Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

One for the gardeners of Lewes

On Tue 17 Apr at 8:36am Puzzled gardener wrote:
My garden has been devastated by the weather this winter. I don't know if it was the fierce winds, simply the cold weather or a combination of both but I have lost several long established shrubs (10 yrs plus) such as Daphne odora, Bay, Drymis Lanceolata, Mulberry and Hebes. I have always regarded my garden as sheltered and have not had problems previously. Bizarrely, my two young Olive trees appear to be thriving.
Anyone else affected?
On Tue 17 Apr at 9:02am Belle wrote:
Ceonothus has been affected badly - waiting to see if the brown dessicated leaves will drop and if we get any regrowth. Our garden is sheltered by we do get some fierce winds. Same as you our olive trees are thriving and some plants I would expect to lose to low temps like euphorbia mellifera are okay. I think the schozoid winter weather - mostly mild, wet followed by the 'beast' has really tested some plants. They were fooled by what felt like an early spring only to have the 'beast' and sudden drops in temp when all should have been springing to life. I reckon we are about three weeks behind and I still haven't got my spuds in !!!
On Tue 17 Apr at 11:51am Puzzled gardener wrote:
My first spuds are going in this afternoon.
On Tue 17 Apr at 12:27pm Horseman7 wrote:
My medium sized hardy perennials are looking decidedly unhardy.
On Tue 17 Apr at 12:44pm Amon Wildes wrote:
Daphne ok. Jasminoides (or however the hell you spell it) has some frost burnt leaves as has another tropical foliage thing (canít Remember the name) so feel we have got odd lightly. Agapanthus looking a bit poorly but they will recover. Let us hope there are no early May frosts to do the fruit blossom in this year.

On Tue 17 Apr at 1:00pm MG wrote:
I thought we had very little frost this winter. Even the avocado plants that sprouted in my compost heap have survived the winter, which has never happened before.
On Tue 17 Apr at 1:22pm Local Resident wrote:
@MG - we probably had fewer frosts, but suffered a couple of intensely cold days - so the cold may well have penetrated further into the ground /plant etc.
I'm not a gardener, but i suspect the extreme cold snaps may well have a different effect than longer but less cold periods of frost?
I guess the point in a plant's annual cycle when it suffers from cold weather may also affect it differently, so it may be more tolerant of cold when dormant than it is once fresh growth has started?
On Tue 17 Apr at 2:27pm Worried wrote:
Help. My convictions is looking dry with areas of dead foliage. Is it the recent cold spell that has done this ? It's usually fairly hardy and in summer is an absolute abundance of white flowers. Do I prune it back hard, having taken several years to reach its current large size, or cut back the dead growth which will make it look shabby and bare, and almost not worth keeping.
On Tue 17 Apr at 2:59pm Horseman7 wrote:
It's easy to come up with reasons but actually I suspect I'm just a rubbish gardener.
On Tue 17 Apr at 3:38pm Just a thought wrote:
The losses your garden has suffered my be down to the extremely dry autumn we experienced, which would have left the plants with low reserves to survive the cold snap we had. It would also explain why the Olives are doing okay as they like free draining soil. If the plants you mention haven't had it entirely, you could try a nice deep mulch to feed them and encourage any new growth.
On Tue 17 Apr at 3:58pm Gus wrote:
What a pleasure to see this thread, devoid of nasty remarks! My olive tree is doing well, too, but never bears olives. Perhaps it needs a nearby olive to be pollinated with.
On Tue 17 Apr at 4:30pm On the Buses wrote:
You're welcome to pollinate my wife.
Yours,
Arthur
On Tue 17 Apr at 4:32pm Theresa's Philip wrote:
Yes, we've lost quite a few established plants, & maybe a Myrtle bush many years old - ditto an Oleander. Olives are tough & ours is fine; we always get a few (small) olives.
On Tue 17 Apr at 5:04pm Cyril Blake wrote:
@ On the buses: This was a good thread, about gardening. Why does some **** have to spoil it?
On Tue 17 Apr at 6:24pm Geoff Paddle wrote:
I'll be trimming my bush in the next couple of weeks. It looks rather splendid once I've had a hack at it.
On Tue 17 Apr at 6:37pm Monty Gone wrote:
Both my Daphne and Myrtle seem to have died. I suspect the leaves dried out too quickly thanks to the consistently strong winds over several days during the visit from the "Beast from the East" and there wasn't enough moisture in the soil for them to take it up in time - despite a covering of snow. I shall leave it till at least June before I give up on them, there's every chance that there will be some life to come from lower down. Interesting to note that, anecdotally , it's mostly evergreens that have been affected.
On Tue 17 Apr at 6:40pm On the buses wrote:
Because I can, Blakey. Do you hate me as well?
On Tue 17 Apr at 7:09pm Amon Wildes wrote:
Yes, brought my oleander inside for several nights as itís in a pot. Sorry to hear that Theresaís died, presumably because planted outside. I have always underatood they are not hardy but you do see them in BRIGHTON.
On Tue 17 Apr at 7:22pm Xplorer2 wrote:
We have a D odora thatís dying as well. Another gave up the ghost two years ago. I donít think they live forever, and these are probably 20+ years old. Some other shrubs are looking ropey, some others thriving - tree peony, osmanthus, various cornus and viburnums all doing well. Horticultureís a complicated business.
On Tue 17 Apr at 7:24pm Puzzled gardener wrote:
Good observation re evergreens Monty Gone.

On Wed 18 Apr at 9:45am Novice Gardner wrote:
Been too depressed to spend more than 10mins in garden until last weekend. Lots of plants looking ropy/dead but may come good. Nature can fight back but I'm sure I'll have lost a lot.....

16 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sunset 87:137
Lewes Sunset

Nah, the nasty party are the closet Sociaists such as Matt Woodruff of placard infamy (2015-ish?) more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the shrubbery and greenery that surrounds us
Me

Job search

Advertise a Job
for £10

Upload your CV