Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

...and another planning fiasco

On 5 Apr 2008 at 5:18pm S.Oliver wrote:
and now we learn of another fiasco, that gives Councillors an idea what it is like to be a Lewes resident. BBC TV has just reported that the Councillors have cut down an entire group of trees in a seaford cemetary without consultation because of their alleged affect on a wall. There is scaffolding and boards all over graves, and a nice new view of an industrial block.
Was the engineer the same man responsible for not consulting with residents of north St, Lewes, before demolishing and rebuilding (badly) some wall in the east St car park that is also now a long running dispute?

On 5 Apr 2008 at 6:47pm your say wrote:
there must be someone out there, or a collective, that questions all these things that are happening around us or are 'we' going to continue to be the proverbial ostrich...

On 5 Apr 2008 at 6:56pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
The Grange gardens have never been the same since all of those trees were cut down.
And what about Baxter's field? I see that some of The Avenue's residents have removed trees - against the wishes of the owners of Baxter's field - leaving it looking really bare.
Considering how long it takes to grow an oak tree, there should be a law against chopping them down without permission.

On 5 Apr 2008 at 11:55pm s.oliver wrote:
We elected them as Councilllors, and there are some that are listening, but what about the rest.? That is what is interesting about the seaford cemetary. The Council officers have got so used to doing what they like that they are now ignoring Councillors as well! the two on the BBC were horrified. Well now they know what it is like to be an everyday Lewes resident. Rees elliot have a record of removing trees inc luding ones by the old library one of which is yet to be replaced.

On 6 Apr 2008 at 12:41pm Stephen G. wrote:
If you would like to see what LDC will do without planning permission in the centre of the Lewes Conservation Area, take a look at the mess in the East St car park. The insensitively rebuilt piece of wall replaces a piece that was knocked down,and all the original C1800 bricks were taken away in a skip of rubbish. The rest of the leaning wall has just been left.
It is now 6 months later and I hear that finally LDC have realised that they need to consult neighbours.

On 8 Apr 2008 at 3:24pm Harry Mount wrote:
The trees near Baxters Field were in the back garden of the grey house that Rees Elliot have demolished and are now squeezing a bunch of new houses into. There was a lovely mature chestnut that provided welcome shade on sunny days in Baxters. All so Rees Elliot can sell the houses with a view of the castle. Apparently there are only about four trees actually within Baxters - all the others are in back gardens.
Also, the area behind where Circa Fish was has recently been denuded of trees (same developer). And the council has also decimated the trees by the side of the Prince Edwards Road bottleneck for no apparent reason, thus increasing traffic noise and reducing privacy for residents in Valence Road.
Councils just don't like trees - they seem to regard them as nasty messy things that cost money and get in the way of building work.

On 8 Apr 2008 at 7:28pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Martin Elliott does whatever he wants to in this town. If you're a chicken strangler you can, apparently.

On 8 Apr 2008 at 7:33pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Chicken strangler? - don't you mean (not so) pheasant plucker?

On 9 Apr 2008 at 4:56pm Enoch wrote:
Heard the one about a protester who has put a board up on the front of their house, using holes drilled 21years ago, which says "More Development, aren't you sick of it". They have been told by the council that they have 24hours to take it down or they will be taken to court for criminal damage to a listed building!!!! What about ancient walls? What about For Sale boards? The council have gone mad!!!

On 9 Apr 2008 at 8:30pm s.oliver wrote:
where is this, I'd like to take some inspiration from it. I doubt that the Council have any legal basis to stop it. i understand that Officerstry and stop even the most inocuous criticisms of their goings on.

On 9 Apr 2008 at 9:58pm SHS wrote:
Hear hear Harry. The simplest and cheapest method to reduce CO2 emissions has to be not to cut down trees! We criticise other countries for cutting down rainforest but here in Lewes district I reckon at least 1,000 trees are felled every year. The railway lines are being cleared of trees, forcing would-be passengers to use buses whilst the work is done. The whole townscape of Lewes is changing. Why is a building 100 years old worth more than a tree the same age? Could go on for another hour on this subject...

On 10 Apr 2008 at 9:56pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
The "offending" board is outside a property in Lansdown Place (between Hesketh's and the Pub).
If A4 paper copies were available of the "offending" board, I would be quite happy to paste one or two in my front window (and my car - might even park my car outside the planning dept).
Well done to whoever commissioned the "offending" board - it certainly demonstrates the hypocrisy of the Council.

On 10 Apr 2008 at 11:11pm s.oliver wrote:
I'll take 10 posters.
The officers ridiculous claim about listed building issues is especially ridiculous as LDC have now agreed that a wall in East St car park that they knocked down, and carted away in a skip, was listed. They didn't have permission, and the irreplaceable grey header bricks were carted away in a skip. The replacement is shoddy and insensitive, and is yet to be joined to the surviving part.
Nasty Bullies. This is our town, and we need to protect it from our own Council!

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine