Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

battle of Lewes

On 17 May 2014 at 9:36pm dissapointed wrote:
Anyone else think that the show was a bit poor today? Lack of information, lack of effort and a lack of organisation. speaking to a few "re-enactors" who also found a lack of information on where to go and when. hundreds of people down the Priory and no toilets. just a lack of thought and effort.
On 17 May 2014 at 9:52pm The Old Mayor wrote:
It was odd seeing the odd old peasant wandering aimlessly around town this afternoon. Some of them actually looked like they may have been around in 1264 AD
On 17 May 2014 at 10:05pm Daydreamer wrote:
Shambles comes to mind. Times were all over the place visitors running around the town not knowing what's was going on where - was there a grant for this event if so where did the money get spent ? For the people that did take part well done.
On 17 May 2014 at 10:57pm damontfort wrote:
Me and my lot had great fun. Bit warm mind. Enjoyed the turd dodging going through the barbican. Skull caps off to the re-enactors, thanks guys. Great free show
On 17 May 2014 at 11:49pm White cross wrote:
No funding at all as far as I know.... all off of the backs a few good souls doing their bit for the town. If you were left feeling dissaponted, then your involvment in organising the next free comunity event would be very much welcomed.
On 18 May 2014 at 3:15am Will Sommers wrote:
If the event wasn't funded then surely it should of been..
Who paid for the Road Closure, Policing, Advertising etc etc ?
On 18 May 2014 at 6:44am Guppy wrote:
You need to shift your understanding of the event - no-one paid for entry, and it wasn't put on for the public or tourists. Just like bonfire, little effort was put into attracting people along the route to watch it. As far as I know the event was self-funded by local groups and people that took part. When you understand that, maybe it'll make more sense. Well done everyone, you did a great job and this observer loved it.
On 18 May 2014 at 7:02am Angel wrote:
A lack of effort? Who from exactly? The DFLs who don't contribute but complain about a free event not being good enough, or from the thousand people who put time and enthusiam into making sure this didn't pass without a big celebration?
On 18 May 2014 at 7:35am DJ wrote:
The medieval village on the Railway Land was a joke. Apparently they did get a grant of some sort.
On 18 May 2014 at 7:53am FrED UP wrote:
Self indulgent shambles. Thought we would support this unique event. Arrived at the gallops for the start of the first vignette at 1.30. At 1.25 people were already leaving !!. This was the same all through the event with participants not knowing where to stand / stop. My wife went down for the finale at 4.15 at that too had started early. The fayre last week was the same. A pay to enter event and the participants sent those that attended up the bank and guided them through the roped off entrance to get in for free !!!
On 18 May 2014 at 7:53am thinker wrote:
So good to have something that wasn't slick and corporate: a relief.
Faces above the costumes became mediaeval - eerie.
Just good to have people on the streets in lovely sunshine. We usually nowadays live such private lives.
I know from conversations that people had donated so much time and effort to what could not have been a better cause! We could do with a bit of stripping of power from the forces ruling our contemporary lives.
Long live the amateur! It wasn't meant to be a production number for a demanding audience. Grrrrr!!
On 18 May 2014 at 8:35am Guppy wrote:
FrED UP needs to check his watch. Nothing happened at the Pan before 4.30. At the Gallops they delayed the start to keep it on time for us non-paying public even though re-enactors arrived early. Why do people try to undermine everything?
On 18 May 2014 at 8:45am Shardlake wrote:
Thank you to those who have posted positive comments. I took part in yesterday's pageant, which included the battle re-enactment on the downs. Many of us have given up our last 3 Saturdays, and more, to give the town something to mark the battle. Yes, it was amateur and yes, things could've run more smoothly at times, but the spectacle of the participants coming down Western Rd then into the High St was so colourful and animated. The crowds seemed to love it. It was a long, hot and tiring day for us, many of whom were young children, but no-one can say Lewes did not mark the 750th anniversary with enthusiasm.

On 18 May 2014 at 11:17am Dunk wrote:
We went to the Gallops, followed it down to the Black Horse then watched it go past the Pelham. It seemed more or less on time at that point and mostly rather jolly.
On 18 May 2014 at 1:14pm Rods Tiger wrote:
A single, simple question for disappointed and FrED UP. What did you DO to mark this occasion ?

