Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

denis healey generation

On 3 Oct 2015 at 11:18pm woody wrote:
whatever you felt about their politics that era of politicians seemed more natural - a life before Westminster. real people with real experience. I can remember seeing both Healey & Callaghan around Lewes, Jim with his bodyguard as an ex-Pm but both always pleased to be recognised & say hello.
On 4 Oct 2015 at 1:29am Woody wrote:
A different Woody posting here - but yes, Healey was a man of conviction. A politician before the days of spin.

On 4 Oct 2015 at 1:32am Woody wrote:
Having said that, I meant the 'spin' of the last 20 years.
On 4 Oct 2015 at 1:53am RBJ wrote:
He was more successful at cutting the deficit than George Osbourne.
On 4 Oct 2015 at 8:55am Sussex Jim wrote:
I met Jim Callaghan once, having a lunchtime drink in the Anglers' Rest. He was a very pleasant man.
Unfortunately, Denis Healey cut my take-home pay two years running in the late seventies,despite a large increase from my employer, due to his budgets raising income tax for even the lower paid. Labour- the party for the working man? I don't think so.
On 5 Oct 2015 at 2:07am wrote:
Are you talking about the days when we had free tertiary education, heavily subsidised prescriptions, subsidised rail, telephone and post services, a well funded NHS, a BBC free of commercial pressures?
The days in which YOU had subsidised council housing?

On 5 Oct 2015 at 7:15am Mystery person wrote:
you have hit the nail right on the head. It was good to grow up in those days then become a Tory when Maggie arrived. I'm of that generation but abandoned Labour due to Blair.

On 7 Oct 2015 at 1:54pm HeathClifford wrote:
So far as I can see from the obituaries, Healey was a career politician from the very start and his only experience outside politics was the war, about which he had little choice. Maria Caulfield on the other hand (and no, I didn't vote for her) worked for years as a cancer nurse in the NHS.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

commercial square badge 30:132
commercial square badge

is it me or is it more expensive in the south then the north ,go on ebay or any thing u fancy buying, and the southern people... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul