wrote:
yes i remember john he used to train a horse called manhattan boy it was ridden by his daughter penny he used organise concerts for eldon john. he retired to spain his mate was freddy nash who was associated with the krays he used to drink in the windmill pub with another lewes trainer called mick masson he was very knowledgeable about racing his orther good horse was called thurn for the better.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Swans in the pool 85:132
Lewes Swans in the pool

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul