Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

**NEW** DFL Loyalty Card

On Fri 13 Apr at 9:53am ClarifiedButler wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm very excited to announce the introduction of the new DFL Loyalty Card. This exclusive reward card is available only to those who can afford the prohibitively expensive property prices in the town. Also necessary for eligibility is a palpable air of smugness and a lack of self-awareness. Perks to becoming a member include:
- Not being the only one out of your DFL chums not to have one.
- A complete lack of appreciation for what makes Lewes a decent place to live.
- Something else for you to stare at whilst you ignore the entire social fabric of a community ebb away under immense economic pressure.
Uniquely to this card is that, unlike other similar schemes, using the card actually causes prices to increase year on year, as well as homogenising what businesses offer in the town, all under the veneer of 'choice'! Don't waste any of your abundant free time, pick yours today at participating shops:
- Wickle
- Flint
- AS Apothecary
- Ground Coffee
...you know the rest!
On Fri 13 Apr at 10:08am Clifford wrote:
Yes, always best to blame the damage caused by capitalist crisis on people from London, immigrants, Jews, the unions... Very smart.
On Fri 13 Apr at 11:27am eh wrote:
Isn't Flint owned and run by someone who has lived in Lewes their whole life? A genuinely successful, independent shop providing jobs as they grow.

Why stick the boot in? It's not like you or anyone is forced to buy bread there.
On Fri 13 Apr at 11:41am Ehsanob wrote:
When since did Flint sell bread?
On Fri 13 Apr at 11:42am Madame x wrote:
Oh how terribly tedious . Dfl loud and proud!!!!
On Fri 13 Apr at 11:58am Tell me wrote:
Madam x
Youíre not that dreadful woman from union music are you ?
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:10pm Eesanob wrote:
Since when was flint a master baker ?
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:10pm Jesus wrote:
Op are you Lewes born and bred?
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:14pm DNA test wrote:
Is anyone here LB+B
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:34pm Brian wrote:
I am and so's my wife.
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:35pm Nonamw wrote:
Iím not LB+B, Iím AFW
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:37pm LB+B wrote:
@DNA Test - Yes!
So sad to see what's happened to Lewes over the past 20 years with the influx of so many people who, intentionally or not, have ruined the very thing(s) they moved here for.
And to the next poster, no, I won't name those 'things'. If you don't know, you never will.
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:49pm I'm guessing... wrote:
Webbed feet, racial purity, that funny Sussex accent nobody can understand, heavy industry, milk men, public flogging...
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:52pm Sussex local wrote:
@ clarifiedbutter
Best post on this forum for ages and so very true...
On Fri 13 Apr at 12:53pm Nevillman wrote:
I think you do need to say what the ruinned things are. Lewes has always been full of strange shops. Clothkits was hardly everyday wear. The last food shop as I recall was the international near the war memorial and that went years ago. I don't know how much incomers are responsible for things like patina and artwave but they have enhanced our town and not compulsory in any case. House prices may have gone up by more than the south east average (I honestly don't know) but that has not really affected the town. Please be specific and tell me how dfls have ruined Lewes.
On Fri 13 Apr at 2:48pm look in the mirror wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm pretty miserable about announcing the introduction of the new DFL Hater Card. This exclusive reward card is available only to those who can't afford the prohibitively expensive property prices in the town but still live here somehow. Also necessary for eligibility is a palpable air of smugness and a lack of self-awareness. Perks to becoming a member include:
- Not being the only one out of your Lewes born and bred mates not to have one.
- A complete lack of appreciation for what makes Lewes a decent place to live.
- Something else for you to stare at whilst you ignore the fact your constant rants about outsiders does nothing positive for the community.
Uniquely to this card is that, unlike other similar schemes, using the card actually causes you to get more bitter with each passing year. Earn extra points by blaming outsiders as other factors may are more complex so best ignored.
On Fri 13 Apr at 3:22pm Colonal mustard wrote:
Cheer up all, I love lewes and Iím a DFL of sorts , only ever hear this dfl nonsense on here , happy vibes to all, to those who have a preference for mung beans and to those who prefer a good old Aldi shop!
On Fri 13 Apr at 3:37pm Rob wrote:
You seem like you have a lot to get off your chest Mr ClarifiedButler. Pint?
On Fri 13 Apr at 5:08pm xplorer2 wrote:
"what makes Lewes a decent place to live"?
+ Vibrant active town with lots of cultural events
+ Fantastic countryside and coast close at hand
+ Beautiful townscapes and views
+ Three supermarkets
+ Diverse High St with lots of independent shops
+ A river runs through it
+ Lewes CFC
On Fri 13 Apr at 5:55pm You're all thinking it wrote:
It's so easy to spot the DFL's in town, as they love posing in any (or all) of the following situations:
1. Window (or outside) seats in coffee shops
2. Lycra clad with expensive bike
3. Chelsea tractors (usually on iphone)
4. Depot cinema (the more poncey the film the better)
5. Desperate attempts to become "local" by joining absurd groups and campaigning for meaningless causes
On Fri 13 Apr at 6:45pm Local wrote:
Iím from a long standing Lewes family and have spent all of my life here. I really have no idea what all this DFL rubbish is about. Yes, incomes have pushed up property prices but otherwise the changes have been pretty much the same as many other thriving towns. The high street has changed everywhere and traditional shops have given way to more coffee shops and restaurants. Without those DFLs (and the local middle classes) our high street would have plenty of empty shops and everybody would be moaning about that instead. Itís sad to see so much hate directed at people who just want to make the town their home.
On Fri 13 Apr at 6:54pm Madame x wrote:
Have to see I rarely see a ĎChelsea tractor Ď in town, it would be mightily impractical !! Golly gosh!
On Fri 13 Apr at 7:19pm More of a local wrote:
These DFLS bought their houses at over inflated prices off locals who were happy to take the cash. Get over it. OP are you born and bred or not? Or just a lonely troll from Peckham?
On Fri 13 Apr at 7:23pm Uptown Monk wrote:
I blame the Normans, coming over here, building their castles. And donít get me started on the electricity and running water.
On Fri 13 Apr at 7:23pm Lunatic Les wrote:
@youíreallyhinkingit
You forgot the North Face anorak they all seem to wear
Sometimes matching with their old woman
On Fri 13 Apr at 7:28pm Nevillman wrote:
Society is changing faster than ever, whether due to the crisis of capitalism as Clifford says or because of technology and population growth. Many people feel worried and threatened by this, harking back to a mythological age of corner shops, bobbies on bicycles etc. Blaming others including dfls is an easy and for some, an instinctive response. I feel sorry for them and their inability to adjust. At least they only sound off on here.
On Fri 13 Apr at 10:05pm Clifford wrote:
xplorer2 wrote: '... Vibrant... Diverse...'