On 18 May 2014 at 1:15pm nevillman wrote:
A really good day. Thank you to anyone involved in its organisation.
On 18 May 2014 at 3:14pm Battle Royal wrote:
Thank you all for your positive comments. Some of us have been planning this for the last 15 months, it was a leap of faith. We had no idea of how it would be received but many important events seem to pass Lewes by with nothing to mark the occasion. We therefore wanted to do "something". All funding for insurance, road closures etc came out of private pockets. There was no funding whatsoever! We were just a bunch of individuals putting in our own time and money to give the town a spectacle. We were also joined by a gentleman from Littlehampton who was doing a street collection for Victoria Hospital as a way of giving back to the community. The timings did go a bit off but we have never done this before!Until we arrived on Landport Bottom we had no idea how many people would turn up, it could be 50 or 500! We hope some of you enjoyed it and thank you for your support.
On 18 May 2014 at 5:23pm Annoyed Mother wrote:
I had a very disappointed child. Arrived on at the Gallops at the time advertised. No-one there - they were at the Black Horse by then and almost finished there. Was it so hard to wait until the right time?
On 18 May 2014 at 6:20pm FrED UP wrote:
It's not a good argument to say "what did u do" or "it was not funded" . The event was poorly executed. I agree there was plenty of enthusiasm. Don't waste ur money printing flyers with times on if ur not going to keep to them. Things can overrun etc but this was at the start both times.
On 18 May 2014 at 6:45pm Mary Mary wrote:
Annoyed Mother and Fred Up: The Event has happened. Please don't moan about it now. Having been involved, I loved every moment of it. Everybody around me loved every moment of it. You cannot possibly rehearse an event such as this so timings are always going to be tricky. I don't much care what you think but I feel compelled to respond because I know how much time and enthusiasm has been put into this event by a small band of dedicated workers. It was a community event put on by the community for the community. I am proud to have been part of it.
On 18 May 2014 at 9:58pm Shardlake wrote:
Dammit, I knew we should have waited for absolutely every single spectator to be ready before we started - what were we thinking? I can only apologise to those such as Annoyed Mother for our lack of consideration.
On 19 May 2014 at 7:00am Advice wrote:
You started too early. That was simply a stupid mistake and put all the other timings out. Why did you start early?

On 19 May 2014 at 10:31am Blah Blah wrote:
Yes stupid mistake starting too early but we hung about at the Gallops for 1 hour to get back the timings at the Black Horse but once we moved off there was no stopping, apart from scheduled stops, until we got to the Castle. Next time we know how long it will take and that the public are more than slightly interested!

On 19 May 2014 at 10:45am Happy Local wrote:
To Battle Royal, Shardlake, Mary Mary and everyone else that took part - well done, an excellent show, so what if timings were adrift at times, we followed it from start on Landport Bottom down to the Priory Ruins. There was a long wait at Priory, so we decamped to the Dripping Pan early, and got prime setas for the final showdown.
As for people moaning about lack of facilities at the Priory - what's wrong, couldn't you walk the 200yds to the Dripping Pan to use the (fairly well-publicised) open facilities (loos and bar)there?

To all re-encators and Lewes folk who took part - a heartfelt thanks for a great afternoon.
To all the detractors, given this was a self-funded event, never intended as a "visitor attraction" as such, lets see you attempt something on this scale (out of yur own pockets too), and get everything perfect from start to finish - then you can criticise the efforts of others.
Bet most of you moaners are bloomin' DFLs who give nothign back to the town you choose to colonise anyway! Maybe if you'd got involved then things would have run bang to time ;-)
On 19 May 2014 at 11:04am unhappy local wrote:
Lewes born and bred. I thought the chalklife festival was lame. Very disappointed to have missed the reinactment on the Downs/Gallops cos they started too early. Didn't bother with the Railway land camp....the tents didn't look very medieval to me
On 19 May 2014 at 6:04pm Pearliegirliestar wrote:
Flippin miseries. It was a good day. It was a spectacle to see everyone in their costumes coming down the hill. I enjoyed the reenactment at the Priory. I enjoyed the Battle at the Dripping pan. I just followed the crowd. Not difficult really, when you think how many of them there were. Bit like bonfire if you like seeing people dressed up and processing you will enjoy, timings are irrelevant really its not a show, its not part of the working day its a bit of fun. It was never meant to be a professional show for the amusement of tourists, more a day for the folks of Lewes to enjoy. Everyone I spoke to enjoyed the day, and many made a huge effort to take part.

On 19 May 2014 at 6:53pm Gerty wrote:
Loved it. Thanks due to the people involved. Ignore the freeloading moaners complaining about a free event like they have a divine right to swan around town benefitting from your efforts.

On 19 May 2014 at 9:31pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I don't know what event some of the other people attended, but I went to a really fun battle reconstruction at the Gallops and then followed a procession of people in excellent costumes down Western Road. It was all free and there was a really good atmosphere.
Sadly, the Railwaylands wasn't such a success when I went there. I took my mother and son on Sunday afternoon and it was deserted. Luckily, we spotted this before paying the 10 a head entrance fee. They should have scrapped the entrance charges and made their money on the stalls.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle Sunset 64:143
Lewes Castle Sunset

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie