Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

bangers in procession

On 25 Oct 2012 at 11:51pm banger wrote:
Well are we dropping them on the 5th or running scared, stand up and be counted time, or bend over and take one?
On 26 Oct 2012 at 1:01am V wrote:
what does your heart think?
On 26 Oct 2012 at 9:31am Pete wrote:
Drop 'em !
On 26 Oct 2012 at 10:01am Paul wrote:
I think shouldn't drop any in the 1st procession so the cops see it is the public letting them off after that I will be dropping as per usual
On 26 Oct 2012 at 10:19am s wrote:
i say drop them bonfire getting boring without them we being doing it for years now so why stop
On 26 Oct 2012 at 10:34am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I reallly hope no-one lets off any of the blue ones, the disregard for the ban would be taken as a clear sign that bonfire can't police itself, and the risk of injury is too great imo.
Are the enough of safer types around to make a decent noise? Just a few going off will sound weedy, I reckon. Maybe people should save what they have for the last processions, make a decent amount of noise then.
On 26 Oct 2012 at 10:46am someone else wrote:
ACT - the trouble is that the police position makes it all the more likely that blues will be used (not by me I hasten to add!). If everyone's going out on the 5th thinking they might be arrested for using any rooks at all, some people are going to have the attitude 'Sod it, might as well make it blues then'. It's been turned into a stand-off un-necessarily.

From the quantities of reds I've seen about the place, I wouldn't have any worries about shortages!
On 26 Oct 2012 at 11:01am MBS wrote:
Blues are a no-no but other than that ' Don't be Druv!!'

On 26 Oct 2012 at 11:10am someone else wrote:
I've heard it suggested that Tingley's Terrors will be videoing the whole proceedings and possibly bringing charges retrospectively. So, if I was going to drop rookies, I'd definitely have my scarf pulled up, my hat pulled down and I'd have blacked up a bit. Just in case anyone was thinking of doing anything.

On 26 Oct 2012 at 11:42am right hand man wrote:
surely people should no now the rule of bangers its getting stupid now u have all been told once why are you keeping it going by asking all the time

On 26 Oct 2012 at 11:58am From the top wrote:
Lets have some bangs , BUT , they need to be safe ones , we cannot have last years situation , and who on earth in their right mind would want to take a chance ,
On 26 Oct 2012 at 1:20pm justakid wrote:
heres a strange suggestion.Your a bunch of middle aged men getting thrills from setting of small bangers. And furthermore get all mardy when told you cant. Take a step back for a few seconds and digest that.
Perhaps walk down the street singing chants? Like any B&HA it will create just as much atmosphere?
On 26 Oct 2012 at 1:52pm someone else wrote:
justakid
Films are just a series of pictures of things moving.
Books are just long lists of words.
Music is just a series of noises.
See - we can all do wilfully missing the point if we try. Take a step back for a few seconds and digest that.
On 26 Oct 2012 at 2:42pm Ed Can Do wrote:
justakid, Bonfire will never, ever have the same atmosphere as a football match. For starters, society members don't beat up people from other societies for wearing the wrong colour shirt and perhaps more importantly, the leading figures in Bonfire aren't all massively over-paid racists.
On 26 Oct 2012 at 2:47pm justakid wrote:
Not quite the same analogy. Do you ever feel abit silly when you march?
On 26 Oct 2012 at 3:02pm ExperiencedTraveller wrote:
HA fair point ED! but surely the buzz of bonfire must be dwindling away for those who have been part of it for years?

On 26 Oct 2012 at 3:04pm someone else wrote:
justakid
Not in any way. If you lack the perception to see that others may not define the world according to your terms, that's your problem rather than mine.
On 26 Oct 2012 at 6:50pm justakid wrote:
I know that. But all the other festivals I have been to are full of culture, class and sophistication. This just seems, and is most likley, an excuse to get pissed and carry torches.
thats how i see it anyway
On 26 Oct 2012 at 6:59pm jackme off wrote:
And your point is ????
On 26 Oct 2012 at 8:16pm Tradition wrote:
It's the history of Lewes and its what makes our Town unique, if the non Lewes people don't like it then p**s off and make Lewes affordable for Lewes people!
Just my opinion though! ;-)
On 27 Oct 2012 at 4:34am grant haze wrote:
You have no respect for law and order throwing bangers in to crowds is stupid and mindless, when families come with their children. Do not forget you are responsible for a death of two fireman. I rest my case.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:43am teacher wrote:
How many times do we have to tell you thicko, bonfire night in Lewes is not for young children, if the parents dont heed this and a child gets hurt its not the fault of the societies. And in regards to the death of the two fireman I think it was a nasty and malicious thing to post. Our thoughts still go out to the families but trying to stir it up again is mindless and cruel.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 11:30am Enoch wrote:
Grant - You stoop far too low - even for this forum. You should be ashamed of yourself!
On 27 Oct 2012 at 11:57am banger wrote:
grant, you must be a pheonix member?
On 28 Oct 2012 at 12:18am Earl of Lewes wrote:
I'm all in favour of keeping tradition, but surely last year's blues were a new development? In all the years I've been to Bonfire, I've never felt worried about my safety until last year - those things really sting! I'm worried that someone will really get hurt and then the health and safety people (plus the anti-Bonfire brigade) will really put a dampner on things.

