Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Used syringes

On Mon 16 Apr at 10:04am Popeye wrote:
Iíve just walked along Castle Dirch Lane behind the law courts and itís littered with used syringes. Who should I notify?
On Mon 16 Apr at 10:25am The Major. wrote:
Environmental health?
I have no objection to these filthy scum junkies killing themselves but to leave syringes around like this boils my p1$$
On Mon 16 Apr at 10:33am endoftheouse wrote:
Lewes Town has become The Pit of Misery. "Dilly Dilly."
On Mon 16 Apr at 11:48am Lavender's blue wrote:
Dilly Dilly, you're an old Queen.
On Mon 16 Apr at 12:54pm stevied wrote:
@Popeye - report them via

Check it out here »
On Mon 16 Apr at 12:55pm Dilly Dong wrote:
Its the same at bus station
On Mon 16 Apr at 1:03pm Druggy Boy wrote:
All mine i'll have them back pls. My address is PO Box 221, BN7
xx
On Mon 16 Apr at 2:32pm Dilly Doe wrote:
I say !
On Mon 16 Apr at 6:00pm DeExilio wrote:
Very shocking
But, as the weather improves, itís obvious we are on the receiving end of more professional-beggar riffraff from Brighton
On Tue 17 Apr at 7:54am CactusBadger wrote:
Try this link...

Check it out here »
On Tue 17 Apr at 7:55am CactusBadger wrote:
for reporting discarded syringes,
On Tue 17 Apr at 8:57am CactusBadger wrote:
I was sitting in my car in Waitrose, in the space next Chaula's, to waiting for my wife, when a couple of the new batch of beggars sat next on the wall next to my car and started discussing the purchase of a 'baggie' (small batch of heroin). The women said she'd already shared 1/2 a baggie that morning and she was happy for this guy to come round her flat to shared a whole one with this guy.
On Tue 17 Apr at 9:01am CactusBadger wrote:
The money you give them is for no other purpose than to buy their next fix. If you give them money, not only will they stay, they will not get the help they need, and more will come.
On Tue 17 Apr at 11:09am Pedro wrote:
Place more sharps bins around Lewes, treat addiction as a medical condition rather than a crime. Focus on ways to avoid overdosing by having a safe zone where addicts can do it safely and lower their vulnerability, as well as reducing the amount of discarded needles outside of this area. Seemingly radical ideas become common sense very quickly when you note the reduction in crime, overdosing and littered needles (as demonstrated in Portugal).
On Tue 17 Apr at 2:40pm Marksmen wrote:
Or just shoot them with an ak47
On Tue 17 Apr at 4:40pm CactusBadger wrote:
If you feed a pigeon, it'll come back the next day expecting to be feed again. If you keep feeding them, eventually the other pigeons catch on and turn up expecting to be fed.
In a short period of time, you'll be the one trying to clean up all the pigeon s**t from your back yard.
On Tue 17 Apr at 4:46pm CactusBadger wrote:
Your proposed solution to the pigeon problem is to build a shelter in which they can safely eat.
On Tue 17 Apr at 4:53pm Country Life wrote:
@CactusBadger or get a flipping great hawk to deal with it their way?
On Tue 17 Apr at 5:09pm Pedro wrote:
@cactusbadger - lol, what an unsubtle way of demonising homeless people by using a vermin analogy! Where's the rolly eyed smiley when you need it...
On Tue 17 Apr at 5:34pm CactusBadger wrote:
@pedro I was using an analogy. Some human and animal behaviours are inherently predictable. In this context, I was attempting to illustrate how the application of was is seen as the humane response may not bring forth the desired result. Your use of word demonizing' is just an unstructured attempt to belittle my comments.
On Tue 17 Apr at 6:03pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
@Pedro nobody mentioned homeless people except you.
On Tue 17 Apr at 6:12pm CactusBadger wrote:
And, just for laughs, I don't think your use of the word 'vermin' is strictly correct and should not be applied to pigeons.

Check it out here »
On Wed 18 Apr at 9:27am Pedro wrote:
You're trying to distract from your mean-spirited comments by attempting to get me on a "technicality" - its pretty transparent . Sure, you never said "homeless", so i'll grant you that, and change it to heroin users. So basically you are comparing heroin-users to pigeons, but I think your analogy was deliberately contemptuous, hence why you discussed in the subsequent posts about having to clear all the pigeon s**t, then using further distractions about pigeons not necessarily being considered as "vermin"!
On Wed 18 Apr at 10:26am CactusBadger wrote:
@pedro: Interesting response. I love technicalities, they are fun and shouldn't be taken seriously. Your use of 'mean-spirited' and 'contemptuous' are attempts to devalue the quality of my original comment by casting aspersion about my personality. I don't mind you be judgmental, everyone is...
Try to stay on point with the discussion thread; discarded syringes are dangerous and anti-social.
For the record, I've never been accused of being mean-spirited and only occasionally contemptuous.
On Wed 18 Apr at 10:44am Pedro wrote:
@ cactusbadger - i'm not taking it particularly seriously, I know how this forum operates!

Speaking of technicalities, I must also add that the reason I jumped to the conclusion of the "homeless", was because in an earlier post, you were discussing "beggars". Now, I don't want to get into a tiring debate about how "beggars" in Lewes often drive Audis and have 5 bedroom houses, but you can surely understand how I made the link!

Incidentally, I don't think I need to devalue the quality of your "pigeon" post, it was nonsense even had it been uttered from an eminent philosopher! Discarded syringes ARE dangerous and anti-social, which is why my suggestion of placing more sharps bins across Lewes could be effective, as well as trialing other solutions like heroin consumption areas, that could manage and contain the problem more effectively. This would likely lead to less discarded needles, as well as reducing overdose fatalities.
On Wed 18 Apr at 11:20am CactusBadger wrote:
Excellent, back on point (well almost). Placing obvious signs, like sharps bins and consumption areas, would indicate that Lewes may have serious drug user issues. This would impact local businesses which rely on tourist trade. The family friendly environment Lewes portrays would be affected, young families are less likely move into the area which bring new vitality and revenue to the town.
It would be nice if the problem was addressed, but with proper consideration about how changes would affect the majority of people who live work and contribute to this town.
On Wed 18 Apr at 11:35am Pedro wrote:
You only need to place sharps bins in areas where needles have been dropped, and you only need as many safe consumption areas to fulfill the (i'm sure) limited demand. We are not talking about any notably visible changes for Lewes (although less used needles laying about randomly might be a net positive).

How do you address the problem? Its clear that treating drug users as criminals doesn't work, and it also appears from other countries adoption of more liberal drug laws has helped reduce not just overdosing, but also overall consumption, as addiction has been tackled as a health issue, rather than as a criminal issue.
On Wed 18 Apr at 12:42pm CactusBadger wrote:
I agree that the criminalization of drug use has only ever made the problem worse. Creating an addiction cycle in which vulnerable people fear of getting into trouble and having their supply cut off, and an increasingly violent supply chain and resists all attempts at closure.
Addiction is a health issue. When treated as such, the local authorities have been better able to tackle the problem.
It should also be considered that some addicts don't want help. Taking their drug of choice makes them feel better, pushing back the problems they face day to day and also creating a focus on which their lives revolve.
Unfortunately, while using drugs is considered the evil and policies are driven by intolerance and prejudice, what could be achieved by a more enlightened approach may be difficult to implement. To this, education is the key.
On Wed 18 Apr at 1:02pm Country Life wrote:
@Pedro and @CactusBadger do you really think that if sharp bins were placed as you suggest that these hard drug users would make sure they used them, that's ridiculous. Here's the image - the user cooks up their smack, fills the syringe, injects and then 'ahhh, now where's that bin? I must make sure I clean up after myself...'. Preposterous.
On Wed 18 Apr at 1:44pm CactusBadger wrote:
@country life. Thanks for the input. Please go back and read the full exchange. I don't providing bins is a suitable solution either. Also your generalization of drug addicts is very narrow. Most long term users need a regular dose just to feel 'normal'. There's a good documentary, based in Brighton, highlighting some the issues and gives insight into addiction behaviours on BBC3 (see link).

Check it out here »
On Wed 18 Apr at 3:27pm Pedro wrote:
Sharps bins are just one of the solutions to help discard syringes, but there also has to be help for those with drug addictions, rather than just belittling them or giving them a criminal record (and potentially incarcerating them briefly at huge taxpayers expense).

Its about time we tried to tackle the same old problems differently. The current/previous policies on drugs, the war on drugs and the demonising of them and anyone who uses them, has simply failed. Time to have a grown up conversation and serious debate about drugs, if thats even possible.
On Wed 18 Apr at 7:28pm Damaged wrote:
I hate IV drug users. I hate them with a passion.
My father died of IV heroin when we were small children. He was feeling distressed about something that had happened that day, went to visit a friend, and someone he knew was there who said "take this it'll make you feel calmer" so, having never taken a drug before, he took it and he died within minutes.
Our family was decimated and the damage remains.
I hate every single one of the people I see around town who I know are junkies. I don't think they need help. I don't think it is a mental illness. They are manipulative, self centred, dishonest and thieves. They are out for themselves 100%. I know this through extensive work my mother volunteered to do in the aftermath of my dad's death in the hope that she could do some good in the face of something so truly terrible.
They will not give a sh!t about using sharps boxes.
I, for one, would see every one of them rounded up and shipped off to a remote island.

On Thu 19 Apr at 12:15pm Pedro wrote:
@damaged, sounds like a very harrowing personal experience, and I'm not surprised you feel the way you do about heroin addicts. The problem won't go away though just by demonising addicts/users and punishing them in a court of law, they DO need help, otherwise they'll descend into further chaos and everything in their orbit is at risk of being sucked in and impacted as well.

Will all "junkies" use sharps bins? No, probably not all, but they're not all the same. A safe consumption room would be more beneficial to a town like Lewes (and no, it doesn't need to be published in all the tourist brochures) in addition to sharps bins in public toilets (or other "hotspots"). The issue is that the current drug laws and strategies are not working, so you either go with the heavy handed approach as in the Philippines case with Duterte on a mission to eliminate anyone connected with any kind of drugs including casual users (with thousands of extrajudicial deaths as a result of his policies) or you try a more liberal approach as in the case of Portugal, who now have a phenomenally low drug overdose rate and less hysteria surrounding the topic of drugs. I'd pick the Portugal route, you may favour the all-out war and vigilante gangs.
On Sat 21 Apr at 10:12pm Pagreed wrote:
Lots of syringes in railway land too, just wish they were easier to dispose of, pets, kids, me scamping about, so easy to get punctured

3 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Five Lewes Pounds 35:137
Five Lewes Pounds

Stop The Clock, you need to be a bit more positive.
Our city banking community didn't want to leave either, because they had a... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum as it shows me not everyone thinks like me (they seem to on facebook though)
Freeda

Job search

Advertise a Job
for £10

Upload your CV