In your game of Cliche Bingo you unaccountably missed 'inspirational' and 'journey'.
On Fri 13 Apr at 11:43pm Garstang wrote:
ĎIt's so easy to spot the DFL's in town, as they love posing in any (or all) of the following situations:
1. Window (or outside) seats in coffee shopsí
Sitting outside CaffŤ Nero and Costa? They are the DFLs youíre so worried about?? I donít think so.
On Sat 14 Apr at 10:22am Local person wrote:
We could play a game of I spy the DFL house but then again they are early to spot - normally houses that look unbelievably trendy amongst other normal residents and completely out of character with the other house in their road with the hope of being featured in " Home and Garden" magazine or similar.
But then again that's "moving with the times" So scr*w everyone else.
And they don't really care how many coffee bars sprout up in Lewes as long as Waitrose or John Lewis deliver online...
Never mind the locals they'll soon be gone or pushed out by economic pressure and then the DFLs can really go to town and change Lewes to suit their desires.
But what's the point in complaining when this "forum" is dominated by them?
RIP Lewes.
On Sat 14 Apr at 1:27pm Uptown Monk wrote:
I understand that some people want things to be how they used to be. But you canít blame a few people coming from outside for things that arenít their fault, that just not unfair. Everywhere on the world that has fast internet, shops that sell useful bits and pieces are disappearing and cafes are open, because of the internet. DFLs didnít invent the internet.
On Sat 14 Apr at 1:37pm Downtown Nun wrote:
Bring back the priory - not the school-
On Sat 14 Apr at 3:09pm Lunatic Les wrote:
Yes that one on Highdown Road with the 3D Ďimagineí sign
fark sake !!

On Sat 14 Apr at 9:50pm Xplorer2 wrote:
Clifford - no, I didnít use them because they werenít part of my thought process. Vibrant, yes: lots of things going on, new businesses opening etc. Diverse, yes: people from all over, different backgrounds, different opinions. Everyone from the unexceptional to Nobel laureates, all with something to contribute.
On Sun 15 Apr at 8:10am Lewes trousers wrote:
I remember the dark side of that Lewes of old, It always voted Tory.
On Sun 15 Apr at 4:43pm Observer wrote:
I've looked at local election records going back to the sixties and lewes town has never been tory. Labour in the 60s and early 70s, then SDP, then more recently libdem, independent and green. Are you confusing lewes town with the much, much larger district,?
Also, looking at some of the descriptions of DFLs on here - Chelsea tractors, North face, cafe nero- I think you're actually talking about the loaded county set who live out in the sticks and come into lewes at weekends.

On Mon 16 Apr at 1:32pm Greedy locals wrote:
Nobody has ever been able to buy a house in town at an over-inflated price without someone here being willing to sell it to them. The root cause of all these perceived woes therefore is surely all the Lewes born and bred types making a quick buck flogging their house for a huge profit. Why is there not more ire directed at LFH's, Left For Hailshams.

1 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

roboqueen 108:137
roboqueen

Is there anything particular you are in fear of Roy? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo

Job search

Advertise a Job
for £10

Upload your CV