Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

female electrician

8
7
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:10pm zenobia wrote:
Hi I used the female electrician, being a feminist, sorry to say it has been a saga and I am not happy. Not least as my son feels he has been vindicated in his derision of the whole idea of marketing as female electricians.
I am also disillusioned
14
6
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:13pm Oh wrote:
Oh dear Mr Electrician, taking your jobs are they....haha get over it
16
16
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:18pm Hmmm wrote:
Imagine if I advertised myself as ‘Male Electrician’. Do you think half the women on here would be up in arms and calling me a sexist pig? I think they would. Why then is it ok for women to do it? Just asking, in the interests of equality.
11
11
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm Hot Spark wrote:
@hmmmPerhaps because for centuries women have been the underdog and chained to the kitchen, dealing with A holes like weinstein..perhaps we are getting our own back.
5
5
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm Pedro wrote:
Ahh, you just can't beat a bit of myopic false equivalence on a Friday to kick off the weekend.
8
9
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:31pm zenobia wrote:
I think the idea is that most people expect an electrician to be male and I would like to support women doing unusual work. Unfortunately my experience on this occasion was bad.
I have also had bad male plumbers builder doctors as well as good.
2
6
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:50pm Rupert wrote:
Are their any male professors of Women's Studies yet? I can't see any reason why not. Likewise there is no reason a woman can't be a very good electrician or anything else. Basing your advertising on your sex is however creating a hostage to fortune. Why not advertise as a transgender carpenter or non binary decorator. It might work I suppose?
4
5
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:54pm zenobia wrote:
There may be male professors of womens studies, but can they rewire my house?
Seems to me that most experts on anything are male, including Rupert?
6
7
On 20 Oct 2017 at 1:33pm Hmmm wrote:
On the subject of equality, I have just been reading about that Japanese custom of Shironuri which involves painting the face white. Are the same people that got so upset about ‘blackface’ a few weeks ago, going to get similarly outraged about ‘whiteface’? After all, in the case of Bonfire they insisted that tradition was no excuse.
7
14
On 20 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm Bert wrote:
What is black and crispy hanging from the ceiling ?
A female electrician ?
4
4
On 20 Oct 2017 at 5:03pm Pedro wrote:
Bert "Manning" - always can count on you to supply the most modern jokes.
3
5
On 20 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm Hmmmm wrote:
I take it from the thumbs down that people think it’s ok the other way round. Now there’s equality for you.
3
6
On 21 Oct 2017 at 9:10am Not a feminist woman wrote:
I am so fed up with this equality stuff if you are capable of doing a so called man's job that is great but why do u feel the need to put female before the description of your job surely u are setting yourself apart yet again. and just to say years ago some women didn't want so called mens jobs because it meant they couldn't look smart and well kept as in secretary etc. And to be fair some of the women doing so called mens jobs look like men anyway ! Not all just some.men are so confused now days if they hold a door open for a woman she might say thank you or don't u think I can open a door for myself!? Well what do u want ladies make your mind up ! Men are not moaning house husbands are not up in arms or male nurses male ballet dancers etc they just get on with it.if you can do a so called man's job thats fantastic just get on with it!
2
4
On 21 Oct 2017 at 11:04am Pedro wrote:
Some white men want to forget (relatively recent) historical oppression as rapidly as possible, but retain the status quo given the still significant advantage they (we) hold. Its rather insecure and pathetic really (not to mention deeply selfish), that nonsense like this bothers them so much - what a bunch of indignant self-absorbed knuckle draggers. The same rubbish that deeply interferes with their daily lives like maybe having to consider that some people (a small minority, which these moaning windbags are highly unlikely to encounter anyway) wish to not identify as the gender they were born into. Oh no!! The world is coming to an end because of LGBT equality, or the liberation and progression of womens rights! Us men have it sooooooo tough don't we?! Excuse me, I need to vomit.

Meanwhile, in the real world, famine and poverty exists everywhere, inequality deepens in many areas, while the wealthy significantly increase their own influence and bank balances. Cruelty to animals, child trafficking, slavery and genocide are rife....yet instead lets decide to get worked up about the possibility of a transgender person, being in the next toilet cubicle to us, or that a woman has started up a niche business aimed at promoting her electrician services, giving some customers the option if they perhaps feel uneasy about a male stranger coming into their home.
2
2
On 21 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm Saintly A Hole wrote:
...and here endeth the sermon
2
4
On 21 Oct 2017 at 12:58pm Hmmm wrote:
Good grief Pedro, I used to respect your opinion on a lot of things, but with all the tenuous arguments you spout nowadays you are just getting annoying. Who even mentioned LGBT, let alone slavery, cruelty to animals, or toilet cubicles.
We are simply discussing why there’s is a need to state your gender as part of your profession, and whether equality is a two way thing, or if it only applies if you are a white, heterosexual man.
5
4
On 21 Oct 2017 at 1:27pm Pedro wrote:
@ hmmm - its not tenuous, its a reflection of the mindset of some people today (usually on the right), who find their position in life threatened by progressive movements seeking equality. Often unfounded fear based on ignorance and paranoia.

I've already explained why a female electrician, in a male dominated industry (in terms of providing the trade), may be desirable to some female clients who feel uncomfortable with male strangers coming into their homes (and therefore, a relatively niche market worthy of exploration in a crowded space). Considering the vast majority of people in these professions are indeed men, it would not really seem worth stating they are blokes....but it still doesn't stop some having "man" in the title of their private sole-trader businesses. For example "man in a van" is a local trader - I'm not sure this has been vehemently opposed by feminists. You're trying to find arguments where theres little to no substance or worthy complaint beyond trivial pettiness and paranoia. Meanwhile, there are things that occur in this country and beyond, that are indeed worth getting upset and frustrated about that make topics like this pale into insignificance.
3
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 3:06pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
Yawn Pedro are you a woman ?
3
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 3:09pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
Hmmmm is right. this is why the world of political correctness has gone mad because people like you make it into a bigger deal don't add other genders etc no one mentioned that.
3
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 3:39pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
I'm sorry I'm gonna have to talk about one of the subjects Pedro wrote about .it's not a transgender person in the next toilet cubicle we worry about it's the perverts and paedophiles that could put on a dress and pretend to be one ! Sounds far fetched but knowing the world now it could happen.we all (especially parents ) have enough to worry about in this world so again it's not trangenfers in the next toilet cubicle we worry about it's about a new way to get to harm someone pedro
2
4
On 21 Oct 2017 at 3:53pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
And to hotspark just want to say first of all under no circumstances am I condoning anything here at all but when you mentioned weinstein.i just find it odd that all the women who have come out about this are doing very well in their acting profession.!!!+Because I can honestly say if a man made me feel uncomfortable or said I would never make it in Hollywood If i told or wouldn't agree to something i wouldn't care one bit I would tell someone or go to the nearest police station.but maybe their careers meant more! Just saying. mwah
2
3
On 21 Oct 2017 at 3:57pm Pedro wrote:
@ "not a feminist woman" - you know the answer to that (re my gender), and I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. I'll give you some time to think up an argument.

As for "political correctness gone mad" - what/who has made a bigger deal of what? You just use a vacuous and overused expression about "political correctness", but like with most people that use that term ad-nauseum, don't really understand what it means. It just becomes yet another thoughtless expression from long term abuse within a paranoid right-wing echo chamber.
3
6
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:04pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
Oh my god Pedro stop ! I only asked if u were a woman in case u were getting upset because you yourself were a transgender.and you seem to be the king (or queen ) of starting arguments and bringing up other things that have nothing to do with the subject.
5
6
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:07pm Help wrote:
In the name of all that is holy pedr0, please shut the ferking hell up.
 
4
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:11pm NGK wrote:
Hotspark me baby. 1kv.
1
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:16pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
Only if u buy me dinner first!?
3
 
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:18pm Pedro wrote:
@ not a feminist woman - there is literally no evidence of unisex toilets (which all have locked cubicles anyway), or permitting transgenders to use the bathroom with the gender they identify with (in places where its already written into law), has become a sexual predatory issue. Its nonsense to sexualise the toilet in the first place. Take a moment to think how ridiculous it is, and I'm sorry that you fear highly unusual worst case scenarios, but the reality doesn't confirm your fears. I suspect its just prejudice that forms many of these beliefs, and the pace of change in our society.

Its curious to me that some of the same people who fear these far-fetched outcomes, are quick to mock "health and safety" measures in many other walks of life though, ridiculed as extreme "nanny-state" stuff, or "elf n' safety gone maaaad". I guess they don't really see the enormous contradictions, because it would involve thinking.
2
7
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:26pm Help wrote:
This thread has confirmed for me that pedr0 is a troll.
1
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:36pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
Pedro Pedro Pedro omg you are exhausting! Yet I always feel the need to reply.damn you sweetie.ok here goes Pedro locked cubicles mean nothing. And I AM talking about transgender using toilets with the gender they identify with!!!! And may not be an issue YET until some dangerous person thinks of it! And as for toilets shouldn't be sexualized.thats your opinion as that is yours. And how dare you say that I fear unusual worst case scenarios.YOU take a moment to think about all the shocking things that happen in the world today that years ago would have been a highly unusual worst case scenario! It's Not prejudice it's life!
1
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:53pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
And @help I think you could be right.! Pedro do you live under the bridge in lewes?
3
 
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm Pedro wrote:
@ "not a feminist woman" - There have been men disguising themselves as women to access womens changing rooms/toilets since time immemorial. To punish transgenders for the exploitative perversions of some men would be hugely unfair and pointless as it would really make no difference either way to outcomes.

Yes, its my opinion that toilets are for bowel or bladder movements, I think most people would agree! You are over-sexualising the toilet, as you believe it to be a hotbed of opportunity for sexual predators - seems to be a bit of a fantasy when you consider the statistics just don't lend themselves to back up your fears.

What things happen today that never happened "years ago"? Humans have been doing awful horrendous stuff to each other since the dawn of homo-sapiens. Now, its fair to say we are "exposed" to more occurrences due to the computer age and access to 24/7 global news media, but bad stuff has always happened, just less likely we would have heard about it. You do realise paedophiles have always existed, even in the "good old days"??
 
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:08pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
PUNISH TRANSGENDERS! NO PEDRO IT'S THE EVIL IM TRYING TO PUNISH don't you dare put what I'm saying in a different context ! I tell you what Pedro by doing that it's making you dangerous!
1
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:14pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
Pedro why do you have to talk down to people? Do not patronize me. And as for "the good old days" I'm not THAT OLD of course peodophiles have always exsisted! I'm just trying to say that evil people now use any means they can to get to what they want.im sorry I'm not like you and I just accept what going on .And you seem to be the blinkered one not me.
1
6
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:18pm Jeez wrote:
If you tried really hard Pedro I’m sure you’d be able to grasp the right end of the stick.
 
5
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:20pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
And exactly u said it yourself about men dressing up as women to get into changing rooms etc so now it will get easier for them if the law changes because no one will question it! And no i can't back up yet because the law has not been passed here .here u go again I have never mentioned evil never used to exist.
 
8
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:28pm Not a feminist woman wrote:
But you know what Pedro Shame on me you have succeeded in taking me off the thread I originally posted on.well done there you go finished with your little rant now or is it your time of the month.WHOOPS THAT WAS SEXIST sorry
5
1
On 21 Oct 2017 at 5:32pm Pedro wrote:
The "evil" you mention has no bearing or relation to LGBTQ rights though. Unisex bathrooms or bathrooms where liberal transgender laws have been established already, have not led to any increase in the kinds of dangers that you fear. By wishing to turn back the clocks on progress already made....you are only harming the LGBTQ community, and not reducing anyone elses risk to even offset that. The only people who would benefit are people who feel uncomfortable with transgender people - that is bigotry.

As for me talking down to people - given that I've been continually abused and insulted on this forum by a peculiar bunch of anonymous strangers, you can surely forgive me for being occasionally acerbic and direct in my responses at times. I'm not talking down to you when I repeat that some human beings have been evil and using various means to exploit others for hundreds of thousands of years. These methods have evolved as we have, but the same evil intent hasn't been bred out, unfortunately. This doesn't mean we should resort to hysteria though, just because we happen to be well informed of individual human failings due to modern news coverage.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Beer garden 9:132
Beer garden

HS2 springs to mind. What a waste of money and environment. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo