Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

explosions at the prison today

On 29 Oct 2016 at 10:27pm prison neighbour wrote:
Did anyone hear all the explosions at the prison today around 3:30-4:00pm. Sounded like fireworks going off in a metal container but could have been rapid fire gunshot. It happened three times. I see on the news that there was a rampage.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 8:30am You caught a fish wrote:
It's probably related to this...

Check it out here »
On 30 Oct 2016 at 8:48am A Person wrote:
By all accounts - from people I know who work there - it's been brewing for a while. Low pay and no affordable housing makes it hard to recruit so they've been bussing staff in from other prisons to plug the gap. There's been no education since April because it's just not safe.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 9:25am Robert wrote:
How on earth can a modern prison be allowed even to operate, incarcerating people who are vulnerable and (from countless statistics) ill-schooled, often illiterate, without an education programme? For SIX MONTHS, there has been no teaching? Nothing beneficial for these prisoners to do? That's making them even MORE of a burden on society when they get out.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 9:52am A Person wrote:
Yes Robert, that's my understanding. And there's no prospect of education resuming any time soon either. I agree: it's a complete scandal.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 10:53am Ginger wrote:
If you can't do the time ,
On 30 Oct 2016 at 11:04am bob wrote:
So you feel sorry for the criminal and not the poor victim of their thuggish crime? get a life mate
On 30 Oct 2016 at 1:10pm The Greek wrote:
Tory cuts
On 30 Oct 2016 at 2:06pm Realist wrote:
People are in prison for a reason - and it's not to receive an education!
On 30 Oct 2016 at 2:23pm dirke wrote:
So bob and Realist seriously want these people to come out of prison and immediately re-offend? Sorry, obviously lacking a few common-sense brain cells there...
On 30 Oct 2016 at 3:32pm Gladis wrote:
I agree, the way we treat prisoners is terrible, they are human beings not animals. They shouldn't be locked up all the time, I firmly believe that they should be able to come and go from prison and perhaps allowed into Lewes. They should only return to prison during the day for restorative work, education and bed. Being allowed out into the community will help them adapt more, kill the boredom and perhaps help them find work too. I have no objects with prisoners wondering around Lewes.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 4:02pm SHS wrote:
Well Gladis havwe you ever been a victim of a crime? If your friend had to spend the rest of there life in a wheelchair or was raped, would you want to make friends with the perpetrator and ensure the rest of his life was happy and comfortable? What about the VICTIM ?!
On 30 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm Cortina wrote:
I think gladis has a point but I would only allow out non violent prisoners.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm A Person wrote:
How does it help the VICTIM if someone comes out of prison even more brutal than when they went in? How does it help the VICTIM if they're illiterate and incapable of holding down any kind of job? We would, presumably, like there to be fewer crimes and fewer criminals in society at large? Well then, shall we try to reduce the likelihood that the first thing they'll do on release is commit another crime? Does that seem like a good idea?
On 30 Oct 2016 at 5:11pm Deer Hunter wrote:
Prison is very draconian and hasn't moved on from Victorian times. Too many people cooked up in one small space is good for no one and only leads to frustration and Psychological problems. There should be more day releases into the community we as a whole need to give these people responsibility and some compassion.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 6:18pm Steve wrote:
SHS - Grow up, you're spouting absolute garbage - get some education.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 6:19pm dunce wrote:
Didn't realise they had Sky TV in victorian times thanks Deer hunter
On 30 Oct 2016 at 6:42pm Gladis wrote:
Yes I have been a victim of crime but I can forgive and move on.
On 30 Oct 2016 at 8:50pm Cassidy wrote:
OMG I hope the prisoners are ok?
On 30 Oct 2016 at 9:34pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I have been to Lewes Prison and have some experience of the justice system (not as an inmate, I hasten to add) and there are a lot of people who are there because of mental illnesses and learning difficulties. Prison officers get very frustrated because they are underfunded and, as one said "I joined this service to look after prisoners, not be a psychiatric nurse." In my experience, there is a core of 'bad' people who need to be kept apart from society, but most can be reformed if you catch them early enough. Many can't read and write properly, so finding a job is a real challenge. If prisoners aren't helped by their mid-20s, they start to become used to the system and prison no longer holds any fear for them. We need to completely rethink the system.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 9:53am Lion king wrote:
I no a couple of people currently serving time in lewes prison and they spend most there day on Facebook on there mobile phones uploading photos of them working out, drinking, smoking and having a laugh. I think there doing just fine.I don't think they need to be able to pop in to town for a jolly as they would then be pretty much living the same life as me... without the bills!!!
On 31 Oct 2016 at 10:23am A Person wrote:
Perhaps you should be reporting them instead of boasting on here then? Mobile phones are forbidden in prison (as you presumably know perfectly well). In fact, all you're doing is confirming that the prison system has broken down entirely, and a big part of that is due to terrible staffing problems.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 10:52am Lion king wrote:
Well I'm not boasting Im just telling you what I no and have seen its nothing to do with me and I'm not doing the job for them it's there job to stop this happening not mine. The system is a joke. A friend of mine worked in a prison elsewhere for 13 years and said now due to staff shortages and employing the new ones who to scared to do the job the cons now run the inside. To be fair who would want to risk harming themselfs for a meer 18k a year.
On 31 Oct 2016 at 4:10pm Situational awareness wrote:
We all know the prison system is broken, it's no great secret, the best way to manage it is to run a happy ship so there's no mutiny with the cons. Let them have their cake in this case mobile phones etc, it keeps the peace and everyone is happy. They are no different to us, I would quite happily have them walking around Lewes town centre.,
On 31 Oct 2016 at 7:40pm La bon feur wrote:
Here's something to consider.
Nations with brutal prison regimes have high crime rates.
Nations with rehabilitation focussed prison regimes have low crime rates.
If the string them up brigade were right it would be the other way around.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

Ignoring unhelpful name calling and relying on government statistics which show that the delta variant is the Indian variant... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan