Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

blue carrera bicycle

On Mon 8 Apr at 9:40pm Wendy Maples wrote:
A (new?) blue carrera bike is locked to the railings at the Winterbourne Close bridge (Winterbourne Hollow/Winterbourne Lane). I gather this is what bike thieves do: they cycle to a convenient point, dump the bike, then it gets picked up later as a 'found' bike.
On Mon 8 Apr at 10:31pm Tipex wrote:
I'm confused Wendy. Why bother stealing a bike, lock it to some railings then collect it at some point later? Surely they'd be better off simply nicking it and flogging it pronto?
On Tue 9 Apr at 11:45am The Old Mayor wrote:
I don't think they are as bright as that Tipex
On Tue 9 Apr at 2:15pm Wendy Maples wrote:
Apparently, it's a bit of an operation. They get a few people to go round an area, stealing as many bikes as possible. They then lock them (or not) somewhere that's easy for a van to come by and pick them all up quickly. The little triangle turn-around on Winterbourne Hollow is perfect for it. They then sell them out of the county. They go for new, high quality bikes. As I understand it, part of the logic is that they can say to the police that the 'bike looked abandoned'. The reason for not just taking A bike and selling it is that they aren't just opportunistically stealing the odd, unlocked bike, they are well organised and looking to steal a number of them.
Anyway, my hope in posting about the bike is that the owner might get it back or -- even nicer -- tell me that they have intended to lock the bike there and that it wasn't stolen at all...
On Tue 9 Apr at 10:31pm SnowflakeBikerGirl wrote:
Have none of you considered that advertising the whereabouts of a new looking bike might actually help thieves? Let’s not post the whereabouts of ‘expensive’ bikes on social media or forums.
Speaking of.... has anyone seen that lovely unlocked Mercedes in the High St recently?...
On Tue 9 Apr at 10:47pm Wendy Maples wrote:
Ah, SnowflakeBikeGirl -- the bike in question was locked.
On Tue 9 Apr at 11:55pm Basil wrote:
'As I understand it, part of the logic is that they can say to the police that the 'bike looked abandoned.'

So et's get this straight. They steal a locked bike. They lock it up somewhere else. Then take it. That way they can tell the police it looked abandoned. You see the flaw, don't you?

On Fri 12 Apr at 10:45am Tommy wrote:
@Basil - it's called plausible deniability

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 112:143
rye bonfire badge

Have you paid to advertise this? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan