Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

homeless in lewes

On 9 Oct 2017 at 1:37pm who cares? wrote:
So, i have a flat in lewes and i work .So, not worthless unemployed scum "workwill" will be glad to know .Nevertheless I am still interested in those who don't have a roof. Government is mainly responsible but so is the council which I happen to know has shirked its legal responsibilities in the past But worry not, the policy now is simply to get the police to spend their time clearing the homeless off the lewes streets so you dont have to look at them
On 9 Oct 2017 at 1:52pm Pablo wrote:
This is great news. I hate having to step over that smelly lot whilst going about my business in town.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 2:29pm hypocrisy is great wrote:
Aha! I too was worried you may be an outsider to our little enclave, Who Cares....
But now I know you too are smug, self satisfied & entitled, I can take you more seriously & chat to you as an equal! When shall we don our Brown/Black shirts??
On 9 Oct 2017 at 2:32pm bobobob wrote:
So we've now spent a bunch of our tax payer money on not solving the problem. These homeless people didn't disappear. They are now in another town which will spend more tax payer money moving them on. Repeat until someone moves them on back to Lewes.

Back to the where we started except we've spent a bunch of money achieving nothing. Plus the waste of police time.

Whatever makes folks happy I guess
On 9 Oct 2017 at 2:48pm Workwill wrote:
My response that Webbo deleted was to your fascist remark that Webbo also deleted, nothing more. Kind regards, to you and Webbo.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 2:53pm Workwill wrote:
Why start a new thread ? Apologies to Webbo for assuming he deleted the posts. PS please stop starting a post with "so " it so gives away your lack of education. Kind regards.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 3:12pm Hajohn wrote:
Looks like I'll be joining them at the end of this month been to the council and they told me even though I'm homeless they don't have to rehouse me and I'm lewes born and breed.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 3:36pm Badger wrote:
Gave one of them 50p by boots , no smile or a thankyou. Won't bother again, workshy slobs...
On 9 Oct 2017 at 3:40pm Fairmeadow wrote:
The council has an obligation to provide help and advice to enable you to house yourself. They don't have an obligation to actually provide you with accommodation unless you are also "vulnerable", which means fit into one of a number of categories such as pregnant, responsible for children, elderly, ill, etc.
I would add that even if the council does offer you emergency accommodation, it may not be quite what you were hoping for. All councils find it very hard to find enough decent accommodation, and most are experiencing increased demand. Stays in emergency accommodation before you get something more permanent are lengthening. The situation is likely to get a lot worse very quickly when Universal Credit rolls out in Lewes District next year. It has already arrived in Hastings, causing chaos, and is just about to roll out in Eastbourne and Hove.
Perhaps the Depot should re-show Cathy Come Home?
On 9 Oct 2017 at 3:54pm lewes man wrote:
ok I will point it out for the last time . Some of them have home in lewes/ brighton . its all about siting a round Lewes doing f##K all . And some of you handing them money for DRUG AND BEER . one of the make about 75 in a day
On 9 Oct 2017 at 4:08pm @badger wrote:
Does the 50p by boots actually have the boots branding on it? I do hope they have retained her majesty on the back, not like that nasty Lewes pound lot!
On 9 Oct 2017 at 4:40pm The Greek wrote:
How do you explain the poor bloke actually sleeping outside Boots at gone 11pm then?

Brighton has a chronic homelessness problem. Have any of you actually sat down and had a chat with any of these people and found out their story? I'd suggest you start there.. they are people just like you and me.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 4:42pm bobobob wrote:
^Some may have a space in a hostel or emergency shelter but I doubt anyone actually has a home to call their own. If you are aware of someone who does then report them to the police.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 4:53pm Pedro wrote:
Although I suspect a fair percentage of the comments relating cynically to homeless people/beggars are being deliberately provocative for the sake of an argument, it would be interesting to see how their mindset changes if a loved one of theirs was to end up in a vulnerable position of abject poverty.

Some may be abusing the system, sure enough, but their lives will be dominated by high risk addiction, stigma and abuse and crime. I can't see how this is a desirable existence (even if they "have a home in Brighton"), and would imagine that many would benefit from addiction clinics or mental health services. The virtually free "kick up the arse" tactic the current government deploys seems to be highly ineffective given the surge since 2010. Locking them up in jail is about as expensive as it gets as well as a solution, hence why its not really considered a viable option.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 5:14pm Howtocare wrote:
I don't think anyone denies that 'real' homelessness & hardship exist. The reasons for people dropping out of a 'normal' way of life are many: some have been genuinely failed by society (physical, mental & sexual abuse), mental health issues etc. Some sadly have reasons that, to some, are maybe more questionable including alcohol addiction and substance abuse. Often the latter are secondary to the initial event that led to the dropping out.
Then there is the genuine problem of scrounging & professional begging. This phenomenon clearly exists & is increasing. Differentiating from people in genuine hardship and scrounged is pretty much impossible. At least on a one-time meeting.
So I would suggest that avoiding direct giving of cash is sensible. Maybe support a homeless charity or soup kitchen? Or even (cautiously) consider offering some casual work in return for a decent meal?
It's difficult, but we must avoid "throwing the baby out with the bath water" and try & help the genuinely troubled.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 6:11pm Pedro wrote:
@howtocare, indeed and supporting political parties that are willing to tackle both genuine homelessness, as well as fraud (benefit fraud, and illegal begging) would help. Cutting funding on social welfare programmes as well as policing was hardly going to be consequence-free, so we need to really be backing parties that would look to restore these and have good ideas on how to solve these problems beyond sweeping it under the carpet.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 6:16pm Clifford wrote:
Howtocare wrote: 'Then there is the genuine problem of scrounging & professional begging. This phenomenon clearly exists & is increasing.'

Do you think people have decided 'professional begging' is a good way of life over the last few years? I've been around a while and I've noticed and begging and sleeping in shop doorways seems to increase whenever the Tories decided to take a 'hard line' on benefits and social support- the 1980s and since 2010 come to mind.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 6:54pm Mikes motors wrote:
Gateway drugs like cannabis are the most likely cause of these peoples problems. Stop that and you solve a lot of problems.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 7:28pm Mental health wrote:
Exactly. Slippery slope to addiction. Glad I'm not so weak as to need drugs (cannabis, fags, booze, cocaine, heroine, lsd, mushrooms etc) every day to enjoy life. That would be a pretty sad state to be in wouldn't it.
On 9 Oct 2017 at 10:20pm Pedro wrote:
Trolololol. I put it to you that your life must not so be great if you feel it necessary to post this kind of crap to strangers on a forum. I sense deep unhappiness and bitterness in your words (this weird resentment of other people is not a healthy pursuit/hobby, you know?). Perhaps a bit of weed and red wine might loosen you up a bit.
On 10 Oct 2017 at 9:56am The Greek wrote:
Alcohol is by far the most potent gateway drug.
On 10 Oct 2017 at 10:10am Wine expert wrote:
With all due respect greek that is incorrect.
On 10 Oct 2017 at 10:31am Pedro wrote:
The only threat cannabis has as a "gateway" drug, is that one of its sources/supply is in the hands of criminal gangs and dealers. If it were legalised and fully regulated, and sold by official vendors (or permitted to be grown freely for personal use at home), this would limit peoples exposure to much more harmful and addictive substances such as heroin and cocaine. Its really common sense, I'm surprised at how daft some people can be on this issue in the 21st century.

On 10 Oct 2017 at 11:10am Nauseous wrote:
Don't you ever stop. Change the subject ffs
On 10 Oct 2017 at 2:39pm Pedro wrote:
@ nauseous, you really ought to highlight who your little anger fit is directed at. In this case, I can only assume its "Mikes Motors" who instigated it in this thread. If the anonymous multi-username troll types wish to chat to me about cannabis, on any thread, I'll happily oblige. The only way it will stop is if they give up trolling. Seems to be a worse addiction than most illicit drugs and they can't stop themselves, and I'm happy to be their enabler and drive them further into mental oblivion!
On 10 Oct 2017 at 3:15pm Mikes motors wrote:
It's you pedro. He wants you to stop. You can't because you have totally lost the plot. Will you.have the last word?
On 10 Oct 2017 at 3:39pm Hhmm wrote:
You are weird pedo.
On 10 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm Pongo wrote:
Hhmm - you hum, are you a dosser ?
On 10 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm Stench wrote:
Groom of the stool
On 10 Oct 2017 at 9:20pm Pedro wrote:
@ Mikes Motors - 'last word' is your game chap, not mine. I'm happy to debate in threads about anything, and if you want to talk cannabis, thats cool by me I love the peculiar nature of some people on forums. Human behaviour fascinates me.

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

HS2 springs to mind. What a waste of money and environment. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa