Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

endangered species

 
5
On 5 Mar 2013 at 1:31pm not so famous person wrote:
david attenboroughs next series will be a visit to all cities in briton to find the anglo saxon
 
6
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:19pm AFH wrote:
I wonder how many DFL'S he might find on his travels? Or former Lewesians, driven out by said DFL's?
1
6
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:22pm nigel wrote:
Hopefully he picks the DFLs up and puts them back in theit habitat!!
 
1
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:31pm Compass wrote:
Hi Nigel, got any statistics for me yet ?
1
8
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:33pm 14-88 wrote:
as long as he can find any anglo saxons they can stay put hes got plenty of chance of finding afro caribs .indians .pakistanis the list goes on
5
1
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:36pm Compass wrote:
14-88 is that your IQ range?
5
2
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:43pm Southover Queen wrote:
Go on then, 14-88, go on with the list. You have my full attention.

What are you going to do about the Celts, by the way? They were the first occupants of these islands, after all. Clearly the Anglo-Saxons have a somewhat tenuous claim if you're wanting to go back to aboriginal Brits. (The Celts have retreated to the fringes of these islands now - so Irish, Western Scots and some Welsh for instance. I'm wondering whether we all need DNA testing to check on Celtic traces; I'll be fine with my ancestry, luckily)

By the way, you do know that the Aryans came from Northern India, don't you? And that our language, English, can trace its origins back to Sanskrit?
1
5
On 5 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm Sucka ma balls wrote:
I'm endangered. that tw@t from Lewes estates keeps sticking leaflets through my door telling me to let him sell my house to dfls
1
5
On 5 Mar 2013 at 6:50pm thor wrote:
3
 
On 5 Mar 2013 at 7:37pm Tedium wrote:
Sometimes this forum used to be interesting.
5
 
On 5 Mar 2013 at 7:46pm Yawn.... wrote:
But now the posts are by vacuous idiots with too much time on their hands whose existence is only validated by winding others up. All the interesting people seem to have left. Oh well. Easy to destroy. Much harder to create.
2
1
On 5 Mar 2013 at 8:37pm Yawn T O Dawn wrote:
Well done, finally realised that this forum is full of pus spewing idiots with nothing to say other than insult, abuse and destruct. Get a girlfriend, boyfreind, partner, read a book or go for a walk and get on with your amoebic existences
 
3
On 5 Mar 2013 at 8:42pm we will win wrote:
3
3
On 5 Mar 2013 at 8:45pm Southover Queen wrote:
There are two choices. The first is to leave them to it and the second is to go back to having proper conversations. I'd favour the second; otherwise the idiots really have taken over the asylum.
5
1
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:09pm One less DFL wrote:
...... with this bunch of Neanderthals but here goes they may have enough grey matter between their ears to work this one out but probably not and I won't bother reading their responses cos I've got better things to do.
I'm off, see yer goodbye. Can't be arsed with living in a Town which love to take a pop at pretty much anyone who hasn't got at least some of their ancestors bones buried in the Priory ruins. Oh no ! God forbid that might make them Catholic on top of everything else !!
Here's the thing, us DFLs probably didn't for the most part start our time on this planet as Londoners but ended up there for a variety of reasons, be they economic ( ie trying to make a life and income for ourselves in the great Metropolis or education (Pharr! Not that old chestnut). Anyway I'm sure a good majority of us have come from less that glamorous origins and we made our way down to this utopia via London with well meaning intentions of perhaps being part of an inclusive and welcoming community and actually maybe even adding in some small way to he richness and diversity of that community but hey! how naive. This is Your Town, you were born here this place belongs to You and You only. Quite right too.
2
2
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:16pm Bitter Wax wrote:
One Less, You seem to have a missing parenthesis
3
 
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:21pm One less DFL wrote:
Yea well! I'm not just a DFl I'm a DFL with poor grammar. My departure is clearly long overdue.
1
1
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:44pm Tell Fibs wrote:
Thought you weren't going to read responses
1
1
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:49pm Deelite wrote:
Rather you than me SQ. These worthless people are not worth spending the time on. Maybe see you at Sceptics. Bye.

PS. If I wasn't convinced registration was required before I am now (I'm even coming round to castration)
1
2
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:54pm Southover Queen wrote:
Are you a SitP regular too then? That figures. I shall email you as requested by the way.
2
2
On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:58pm chuckles wrote:
you all been reeled in
1
 
On 5 Mar 2013 at 10:30pm --- wrote:
simpleton
3
 
On 5 Mar 2013 at 10:54pm grafter wrote:
Where did the idea that it was normal to live in the town you were born in come in? Most people move away from their childhood town don't they?Seems to me some folk are lacking in initiative and drive!
 
 
On 5 Mar 2013 at 11:18pm Harold wrote:
I thought the Celts were from middle Europe, was it them that drove out the Picts or have I the wrong way around
1
1
On 6 Mar 2013 at 9:53am Southover Queen wrote:
That's the point really, Harold. The first known examples of homo sapiens seem to have originated in East Africa. Humanity then spread in great waves of migration across the globe. The further those groups travelled from the equator the lighter their skin colour became - not because of some kind of superiority but because fair skins can made better use of scarcer sunshine to make vitamin D. People whose origins lie nearer the equator have darker skins because it offers more protection against sun damage. Darwinian natural selection at work.

Labelling people because of an accident of birth is ultimately completely pointless. It doesn't matter, except when it shows up the bigots for what they are, as it has in this thread. (I'm not sure what Darwin would have to say about the fact that the bigots can't spell or punctuate to save their miserable lives)

 
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 10:26am Famous Person wrote:
Loving it guys. We should meet up. You have some great material here.
1
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 10:51am Pedant wrote:
Call me old-fashioned, but if you're going to criticise someone for their spelling and punctuation, it probably makes sense to proof-read your own posts to catch errors such as 'made' and 'make' being confused. Just a thought.
 
2
On 6 Mar 2013 at 11:05am Pete wrote:
SQ....I think I'm falling in love with you...
 
2
On 6 Mar 2013 at 11:24am not so famous person wrote:
me to
 
2
On 6 Mar 2013 at 11:45am Southover Queen wrote:
Hello Lewes Lady aka Pedant!!!

I generally don't give a damn about spelling and punctuation, except where it obliterates the intended meaning. It may be a coincidence but it seems the more abhorrent your views the poorer your education, at least on this forum. I think my point is perfectly clear and even the eejits will have been able to understand it. It's such a shame that you don't wish to address the substantive issue rather than find one typo in my post and criticise that.

(Eejits: Glasgow or Irish slang for foolish, stupid or ill-educated person)
 
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 12:03pm Pedant wrote:
Sorry, you're wrong there. But I do recall others also picking up on examples of people not necessarily 'doing as they say'.
On the question of substantive issues, is DA making a new series as claimed at the top?
 
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 12:11pm GhostBike wrote:
"What are you going to do about the Celts, by the way? They were the first occupants of these islands, after all."
They weren't actually. The Celtic languages arrived a few hundred years before the Romans. The aboriginal British probably spoke something like Basque, as did the original inhabitants of much of NorthWest Europe including France, Northern Germany, the Low Countries and Scandinavia.
All of Europe is a mixing pot not just here.
 
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 12:16pm Kettle wrote:
Sq - see the film 'idiocracy' for an explanation in Darwinian terms
 
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 12:17pm GhostBike wrote:
Oh and 'Celtic' is a language group not an ethnic group, invented by a guy called Edward Lhuyd in the 18th century. He noticed the simliarites between the old British languages (Welsh and Cornish), Gaelic and extinct continental languages such as Gaullish. Before then, no-one had used the word celtic in relation to these islands. Certainly the Greeks had used the word 'Keltoi' to refer to the people they met in Southern Germany and Austria, but there is little evidence of the links between them and the then inhabitants of Britain.
1
2
On 6 Mar 2013 at 1:45pm Southover Queen wrote:
Blimey, Ghostbike. (a) I never claimed that the British Isles are unique in their marvellous genetic variety and the example of the Celts was given to suggest that there might be groups which predate the Anglo-Saxons. This was, after all, in response to someone who seems to think that the way forward is to remove anyone who is not of Anglo-Saxon ancestry. I should have said "a group which predates" rather than "aboriginal".

However I would sincerely take issue with you that the Celtic languages were "invented" by anyone. What was identified were the strong shared linguistic roots in the Breton, Cornish, Welsh and Gaelic languages, (which are all, incidentally, fine upstanding members of the indo-european group of languages) which also show the flows of migration across Europe which historically seemed to take root in these islands.

(b) I have never ever heard Basque advanced as the original language of Europe. If it were there would be a lot more traces showing up all over the place; I think it's just a remarkable survivor of a pre-IE language of which there were probably thousands.


 
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 4:10pm GhostBike wrote:
SQ, I was trying to point out:
Languages move much further and much more quickly than people. The Celtic languages (as did the anglo-saxon language) were probably spread by trade and elite movements rather than mass migration. Look at all the people who speak English in the world today: they are clearly not all descended from english speakers of the past. Secondly, the relationship of languages doesnt' necessarily imply any ethnic or cultural similarity at all; Finnish and Hungarian are part of the same group but it's impossible to see any similarity between the two countries at all. Lluhd noticed some simliarities which fed into the whole romantic 'celtic twilight' and the misty-eyed extremes of contemporary nationalisms - meaning that people talk about celtic civilisations and celtic empires dominating europe. Which is nonsense.
There's a book by Simon James called Atlantic Celts: Myth or LEgend. The BBC site I've linked to below is a summary, written by him.

Check it out here »
2
 
On 6 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm Southover Queen wrote:
Sorry, I'd misunderstood and yes, you're quite right, both about the romanticisation of "Celticnish" and the uncertain link between language and culture. I would say that this has been exacerbated by ease and speed of travel, and in ancient times the changes and influences would have been far slower and probably more linked to population (and ethnic) groups. And of course the Finno-Urgrian groups show as little similarity as do many of the Indo-European groups.

Phew. Deep breath! However that doesn't undermine the argument that the British Isles have been the focus of many great waves of immigration (as demonstrated by the diversity of linguistic influences) and it's pointless for our Pet Fascists to try to identify one group as being somehow the default aboriginal Brit.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Harveys Brewery Lewes 39:143
Harveys Brewery Lewes

If you can provide statistical evidence that crime has never been so high then blame austerity and write to Maria. Having a pop... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa