Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

MP resigns

On Tue 10 Jul at 5:08pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Maria Caulfield is the latest Brexiteer to resign from a position in the party.

Check it out here »
On Tue 10 Jul at 5:21pm Norman fan wrote:
Damn! I thought she'd quit as our MP.
On Tue 10 Jul at 5:34pm Remainer wrote:
What a silly thing to do. I certainly shan't be voting for her again. Doesn't she realise how important it is that we should have access to eastern Europe for labour? My husband certainly finds them good workers in his hospitality business and I find they are very helpful as cleaners and nannies. They are always very grateful for work, unlike Brits.
On Tue 10 Jul at 5:35pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Like other Brexiteers following the wishes of the people since the referendum, our hard working MP has quite rightly decided that she cannot continue supporting the farce of the increasingly watered down exit from the clutches of the EU.
I for one fully support Maria and others who are prepared to fulfil the democratic wishes of the British people to once again be an independent nation trading with who we wish.
And I am sorry to hear of the death of Lord Carrington. RIP.
On Tue 10 Jul at 5:40pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Sorry, Norman. Please accept my apologies for inadvertently getting your hopes up.
Our MP needs to remember that the constituency voted to remain.
On Tue 10 Jul at 6:12pm Brussels Spout wrote:
Yes, what the heck is she talking about. Lewes voted Remain. She should quit altogether
On Tue 10 Jul at 6:15pm Dexter wrote:
Sadly even ineffectual MP Caulfied isn't half as mendacious as her co-resignee Ben Bradley.
Ladies & gentleman, here's an excerpt from Wikipedia for a the upstanding Conservative, Ben Bradley.
In February 2018, Bradley falsely accused Jeremy Corbyn on Twitter of having "sold British secrets to communist spies" during the 1980s. Corbyn responded by instructing his solicitors to require Bradley to delete his tweet or face legal action on the grounds of libel. Bradley deleted the tweet following this legal complaint from Corbyn. He subsequently issued a full apology, agreed to make a substantial donation to a charity of Corbyn's choice and agreed to pay Corbyn's legal costs. A spokesman for Corbyn stated that the donation would be split between a homeless charity and a foodbank in Bradley’s constituency of Mansfield. It was subsequently revealed that two Conservative Party donors had paid the £15,000 donation to the charities for Bradley. The apologetic post that Bradley made on twitter became the most-shared tweet ever made by a Conservative MP and was shared more times than all the tweets by the official Conservative Party twitter feed in the previous 3 months.
In June 2018 it was alleged that in 2016 Bradley had threatened a journalist from The Hucknall Dispatch that his party would stop cooperating with the local newspaper if they ran a story concerning a local Conservative councillor, who had shared online posts mocking Muslims and disabled benefits claimants in November 2016. Bradley defended the councillor, who was suspended in June 2018 following an investigation, and after a further news article was published.
On Tue 10 Jul at 6:21pm Remainer wrote:
Dexter, thank you for that post informing us what a terrible man Bradley is. As we know, Brexiters are not the brightest of people. I understand few of them have a university degree. Many of them have unpleasant manners. I still can't understand why they were given an opportunity to express their vile opinions in a referendum in the first place. all the best people support the EU.
On Tue 10 Jul at 6:33pm Brussels Spout wrote:
So, Remainer, you're a minor satirist and a Leave voter. Good for you, but 52 per cent of people in Caulfield's constituency voted Remain. She's talking drivel and hopefully she'll be cast into oblivion with the rest of Boris's merry band
On Tue 10 Jul at 6:48pm Jacob Rees-Smug, Esq. wrote:
And frankly, she's rather common too.
On Tue 10 Jul at 6:49pm Bob wrote:
Funny how all the Brexiters are resigning as they realise what they promised is impossible to deliver. Imagine if we had an MP working in the interests of the country based on evidence not opinion. Or if we had an actual opposition locally or nationally.
On Tue 10 Jul at 7:02pm Gerty wrote:
According to the Daily Mail a leaked WhatsApp message from Maria complained that overnight Brexiters have been turned into the enemy. How desperately out of touch with mainstream opinion is she? It's not overnight, it's since the morning after the referendum when Farage went on TV and said the money for the NHS wasn't actually true and Grimsby and Cornwall asked for special dispensation to avoid Brexit because they realised the damage of why they'd voted for.

Also, note to Maria... That Brexit bill you voted for that means government can make laws without Parliamentary review? Imagine what Corbyn is going to do with that when he gets power. I don't think the Tories will ever be forgiven.
On Tue 10 Jul at 8:03pm Heard it all wrote:
She will just kiss the biggest backside she can find to promote herself. No one really cares about her apart from fox hunting chavs. the real concern in all this is that Hunt is foreign secretary! He has just stripped the NHS bare and gets a promotion. A true evil greedy tory.
On Tue 10 Jul at 8:37pm Local wrote:
Yes. Horrible. Greedy. Evil. I'm outraged. And very very important as a result.
'Kin hell.
On Tue 10 Jul at 9:00pm Remainer wrote:
Yes I agree with you Brussels Spout, the good people of Lewes voted Remain, largely the people the ignorant call DFLs, well educated people, wealth creators. But I'm talking about the not so bright ones who voted Leave, the bonfire sort of people.
On Tue 10 Jul at 9:32pm Border Control wrote:
She is not the only one who has gone against their constituency EU referendum results, many decided they knew best and are staunch remainers. However Sussex overall voted leave, albeit by a narrow majority, so get over it. FFS

Check it out here »
On Tue 10 Jul at 9:56pm Heavens Sake wrote:
I don't give a sh!t about any of it. So SHUT UP.
On Tue 10 Jul at 10:04pm No principles wrote:
Maria Caulfied. Prepared to resign over Brexit but not prepared to condemn Transport Minister over Southern Rail fiasco. Not prepared to vote against cuts to local government funding despite saying she was against them. Not prepared to vote against a wage cap for nurses despite saying she was against that too. Careerist politician looking for her next job and supporting whoever she thinks will get her the best job. Please can Labour start to be an opposition?
On Tue 10 Jul at 11:13pm Observer wrote:
No doubt she's resigned to finish off the detailed plan for leaving the EU that's she's been working on with the other brexiteers for the past two years.
Oh wait a minute... They don't have one. They like carping and moaning from the sidelines and leaving the actual detailed business of leaving to everyone else.
On Wed 11 Jul at 10:36am A Person wrote:
The problem for all Brexiteers is bluntly that what they promised in the referendum campaign is completely undeliverable. So they can't do the "detailed business" because the more detail they uncover the more undeliverable it becomes.
All of which *might* make you think that (a) it would have been a good idea not lie their heads off during the campaign and (b) it would have been a good idea to do some basic planning before even announcing the referendum, let alone actually going through with it. But what do I know...
On Wed 11 Jul at 11:34am Clifford wrote:
A Person, you say basic planning on the detail of leaving the EU should have been undertaken. You are quite right. The problem is, however that the Tory government that called the referendum, and the civil service that worked for them, was so certain that the result would be the one they wanted - Remain - that they arrogantly refrained from making any preparations. We then moved into a situation in which a Remain-led government in a Remain House of Commons, served by a Remain civil service, has to go through the charade of leaving, determined at all costs that we should be as close to staying in the EU as possible.
On Wed 11 Jul at 2:31pm A Person wrote:
That's not what I heard. What I heard was that the civil service was expressly forbidden from formulating any plans for Brexit before the vote.

I knew what the problems were likely to be, because I'd done a fair amount of research and gone to several meetings - including one here in Lewes led by David Allen Green which documented *all* the huge hurdles which had been comprehensively ignored beforehand. The biggest, and the one which has so far proven insoluble, is how to create a frictionless border with the Republic of Ireland when the entire Good Friday Agreement is based on common membership of the EU. May fudged this back in the autumn but no-one believes it can be resolved with there being either a hard border between the Republic and NI or between NI and the rest of the UK. It seems that no-one in the government had given this a moment's thought.

I think that leaving the EU is a tragic mistake for a small island dealing mostly in service industries, and which remains hugely integrated into European manufacturing systems. I don't think leaving will make us any less vulnerable to the depredations of the multinationals (the opposite in fact). And I think leaving without a deal will be a nightmare.

On Wed 11 Jul at 3:28pm A Person wrote:
And you'll find confirmation of that in the report of the Public Administration select committee papers.

"However, unlike in 1975, the Government’s official position during the 2016 EU referendum was that there would be no contingency planning, the only exception being planning within the Treasury to anticipate the likely impact of a Leave vote on the UK’s financial stability.

The Government’s refusal to undertake contingency planning has been the subject of criticism, both before and after the referendum. In April 2016, the Foreign Affairs Committee’s report Implications of the referendum on EU membership for the UK’s role in the world bemoaned the “regrettable” lack of contingency planning by the Government.

Their post-referendum report, Equipping the Government for Brexit was particularly critical of the Government’s approach to contingency planning."
Nowt to do with civil servants plotting then. I still don't understand why you wouldn't do even the most basic planning, however confident you are of winning.
On Wed 11 Jul at 4:02pm Clifford wrote:
A Person, I take what you say about the civil service - if they were ordered to make no preparations, that is unforgiveable. I also take what you say about the Tory government doing no planning in 2016, despite their confidence they would win. All I'd do is change that word to 'arrogance'.

On Wed 11 Jul at 4:25pm Ghost of Maggie wrote:
Just rejoice and be thankful for .......................Tory arrogance.
On Wed 11 Jul at 5:44pm Clifford wrote:
Ghost of Maggie, I suppose you've forgotten this:

'In 1988 the then Prime Minister Thatcher gave a powerful speech in the same London venue in favour of barrier-free access to the European single market. The speech to business leaders explained why barriers and tariffs within Europe restricted trade, and why – with Britain leading the charge – they would be swept away with the creation of the single market.
"How we meet the challenge of the Single Market will be a major factor, possibly the major factor, in our competitive position in European and world markets into the twenty-first century. Getting it right needs a partnership between government and business."

That's Thatcher, 1988.
On Wed 11 Jul at 7:54pm Englishman wrote:
That was thirty years ago. Will all due respect to the great lady, she may not have foreseen how the now bloated gravy train of the EU would impose so many restrictions and taken advantage of our natural generous nature.
We, the people, have voted to leave (albeit by a small margin) and democracy must prevail. We must be OUT totally by next March.

On Wed 11 Jul at 8:27pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
So what's your suggestion for sorting out the Irish border issue, Englishman?
No-one who's in favour of leaving without a CU or similar deal seems to be able to come up with a solution that meets WTO rules without breaching the GFA.

On Wed 11 Jul at 10:53pm Liam Fox wrote:
The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.

On Thu 12 Jul at 5:08am You're wrong wrote:
Clifford, the problem is that Theresa May insisted on invoking A50 before any planning had been done. She had no need to do it when she did and could have waited another 6 months, another year, until the Tories had worked out what they wanted Brexit to look like and saved all this trouble. Then Brexit might have been deliverable. Damaging, but deliverable. Delaying A50 until planning had been done was what every single person who knows what they are talking about advised. Every. Single. Person. So now ask yourself, why did the Government ignore all this advice and create this mess? Is it negligence, incompetence or stupidity? Or all three?

Or was it deliberate sabotage? The Referendum was demonstrably one illegally and with foreign state interference and only the most tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist would look at the evidence and still deny it. The Government would have known that long before the rest of us but to say it would lead to accusations of sour grapes. Now it's all coming out for people to see scrapping it for the good of the country and democracy is going to be much easier because the whole process is also such a mess.
On Thu 12 Jul at 10:48am Wilderness Would wrote:
I see you haven't been wearing your tinfoil hat you naughty boy. Foreign state interference? Perhaps your Weapons of mass deceptionomatic detector needs an overhaul. I think we'llhave to revoke your day release pass.
On Thu 12 Jul at 11:02am Drusilla wrote:
Well done Maria. We love you.
We now have a MP who has worked hard before taking office, contributed in the real world and made a difference.
The world needs more people like you willing to stand up for the good of all and not remoaners self interest. There is more to our economy than selling houses and drinking coffee luvvies.
You're a great MP and now the other half have a voice.
Good job. You've got more support than you realise.
On Thu 12 Jul at 11:46am Clifford wrote:
You're wrong, are you saying a 'foreign state' bribed individual voters to vote Leave? If not, what are you saying? What do you think of the £9 million the Tory government spent on the leaflet telling us to vote Remain? And what do you think of Cameron asking Obama to tell us that if we voted Leave we'd be 'at the back of the queue'? Foreign interference?
On Thu 12 Jul at 12:21pm One wonders if we won wrote:
anything..........certainly not the world cup. It was all 3 - just like the Lewes councils. L.O.L Won Nil to incompetence
On Fri 13 Jul at 12:10pm Observer wrote:
Clifford - if you think the EU is a dastardly neoliberal plot, i can't wait to see what you think of the "trade deal" which we will get good and hard from behind from the US if we have a hard brexit.

2 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Snowdrop Stairs 111:137
Snowdrop Stairs

I wake up tearful every day thinking about the future that my children are growing up in. Children of today have so much to put... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare

Job search

Advertise a Job
for £10

Upload your CV