A bit of restraint would be appreciated.

On 28 Oct 2012 at 2:37pm ITS-ME! wrote:
@teacher
I'm 33 and from my early childhood I remember Bonfire, especially the processions earlier in the evening as being safe for young Children!
It more recent years the crowd has certainly got meaner with the huge influx of students coming from Brighton and London who treat it as a carnival event to get drunk at! In recent years the abuse directed at the procession from these students has surprised me!
As for bangers I feel there has been an escalation, the recent blue rook scarer's are nasty! I have welts on my legs and arms for several days after when fellow marchers drop them. I remember a couple of years back at the fire site having to get right in the face of a fellow member and explain exactly what I would do with him if he insisted on throwing them right at my feet! Lets not forget that not long ago there were some members of various societies making home made bangers using powder gleaned from fireworks...they were truly nasty and more like mini grenades! I was glad when there was a clamp down. One thing that is noticeable is a decade ago you were regarded as rather soft if you wore ear plugs but now even the most hardened of society members discretely pops them in on the procession! Frankly that is a clear sign that the bangers available have got louder and nastier! Now don't get me wrong I like bangers in the procession especially the set pieces when Chinese fire crackers are trailed down the street but we have to act responsibly! The truth is when somebody was blinded last year the police had no choice but to push a clamp down!
Bravado is all well and good but we have to strike a balance.

On 28 Oct 2012 at 6:17pm sussexbonfire wrote:
Grant - you are one sick tw@t! Now do one
On 28 Oct 2012 at 8:57pm Double Topp wrote:
@Grant....
1) Societys drop rookies.. they never 'throw them into the crowd'
2) Firemen filming a firework factory without putting a drop of water on it will get hurt. The biggest travesty is that their commander who didnt even look at the H&S report given to him on the factory sent the poor men in to film it!!??! He's the one who should be in nick. But he still has to live every day knowing what he did.
On 29 Oct 2012 at 10:58am Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Also, Grant Haze, that firework factory, and what happend there, was absolutely nothing to do with Lewes Bonfire Night, so how on earth can you say we are responsible? Similarly, saying we throw bangers into the crowd is completely untrue. It just shows how little you know, so perhaps you had best keep quiet, eh.

On 29 Oct 2012 at 7:20pm mickyboy wrote:
double topp you are spot on but the million dollar question that didnt get answered was "when control of the fire was lost and waterhad run out, it was deemed nessacary to withdraw all fire fighters and appliances from the site, why were two persons taking photos and film allowed to be left in such a dangerous location. sadly these two men did not die fighting a fire but unnessacarily filming one.
On 29 Oct 2012 at 10:02pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I was in a taxi the pther day and the taxi driver was telling me about these new bangers they call "Hand grenades" or something and how terrible it was all those people got blinded last year. I tried not to laugh and told him that hand grenades was just the hugely over the top way some medical expert described the blues from last year. I also pointed out that last year's blues were a new design with a much bigger plug in than previous years which is what caused a couple of injuries but that nobody knew the design was different until far too late and that they'd been banned now.

Terrifying though the power of the press, even on people wholive in Lewes who you'd expect to know better. The constant rehashing on here of people saying how stupid throwing fireworks into the crowd is kinda re-affirms that. No matter how many times we rationally tell people that society members don't throw bangers, they drop them and that the blues are banned, it's like people don't want to listen. Still, at least most of those people won't be coming along so it doesn't really matter if they don't listen to us.

Also a lot of negaticity on here is clearly just trolling.

On 31 Oct 2012 at 11:19am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Sounds like local cabbies are doing the same training in ignorance and prejudice as many of their London colleagues.
Some people insist we burn the pope, and don't get that being blown up as the highlight of a pyrotechnical display is a very different matter.

On 31 Oct 2012 at 3:08pm Podgy Pirate wrote:
Why am I so fat and unloved?

4 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Landport bound 52:132
Landport bound

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare