Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

door to door charities

On 17 May 2005 at 6:38pm cbs member wrote:
I think that door to door charities should be banned. Christian aid came round tonight to collect their envelope and you just feel pressured into putting money into it. Why should we, If I want to give to charity I will at my own discression and I dont think any one should be made to do it. I know it is a good charity to give to but at the moment charity does start at home. your views please...........

On 17 May 2005 at 8:34pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Couldn't agree more, cbs. Had one lot ring me up once asking if I'd deliever the envelopes then collect the dosh. It's not as if these outfits don't employ some very well paid people.

On 18 May 2005 at 5:56pm thylvethter wrote:
How you can feel 'pressured' by a bunch of ugly god botherers is beyond me. I must admit I've given them money before, but only to feel better about the obviously selfish and wasteful lifestyle I lead (and it works).
Not any more though - next time, do what I do - tell them you can't possibly support a church which failed to adequately condemn the Iraq war. Then rub it in by telling them you would have chipped in a fiver towards some kid's deaf-aid (or whatever) if they had.
You've got to agree though, an envelope through the door is far better than those charity-muggers ('chuggers') you get in the streets.
One last thing CBS, please please please don't trot out the 'charity starts at home' nonsense because it doesn't - selfishness starts at home.

On 18 May 2005 at 6:52pm me wrote:
One of the benefits of living in flats with a security door. When the charities come a calling just don't answer the entryphone. flaming "chuggers" should be banned. When i worked in the town centre i used to get hassled every time i needed to cross the pedestrian precinct, sometimes by the same people on the same day. "no i do not wan't to set up a direct debit giving *********** 2 a month"

On 19 May 2005 at 6:29am cbs member wrote:
Sorry I dont agree. feedimg and clothing my own family comes before any money grabing charity. so rather than feed your family you would put a fiver in a charity pot? I dont think so! I dont think that is being selfish! like tooth fairy said these charities employ some very well paid people and without these surely these charities would be a lot better off.

On 19 May 2005 at 8:04am me wrote:
i agree with cbs on this one

On 19 May 2005 at 8:44am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 60% of the contributions that Oxfam receive gets swallowed up in salaries, admin etc.

On 19 May 2005 at 1:58pm Thylvethter wrote:
I guess its all relative. If, as it sounds, you're struggling to feed and clothe your family then of course you wouldn't give to charities and nobody expects you to, that'd just be stupid. Maybe you should get in touch with christian aid, they might be able to help.
Truth is, there really aren't many people in this country in your position any more and people who say "charity starts at home" are usually the smug parents who think 80 spent on a kids trainers falls within that philosophy. It doesn't, its selfishness.
But I agree with you - don't give to a charity if you don't want to. God knows I'm selfish enough myself, but I'm not going to try to hide behind a tired & meaningless cliche.
And Tooth-Fairy, where do you get 60% from? And what else are you including in your "etc." - distribution costs? Import duties? Cynical as am towards Christians, I think unlikely their overheads are going to be more than any business organisation. It sounds like you've picked up one of those made-up statistics that nobody can support.

On 19 May 2005 at 2:09pm Thylvethter wrote:
I guess its all relative. If, as it sounds, you're struggling to feed and clothe your family then of course you wouldn't give to charities and nobody expects you to, that'd just be stupid. Maybe you should get in touch with christian aid, they might be able to help.
Truth is, there really aren't many people in this country in your position any more and people who say "charity starts at home" are usually the smug parents who think 80 spent on a kids trainers falls within that philosophy. It doesn't, its selfishness.
But I agree with you - don't give to a charity if you don't want to. God knows I'm selfish enough myself, but I'm not going to try to hide behind a tired & meaningless cliche.
And Tooth-Fairy, where do you get 60% from? And what else are you including in your "etc." - distribution costs? Import duties? Cynical as am towards Christians, I think its unlikely their overheads are going to be more than any business organisation. It sounds like you've picked up one of those made-up statistics that nobody can support.

On 19 May 2005 at 4:36pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
My cousins girlfriends window cleaner overhead it at the long room.

On 19 May 2005 at 7:13pm benoires wrote:
I'll correct you TF, see
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/aboutca/annrev/funding.html
Your argument would have much more impact if it only had an element of accuracy.

On 19 May 2005 at 7:30pm chav wrote:
Do what I do. Carry a few old Spanish Pesatas and rattle them in their pot. thats if I havent used them all sraying them gold and making fake sovereign rings.

On 19 May 2005 at 8:15pm benoires wrote:
sorry tf, you said oxfam - http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/downloads/report2004.pdf quotes 5%

On 19 May 2005 at 9:04pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
I stand corrected.

On 20 May 2005 at 8:42am chav wrote:
said the bloke with the new wooden leg

On 20 May 2005 at 12:01pm I-dont live-in-Lewes-anymore wrote:
Whether you do or don't give to a charity is a matter of personal choice... I don't have a problem with it. What I dislike with a passion is those bloody Jehova Witless who bang on my door asking if I read the Bible.
Last time, feeling pee'd off, I said I couldn't read. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
They went away defeated.
A few days later two more arrived to teach me literacy.

On 20 May 2005 at 1:06pm mickl wrote:
It obviously didn't work!

On 20 May 2005 at 1:43pm benoires wrote:
Christ-on-a-bike, do they still do that? I haven't seen any in years. I'd suggest you take every opportunity to berate, criticise and ridicule them while you can - you know Tony B-liar is going to make it illegal in this, his last term of office. (But then he would, he's one of the ugly brigade himself.)

On 29 May 2005 at 1:43pm paragon wrote:
Should that not be 'erected'? eg I stand erected

On 7 Jul 2005 at 9:28am Lewestrousers wrote:
I like the Jehovahs witnesses, I think it takes a lot of courage, to knock on doors and know they will be slammed in your face, or people will be rude to you. Yes there ideas may be misguided, but I have a soft spot for them and always invite them in in the hope of converting them to my way of thinking.
Years ago I was moving, and to a house that needed a lot of work, and a JH I had invited in asked me about this, after I had moved they tracked me down, and I was having problems with a builder, they brought round a JH builder who sorted it all out for nothing...there was never any pressure to join etc ..in fact after they solved everything I didn't hear from them for months, I beleived it was just an act of kindness...oh kay I am a bit niaive...

On 25 Aug 2005 at 5:54pm Does anyone look this far down anymore wrote:
Well do ya?

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Closet and Botts window 28:132
Closet and Botts window

One could say "alternative facts".....climate change is a hoax, i know so because the fossil fuel industry told me.

You just... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell