Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

jubilee celebrations in lewes ?????

On 5 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm just wondering wrote:
Hi does anyone know of events/celebrations taking place in lewes for the jubilee ?

On 5 Apr 2012 at 5:21pm Pete wrote:
The Nevill are doing an "extravaganza" on 4th June.
On 5 Apr 2012 at 6:09pm padster wrote:
Hopefully there won't be any. Long live the English republic !
On 5 Apr 2012 at 6:26pm Clifford wrote:
Hear, hear padster. But let the servile who want to genuflect do so.
On 5 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm Move to Australia wrote:
Padstar/Clifford typical!! If it's so bad here you could always move to somewhere like Aus!
On 5 Apr 2012 at 7:06pm Clifford wrote:
Move to Australia - perhaps you should move back to the 17th century. I'm sure you'd be happier with the divine right of kings.

On 5 Apr 2012 at 7:11pm Oh for the empire wrote:
Happily!!

On 5 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm Clifford wrote:
Serf.

On 5 Apr 2012 at 8:31pm NJBS wrote:
Shameless plug time - please click on link !

Check it out here »

On 5 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm sadsack wrote:
lol
Hog-Roast for every ticket holder (vegetarian option available).
Will that be the apple in his mouth? Just kidding, hope it is a great event.
On 5 Apr 2012 at 10:08pm Northern Bigot wrote:
Not much happened in 2002 either! Now 1977, was a different matter, the Bonfire societies celebrated the event. Those were the days, place has changed since. Who recalls the no popery banner going missing in 1959? It wasnt missing for long! Those were the days! What happened to that patriotic working class protestant identity, then considered part of the British character?
On 6 Apr 2012 at 8:23am Pete wrote:
The difference between Australia and the UK is that there are lots of nasty beasties in the water in Australia, here, there are lots of nasty beasties on land !!
I'll be celebrating on the Nevill Green come June 4th with the rest of the Nevill elite ! (that should stir a few things up...)
On 6 Apr 2012 at 10:26am Lovethewindup wrote:
Is there such a thing as Neville elite? I thought it was an old council estate!
On 6 Apr 2012 at 12:50pm padster wrote:
I could move to Oz but they voted NO to removing the queen as the head of state so i cancelled my one way ticket!
I did not say i didn't like living here or make any judgement on this country, i am just saying i dont care for the monarchy.
Consider you work hard and some of your hard earned taxes goes on people like princess michael of Kent and her husband, now if your happy with that then fine, can you give me £100 quid you obviously love giving your money away to undeserving causes.
On 6 Apr 2012 at 5:25pm just wondering wrote:
its pretty sad when someone asks a genuine question and the responses are mostly unhelpul and not relevant, lewes forum should be used as a helpful means of communication for general people not a nasty sounding tool. Thank you to those who posted genuine responses.
On 7 Apr 2012 at 7:07am jrsussex wrote:
Long live the Monarchy - Please protect me from a republic headed up by President Blair / Cameron / Brown etc.
Our Queen is nothing more than a figurehead, she doesn't run our Parliament.
On 7 Apr 2012 at 7:31am Clifford wrote:
Oh come on jrsussex, you know that there would never be a 'President Blair/Cameron/Brown' because nobody would vote for them. And if we did, then that's democracy. If the Queen is just a figurehead (and I agree she is), why do we need a family of figureheads at the trough? We could equally have an elected figurehead, with no absurd titles - 'Your Majesty' and, ever funnier, 'Your Royal Highness'.
On 7 Apr 2012 at 11:15am padster wrote:
daer Just Wondering, please dont see my comments as a personal rebuke of you or your feelings. This is a forum and everyone can to come to it as they please There are an array of comments on here, if you feel anti monarchy feelings are a nasty sounding tool then fine thats your opinion but allow me to express my opinion also.

On 8 Apr 2012 at 10:23am just wondering wrote:
padster it isnt that i have any problem with you expressing your opinion its just that i feel the original purpose is some what lost amongst the responses that aren't really helpful to my original question- by all means if you have opinions you would like to share start a new thread - happy easter

On 8 Apr 2012 at 11:09am Clifford wrote:
Yes, just wondering, but I'm sure if padster had posted asking whether there are any anti-monarchy events taking place in Lewes you would have joined in to say what a good thing the monarchy is... tourism... tradition... etc

On 8 Apr 2012 at 12:35pm just wondering wrote:
no not at all clifford im simply wondering if there is anything happening in lewes for the jubilee that doesnt actually tell you what my opinion on the monarchy is - it only tells you i would like to know what is happening in lewes on the 4th june

On 8 Apr 2012 at 12:51pm Clifford wrote:
just wondering - of course, you're right.

On 8 Apr 2012 at 2:46pm padster wrote:
Dear Just Wondering would it be fair to infer from your question that you do support the monarchy and would like to join in any jubilee events that may be happening in Lewes? I did infer that and i am sure if there were events they would be fun for the family etc, ( going soft in my old age) , I just cant stand the bloody monarchy aaarrrggghhh, lets be honest they ( british / english monarchy) dont have a great history track record. Remember every right and freedom in this country was fought for and earned by the working people, the kings and queens of england never gave anything to the people , but expected them to fight their wars and pay them taxes....simplistic analysis i know but i believe it to be true.
Happy easter and enjoy whatever it is you do.......

On 8 Apr 2012 at 5:48pm just wondering wrote:
padster that would be a fair asumption yes but no i do not support the monarchy i dont get alot of time with my family as i work weekends and thought i would make the most of a day off (even an enforced one) and wanted to know what was going on locally. Happy easter.

On 8 Apr 2012 at 7:29pm Clifford wrote:
Not a simplistic analysis at all, a very clear one.

On 9 Apr 2012 at 7:31am Deelite wrote:
So, nothing else on then?

On 9 Apr 2012 at 10:26pm Ahem wrote:
A pedant writes...
The Nevill is not an "old council estate", the first houses built were indeed council but the majority of the homes built since have been owner-occupied ever since they were built. (The Downs Estate around Highdown and MOunt Harry Roads was never council at all, incidentally).
On 10 Apr 2012 at 12:26am expat two wrote:
Have you seen the CEBR have complained that bank holidays cost the economy 19 billion pounds each. I can guess where thats going. I wonder how much not sending 8 year olds up chimneys or not allowing slavery is costing the economy.

On 10 Apr 2012 at 8:01am Clifford wrote:
As we have the fewest bank holidays of any European country I'm sure CEBR won't be satisfied till we have none. The live-to-work society rather than work-to-live gets closer.

On 10 Apr 2012 at 8:14am Pete wrote:
Being retired, everyday is a bank holiday, so I hereby authorise everyone to take the rest of their lives off !!
Clifford, you're right, it's a sad day that the "live-to-work" scenario is upon us, well not me personally, but the workers of this land.

On 10 Apr 2012 at 3:34pm Guido wrote:
I do believe there are still quite a few council houses up on the Neville estate! My cousin lives in one!

On 10 Apr 2012 at 4:57pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I would actually like to know of any jubilee celebrations going on so that I can be sure to avoid them.
What a year - the goddamned olympics and a celebration for the biggest benefit scroungers of all. I'm thoroughly sick of both already and would go and live in a cave until autumn if I didn't have to go to work.

On 17 Apr 2012 at 8:45pm Mike Hunt wrote:
Its not 'The Neville' its just Neville. If you call it The then you are a DFL or DFSomewhere..........

On 17 Apr 2012 at 9:26pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Does it really matter 'Mike Hunt'? In any case, it's Nevill. No 'e'. Tw*t by name. Tw*t by nature.

3 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sheep 79:132
Lewes Sheep

Local99 why not an American Diner just because itís not to your taste, you can get some good quality American Diner... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo