Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

advanced notice

On 4 Sep 2010 at 9:06am arrietty wrote:
Highways Department notifications of future roadworks used to be posted as "advance warning", which I understood to be "a warning in advance" (a tautology in itself). Can any explain the linguistic thinking behind the new notices which say "Advanced Warning"? I can't work it out.

On 4 Sep 2010 at 12:32pm pedants mate wrote:
Flipping heck this place is turning into some sort of bore zone. Get over it and move on.

On 4 Sep 2010 at 2:16pm arrietty wrote:
If you haven't a clue, why bother to reply? There are plenty of more suitable threads here for you. As for me, I would like to see a decent standard of official English while it is still possible. Or is it?

On 4 Sep 2010 at 11:43pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
@ Arriety Presuming you understand the intention of the notice, what would you suggest instead ?

On 5 Sep 2010 at 8:36am arrietty wrote:
I just couldn't understand why it had suddenly become "advanced" instead of "advance" and got worried about my ignorance re correct grammar etc. I hoped Pedant might be able to put me right! Thanks for replying, Brixtonbelle.

On 5 Sep 2010 at 11:29am SPEELING PIARET wrote:
YARGH! U no advance enuff 2 unerstan!

On 8 Sep 2010 at 1:36pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Advanced Notice implies a notice that has been advanced, or presented if you'd rather. Advance notice is notice given in advance. They're both grammatically correct in their own ways but in the context of an early warning given of future disruption, I'd agree that Advance seems more appropriate. Maybe someone on the council runs a sign printing business on the side and they charge by the letter?

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Vikings lewes 127:132
Vikings lewes

Thank you Nevill man, some people are so selfish and donít understand the mental health of youngers more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo