Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

cliffe fireworks

On 6 Nov 2008 at 5:06pm POPPY wrote:
What did everyone else think about this years fireworks ?
On 6 Nov 2008 at 5:12pm starburst wrote:
This year was crap, what went wrong.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 5:20pm Enoch wrote:
Should have been at CSBS - superb and second to none!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 5:22pm POPPY wrote:
Well i don't know maybe a new captian of fireworks ? or not enough money or time.
On 6 Nov 2008 at 6:09pm DAMP SQUIB wrote:
I paid £7 to watch that c--p, from what i heard i should have gone to commercial, how can they put on such a brilliant show, do they have more money than cliffe? how do i get a refund?

On 6 Nov 2008 at 6:47pm cbs member wrote:
A night of entertainment, great fireworks, brilliant costume displays. all for SEVEN pounds. Well Done Cliffe. A bloody good night.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 7:31pm therealalekid wrote:
Commercial Square was better last year, which was perhaps the best I've seen. This year it was only good in patches.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 7:38pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I watched from the town centre and had good views of the high aerials from Cliffe, CSBS and Southover. I felt that Cliffe and CSBS were the best, but cannot comment on the low level pyrotechnics.
The Cliffe fire was certainly very high - I could see the flames leaping above the tree tops - incredible!

On 6 Nov 2008 at 10:07pm Disappointed wrote:
I thought the firework display was of a much lower standard than usual. Maybe it was the weather or they didnt have a very big purse this year? Thought the Tableaux was excellent though. Probably give CSBS a go next year.

On 6 Nov 2008 at 11:36pm river boy wrote:
i went to the cliffe it was brillant . a little slow starting this may be due to weather . well one or two frends went to c s b s and said it was ok but not great

On 7 Nov 2008 at 8:53am Thomas Paine wrote:
I think BSs should keep up with the times and realise that it is noise pollution. Come on everyone let's be considerate to those who want to enjoy a quiet night in when they want to. I bet the technology is there for silent fireworks.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 9:22am Bonfire Billy wrote:
My sister went to the cliffes and I went to the boroughs. The cliffes she said was not worth the £7 she paid for it, the procession was boring and quite sad (no noise) and over all disappointing .The boroughs on the other hand was very loud and they seemed to be having fun, as for the fireworks a bit slow but lots of it, a bit like the panda garden.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 10:06am Borough Boy wrote:
The fireworks were a bit slow but this was due to the wet conditions. A lengthy shower an hour before they were due to go off didn't help much. This probably effected the other societies.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 12:08pm Phoenix wrote:
The police were heavy handed this year especially at the end in commercial square, a few arrests were spotted completely unprovoked!! If anyone was there, and witnessed any arrests, could they please contact me at natfras@hotmail.co.uk

On 7 Nov 2008 at 1:51pm Local man wrote:
Perhaps the cliffe have spent all thier money on the new piece of land ? Ihave always chosen to go to cliffes firesight, the atmosphere was great and the fire fantastic, the fireworks were a bit disappointing as opposed to other years. Waterloo's were apparently fantastic.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 1:53pm starburst wrote:
I can understand the cliff members saying it was great, thats loyalty for you. Bur if they genuinely thought it was great then what hope for next year. The memorial bit was a bit pathetic a bit of a damp squid and the actual display for £7 was in the words of my spanish friend who came over to see it " we put on a better show for birthdays". Come on cliffe you used to be the bees knees lets hope next year is better.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 2:04pm cbs member wrote:
same ol' story every year, ours were better than yours etc etc........

On 7 Nov 2008 at 2:17pm another cbs member wrote:
It seem to just come and go, thier was not alot of atmosphere, in fact people seemed more excited on badge night . It was nice to dry out at the firesite. Have seen better displays on that field I have to say. but its all personal choice.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 2:30pm CROSS wrote:
Look the Cliffe are just like an old pork pie left on the shelf to long. That is soft,, full of fat and distasteful to the touch.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 4:06pm juju wrote:
Its no easy job to plan and set up a firework display, the weather would not have helped and then for those that are setting it all off for the fisrt time its a hard task to follow some of the golden oldies. They try hard and things dont always work out.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 4:15pm FA wrote:
they've only had several hundred years to get it right eh juju ?......LMFAO

On 7 Nov 2008 at 5:34pm The Knowledge wrote:
eh, several hundred years? I guess that would end the argument on who was the oldest society.
It's always comforting to see the amount of bitching and back biting from people who consistently fail to stand up and be counted by taking on the responsibilities of these jobs towards the people who actually do.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 6:05pm Local man wrote:
From what I can see, the so called bitching and back bighting is coming from those of us that had to pay, so therefore we have a right to an OPINION, the same as if you had paid to see a concert and you thought it was poor. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 6:58pm Northern Bigot wrote:
Silent fireworks, a quiet night on the 5th !!! Where do they get these people ! Bonfire nights only been taking place for over 400 years and two of the Societies have been here for over 155 years! At least its not the papal effigy or banner these days! The opponents have all gone politically correct and its issues like pollution--none of them drive cars!!
The usual suspects who make anti bonfire remarks on every related thread pontificate on (can you still say pontificte?) . Bonfire will be here long after the whingers have gone! Who remembers the anti bonfire group "humanity United"? what a laugh they were!

On 7 Nov 2008 at 7:00pm Damp Squib wrote:
Most of the posts on this topic, are constrctive and harmless criticism. Cliffe is clearly not the strongest it has ever been, but it is not rubbish either. maybe next year they will spend their money differently, maybe they won't 7quid is not a lot to spend on what is an otherwise free spectacle. I don't go to any fire sites, but watch as many as i can from the town. Some displays are better than others in my opinion, but from best to worst there is not so much difference that I would get annoyed, and since the display is only part of the fun, I think you also need to consider the tableau, atmosphere, location etc etc.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 7:02pm Damp Squib wrote:
Weren't 'Humanity United' the football tean that Martin Elliott screwed before Lewes?

On 7 Nov 2008 at 7:15pm Jumpin Jack wrote:

Regardless of where you watched Bonfire you have to agree that £5 or 7 for a whole evenings vibrant entertainment is extremely cheap.
I noticed that a small village in a neighbouring county charged 12 admission for their event.
Realistic costs for Lewes societies would be 20 or 30 per head as, apart from purchasing fireworks, the societies could choose to calculate the hours of labour and materials for creating their wonderous effigies, torches, costumes etc.
To add to the final "Jack and Jill" we have to consider the cost of insurances.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 7:16pm Jumpin Jack wrote:
And to add to the above, how much for the cheapest firework selection box on sale at your local newsagent? Probably £20

On 7 Nov 2008 at 8:30pm juju wrote:
FA, how about you give it a go, spend months planning then find you have a bad batch and that everyone one wants to bitch because they didnt get their moneys worth and got wet waiting while things are attempted to be rectified. Lets forgo health and saftey, inssurance ect and just let any bugger have a go a letting them off. Its not easy there is no special formula that makes it all go right or wrong.

On 7 Nov 2008 at 11:30pm CSBSCBSWATERLOOBBSSOUTHSTREETNEVILL wrote:
There's only one Kevin Chapman, One Kevin Chapman, There's only one Kevin Chapman....
Thank f**k

On 8 Nov 2008 at 9:32am Enoch wrote:
Oh Please! Kevin doesn't need a bigger head!
Who remembers the Christian procession a few years back during the daytime on the 5th which bonfire members were encouraged to attend - not that we were busy or anything.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 9:34am WBS wrote:
And he is a twat

On 8 Nov 2008 at 3:05pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Very good points raised JJ. The problem is historicaly the public were used to entering the fire sites for free. But as everyones knows, nothing is for free. Insurance is now one of the major costs to the societies along with fireworks. Still the tight fisted public would rather stand on the causeway and watch Waterloos for free then moan that it wasn't very good.
If you added in labour costs then entering Lewes on the fifth would probably be fifty notes a piece.
Bonfire is run in good faith and no one gets paid a penny. So don't moan just enjoy it while you still can.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 3:21pm Enoch wrote:
Here Here, it also always amazes me how tight fisted the general public is when counting the street collection boxes. If everyone just put £1 in, the local charities would benefit a great deal more as all this money goes directly to charities.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 6:51pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Lol at people complaining at not getting their £7 worth. What about the poor bonfire society members who have to pay what, 15-20, AND do all the work, AND provide a costume, AND walk round all night in the rain - I think they get a worse deal.
It is still a fantastic night's entertainment.

On 8 Nov 2008 at 8:58pm Thomas Paine wrote:
Northern Biggottt - fireworks should be banned as a public nuisance and you know it!

On 8 Nov 2008 at 9:07pm Who Me? wrote:
I know who Poppy is. Tune in to this forum @ midday on Monday. I shall reveal all the dirt on the bearded wonder!

On 10 Nov 2008 at 12:00pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I thought Cliffe's fireworks were pretty decent as it happens. True there was something of a delay but I imagine that was down to all the rain and I was perfectly dry and warm standing in front of the fire. My only complaint would be that it wasn't quite loud enough...

On 10 Nov 2008 at 3:55pm from over the river wrote:
enoch, how are you?

On 10 Nov 2008 at 4:54pm Enoch wrote:
I am fine thank you From over the River.

On 10 Nov 2008 at 5:46pm from over the river wrote:
What's ur real name?

On 10 Nov 2008 at 7:08pm from over the river wrote:
I'd like to know who Enoch really is....hopefully we'll find out soon. As for the displays, spent the evening at landport and although there were some gaps between each of their firework pieces, once they had started it was impressive...or so the crowd thought!! Over the river it looked good for a while, but ended very quickly. So BBS on the hill too...and again over quickly and maybe they could have spent some of the extra money on fireworks rather than a stupid lazer. Couldn't see the Cliffe stuff from where we were, which is a first. What went wrong?

On 13 Nov 2008 at 1:06pm Lavender wrote:
It was a bit disappointing this year - the atmosphere wasn't as good as it has been (most likely due to the weather) it is a shame for all the people who worked hard all year. The fireworks were excellent when they got going though, I heard that one of the societies had to abandon their firework finale due to damp fuses....

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Station Lewes 110:132
Station Lewes

@tom pain, I didn't realise that the Tory party had pledged to revoke article 50. Fingers crossed they do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine
Brighton Jobs