Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Street Areas

On 28 Sep 2015 at 1:38pm trooper wrote:
As I walk around the town I see weeds and vegetation in the gutters and against walls etc,I cannot speak for the other estates in the town as do not live there but as for where I do live the street gutters have vegetation in some places over 1.5 to 2ft tall in every street.Has the council run out of money or is this not their responsibility.I tried asking and was told that they are not allowed to use weed killer any more (EU Law) can this be true ??
On 28 Sep 2015 at 2:03pm stoopor wrote:
Yes its true, the Muslums objected to it as it aginst Sherry law.Makes yer sick dun it plitical corectness gone mad.We should all leave urope and trade with the marshuns.
On 28 Sep 2015 at 2:39pm Weed Killer! wrote:
No I don't think that can be right that the Council aren't allowed to use Weed Killer. I expect they use a Health & Safety 'Non Toxic to Humans' Weed Killer..
I rang them up the other week and asked them if they had forgotten to deal with the Weeds in my Street. The kind woman from the Council said that she would ask the relevant department to deal with it and in a matter of a Week or Two they did. No more Weeds!
Webbo could do with some 'Toxic' spray for some of the Weeds that are on this Forum recently!
On 28 Sep 2015 at 4:32pm bastian wrote:
Austerity, you will have to live with weeds and pot holes until Mr Osbourne thinks he can allow you to have tidy streets again, no matter how much your council tax is.
On 28 Sep 2015 at 4:52pm Tipex wrote:
I agree Bastian. There's no point in blaming the council for everything wrong with the world when it's our tory government who are strangling local government. Weeds on the pavement? It's gonna get a lot LOT worse.

On 28 Sep 2015 at 6:02pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
@Stoopor - Come on, you've been funnier than that.
On 28 Sep 2015 at 6:16pm The Old Mayor wrote:
One used to see a chap with a tank on his back spraying the nooks and crannies on the streets, haven't done for years now. But as the locals love wild flowers and weeds in every verge, I suppose the council thought it an easy option to cancel. Still nice to see the town hall clad in scaffold, with not much action by the way, reinforcing the fact that they have the money for what they actually want. Will the lights ever come on again at night ?
On 28 Sep 2015 at 6:51pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Of course we could just pull up the weeds outside our own houses. I used to let them grow because they often turned into nice wild flowers, but I read somewhere that the plant roots create cracks that grow in size when rainwater turns to ice in cold weather.

On 28 Sep 2015 at 7:06pm wrote:
The Earl of Lewes owns many houses
One for Mr Earl and the other for the saucy jaunty Ms Lewes
On 28 Sep 2015 at 7:08pm wrote:
No wonder he doesn't have time for gardening !

On 28 Sep 2015 at 7:08pm Sunshine lucas wrote:
I think there will still be some weeding in the sacred 'conservation' area... Rather like the street lamp painting there are budgets and lines and all that malarkey.. Outside the zone we will have to deal with the horrors of peeling paint and er... weeds. We're not worthy after all.

On 28 Sep 2015 at 7:35pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
@On Mon - I wish.

On 28 Sep 2015 at 8:10pm I live in a posh bit wrote:
And there's still weeds on our street. Some of them are quite pretty
On 28 Sep 2015 at 8:19pm Tipex wrote:
I agree Bastian. There's no point in blaming the council for everything wrong with the world when it's our tory government who are strangling local government. Weeds on the pavement? It's gonna get a lot LOT worse...
On 28 Sep 2015 at 10:08pm Mavis wrote:
If it was just down to the local councils, we would have everything and the rates would be sky high !!
On 28 Sep 2015 at 10:54pm John Smith wrote:
I'm afraid the council's approach these days is literally slash and burn. There was a lovely green jungle at the junction of St Pancras Rd and Rotten Row which has simply been strimmed to the ground. I was sad to see that.
On 29 Sep 2015 at 7:01am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The state of road maintenance in Lewes generally is dreadful, and I agree it's not going to get any better.
Considering it's a busy route into town, the bit of Nevill Road southbound, from Landport Fork to the green, is awful. It's not only potholed, but there are great ruts opening up in it. A couple more years (or one bad winter) and it'll resemble a farm track.
Driving these days involves looking at the road surface almost as much as checking what the traffic is doing.
On 29 Sep 2015 at 4:46pm TDA wrote:
Some ''weeds'' on our road grow up every year to 2 metre high hollyhocks. I always worry someone from the council will blitz them, but luckily they don't.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Five Lewes Pounds 37:132
Five Lewes Pounds

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa