Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

gas

On 28 Sep 2009 at 11:55pm Pippa alpha wrote:
Our road is being fitted with replacement gas mains and stuff by Morrisons or whatever they are called; we've got new white meter boxes, and these amazingly dangerous looking copper pipes under the front doorsteps.... Is this legal I wonder...? It's incredibly dodgy work - never seen anything like it. Think we're being legged over. Please come and visit for a laugh.

On 28 Sep 2009 at 11:59pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Copper is very expensive. If I were you I would keep a vigilant eye out in case undesirables steal it and sell it as scrap.
On 29 Sep 2009 at 12:05am Registered Gas Installer wrote:
You both sound like you really know what your talking about.

On 29 Sep 2009 at 12:29am Your friend In the North wrote:
Photograph it, if you think it is dodgy. When workman dug a hole outside my place, they broke the gas pipe, and sat in the hole, mobile phoning for help, and having a fag break, so RGI should be a little less patronising.

On 29 Sep 2009 at 8:05am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I had to chuckle at the sign in Offham Road about "essential gas main replacement". It's heartening to know they don't do these things just for fun.
On 29 Sep 2009 at 8:37am Sherlock wrote:
These people act like amateurs. They announced earlier this year that they'd be installing the white meter boxes on houses in the conservation area without first seeking permission from LDC, as they are legally obliged to do. I dread to think what the quality of their work is like.

On 29 Sep 2009 at 9:39am Pippa alpha wrote:
Ok I wrote that after a drinky last night; but I do mean it about the pipes.
Never seen the like: exposed copper pipes under a doorstep, coming from the house then into the garden wall. It looks.... odd. Won't it be a bit dangerous when it gets frosty/kicked/etc? And how can you do that sort of work in a conservation area?
I'd like to post a photo - can I do it on this site?

On 29 Sep 2009 at 9:48am Gas Bill wrote:
so your pipes are all above ground? Sounds a bit strange. I think Bradford Rd residents had a bit of a showdown over the white boxes in a conservation Area, but can't remeber the outcome. Maybe call LDC Conservation Officer.

On 29 Sep 2009 at 12:42pm Prick Stein wrote:
Unfortunately planning permission is not required for the utilities companies to install the white boxes even in a conservation area. Complain to the Government or get Norm to

On 29 Sep 2009 at 1:27pm Lets Do Lunch! wrote:
What is the point of a Conservation area when the utilities can ride roughshod over everyone else?
It's little wonder that the Conservation Officers just conserve their own energy.

On 29 Sep 2009 at 2:30pm Sherlock wrote:
Prick Stein - LDC told me that utilities do have to seek permission to install the white meter boxes on the outside of listed buildings in a conservation area and that it is illegal not to do so. If they've told you something different let me know and I'll take it up with them.
On 29 Sep 2009 at 3:09pm spongebob wrote:
Dum dum dum (done in a dramatic kettle drum stylee) "no sh1t sherlock" to the rescue

On 29 Sep 2009 at 3:51pm Sherlock wrote:
Thanks Spongebob - nice to see you taking an interest in something serious. I hate it when you waste your valuable time on trivia.

On 29 Sep 2009 at 7:00pm spongebob wrote:
You're welcome, i do love a super hero

On 29 Sep 2009 at 10:18pm Geoff wrote:
the dynamic seems to be that spongebob is someone a bit dim, with too much time on his hands and who can't cope with other people being right. I suspect he works for LDC planning :-)

On 30 Sep 2009 at 12:07am Brixtonbelle wrote:
I think I prefer copper pipes to white plastic. If they are going to be out of sight what's the problem ? I would only worry if they decide to charge you for the pipes - copper is scarce and very expensive !

On 30 Sep 2009 at 9:37am LTR wrote:
The leaflet i was sent shows the pipes underground leading to the property, and only rising to reach the meter. The leaflet says "we are fully committed to the care of the environment' which should include the historic environmnet, and the number you can call if you are concerned about what they are doing is 08450701431

On 30 Sep 2009 at 9:38am RGI wrote:
You all want nice warm houses this winter but moan about the pipework. Maybe the gas will magically float all the way from Russia right to your boiler. Would that please you?

On 30 Sep 2009 at 10:41am Penguin wrote:
Think you are missing the point RGI. These properties already had a gas supply which was replaced. The original supply was not obtrusive or in an apparant dangerous or unsightly position. What was wrong with positioning the new pipes where the old ones were ?

On 30 Sep 2009 at 11:06am Pippa alpha wrote:
The new pipes run under the doorsteps, ready to be kicked or knocked or whatever. Some houses have the pipe running completely along the front of the property - they definitely aren't out of site Brixtonbelle. It looks like a Victorian Jules Verne thing constructed by an Eastern bloc national utility firm. If anyone can tell me how to post a photo on here, I'll stick one up.

Morrisons have been round this morning, the neighbours are kicking up a stink. Good job otherwise they'll be rolling this out all over Lewes soon I guess.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:23am LTR wrote:
Don't say where your house is, but can you tell us which street. I am fascinated to see, as my house is going to be done too. Am a little concerned! I don't think you can post photos on here.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:26am LTR wrote:
Oh, and the nasty sarcasticresponses of RGI indicate that he/she might be the person who installed your wierdly inappropriate pipes. If not, the 'you should think yourself lucky' attitude is the kind of dumb excuse you get from a cowboy, when you challenge their work!
On 1 Oct 2009 at 9:22am RGI wrote:
No RGI knows more about gas than a member of the public, especially one such as yourself ltr. If it's not too much trouble, perhaps I could come to you for advice. You obviously know you LEL's from your UEL's.
On a serious level, a lot has changed over the years (and is still changing) regarding the gas regs. I don't know the street, but I would imagine that most of the meters were under the stair as they were years ago. This is longer allowed and they have to be fitted externally hence the boxes, pipework, and cries of shame. All this is done for the safety of the public. And no, I have nothing to do with that side of things, l but I will be ripping you off when your boiler packs up on Christmas Eve

On 1 Oct 2009 at 9:59am Cynic wrote:
Safety of the public ? How does that work then ? They still have their appliances inside their houses, and its the gas inside the house that is dangerous, not the meter. I can't quite see what the lower or upper explosive limits have to do with the meter being inside or outside either, unless you are saying that the meters are going to leak. Perhaps you could expand on the 'safety' issue RGI. Maybe, just maybe, the meters are being put outside to make reading them easier ? Certainly the bloke that last came to read my meter was so large he could hardly get under my stairs let alone bend over to read the meter.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 10:28am RGI wrote:
Well as you're so clever, why don't you tell me? You can find out one of the reasons if you ask a fireman!

On 1 Oct 2009 at 11:51am Geoff wrote:
RGi, I am sure you have some knowledge of gas pipes, but you are making bold comments about Pippa's gas paipes, without haveing even see them, and from that deduced that we are all moaners, who don't have a right to be a little worried about something as potentially dangerous as a gas installation. For all you know, these pipes may actually be completely apalling, becuase it does sometimes happen. Your failure to simply suggest that if Pippa is worried, she should check usiung the safety telephone line, is dangerous in itself. I am sure you wouldn't expect a blind person to tell us if pipes were safely installed, but that is exactly what you have been doing.
Pippa, if you are still worried, just call the number, and at least reassure yourself, and let us know the outcome.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:05pm MC wrote:
The most likely explanation for placement of the copper pipes above ground is to cut costs by not having to dig a hole. I'm have thought that Morrisons would be well aware of the gas regulationss and will be observing them and that therefore above-ground horizontal runs of copper pipe are allowed for running gas to a gas meter located on the outide of a private residence.
The copper pipe will tarnish quite quickly so will not be noticeable for very long.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:11pm Silent wrote:
RGI - Have you got a permanent hangover headache or have you just taking lessons from Spongebob?

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:20pm pippa alpha wrote:
Apparently Norman Baker was contacted, the head honcho of Morrisons or some other gas outfit is coming to visit today.
It's Morris Rd for any gas pipe tourists out there, the far end, but spreading slowly down the street towards the rest of you. They stick these pipes in your front garden if you don't want your floorboards ripped up.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:23pm windows wrote:
We've had major delays with our gas main works. Apparently someone threatened the workmen with a knife and now they have stopped work. This happened weeks ago. The works started in May!!
Plus they are replacing the meter boxes and its in the conservation area.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 12:26pm LTR wrote:
let us know what the result is. Has put Morris Rd on the tourist map though. You had better get a coffee shop

On 1 Oct 2009 at 1:50pm Cynic wrote:
Actually RGI, I am not claiming to be cleverer than anyone, it is you implying that Pippa and others don't know what they are talking about. I simply asked you to expand on the statement that you had made, but obviously can't, despite trying to make out that you are an expert and we are all stupid. Obviously I can't answer the question myself - if I knew what you were talking about then I wouldn't be asking you would I, and there are no firemen handy to ask. So come on, if you are as knowledgable as you would have us believe, give us the benefit of your expertise and answer the question. Alternatively, if you can't anwer it, then maybe you should stop making brash statements to try and make yourself look clever.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 4:19pm down and out wrote:
I believe that the reason the regs changed such that meters and stopvalves have to be outside was particularly to do with instances where there's an interruption to supply. The gas companies have to be able to make sure that all individual properties are isolated before they switch the supply back on. If the stop is internal they'd have to smash your door down. (Someone is on holiday, gas supply gets interrupted, pilot light on boiler goes out, gas company switches gas back on, house goes BANG).
My understanding of planning law in relation to this is that consent is required for listed buildings / conservation areas but cannot unreasonably be withheld for legally necessary safety works. In short, if you can point to a public part of your property (down a side passage?) where you could accept the cabinet, you might be able to force that as an alternative.
Looking forward to when they start on East Street. That'll be very pretty...

On 1 Oct 2009 at 5:04pm Cynic wrote:
Thanks Down and Out, you have explained it very clearly. Maybe RGI should take a leaf out of your book rather than just being objectionable.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 7:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd love an external meter. Ours are in an understairs cupboard only a small midget could get into, and that's behind a sofa. I have to pull the heavy sofa out every time they come to read the meters.

On 1 Oct 2009 at 7:15pm Pippa alpha wrote:
On my part the problem isn't with the meters, you can stick plants in front of them. But its these dangerous looking pipes that seem odd to me.

On 2 Oct 2009 at 9:27am Down and Out wrote:
The thing that I must admit I find slightly bizarre about the new regs is that, in the name of safety, there is now a greater number of gas pipes visible externally, coming up through the pavement into the box.
Particularly in Lewes - I mean, would a well placed rookie take out a joint in the pipework? That could be catastrophic.

On 2 Oct 2009 at 6:56pm RGI wrote:
The white 'pipe' on the inlet side of the box is actually a GRP sleeve that protects the plastic pipe that passes through it. You can hit this with a hammer and cause no damage, very tough stuff. Copper outlet pipework also very resilliant to damage. Pretty rookie proof I'd say.
I'm impressed with your knowledge regarding meter positioning. The other points for it being external are that the fire brigade can turn off the gas should your house catch alight, and as mentioned it can be read at any time. One other reason is that it prevents gas theft/fraud.

On 3 Oct 2009 at 4:50pm LTR wrote:
Well Piipa, certainly isn't an over anxious moaner. I took a look at these pipes today, and they do not inspire confidence. Numerous white plastic clips, holding the pipes and complicated routing beneath the edge of wooden door thresholds may be cheapest, but seems very odd. Not sure I have ever seen anything like it. Shouldn't they be underneath the path? I certainly don't think it is odd to question all this, especially in a so-called conservation area. Maybe its safe, and maybe it passes some kind of regulation, but it is certainly odd.

On 6 Oct 2009 at 11:39pm Another RGI wrote:
Probably looks odd to you LTR because you know f.uck all about what you're looking at.

On 7 Oct 2009 at 4:14am gasless wrote:
I'm pleased I don't have mains gas!! Sounds like it's a pain in the arse.

On 7 Oct 2009 at 10:17am Cynic wrote:
Probably looks odd to LTR because it actually does look odd, and because he is not a brain dead moron who thinks that being abusive makes you some kind of expert.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Castle Penny 62:132
Lewes Castle Penny

The Jobcentres should go back to the old system they had in the seventies.
Fit young claimants were offered unskilled work in... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare